close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

This isn't legal, right?

Discussion in 'Illinois Glockers' Club' started by CBRGlocker, Feb 6, 2008.

1. CBRGlocker

CBRGlocker

Dec 11, 2004
    The other day I was out shoveling. The guy who lives 2 houses down (a great guy that I shoot with from time to time) pops over. He shows me a new S&W 642 that he carries in his snowsuit. According to him, he can legally carry concealed on his property. I'm obviously not going to raise a stink about him but I'd also hate to see him get in trouble.

Can we carry on our own property? We don't live in a rural area.

2. Dean

Dean

Nov 4, 2006
    In my states of WA, OR and NY the answer is YES, you can carry on your own residential property. Of course you can.

3. G19Wino

G19Wino Junior Warden

May 7, 2007
    You will find your answer here: 720 ILCS 5/

I am no law expert but I have asked myself the same question and it appears that it is not unlawful to possess or carry on or about your person when on your land or in your own abode or fixed place of business.
    I however don't know for sure if you have to own the land (vs rent).

I am sure ISP2605 will confirm that when he has a minute.:wavey:

4. CBRGlocker

CBRGlocker

Dec 11, 2004
    G19Wino I looked it up and it is legal to carry on your own property.

I must be overly paranoid these days.

Thanks everyone

5. isp2605

isp2605

Oct 2, 2002
    IL
    You're 100% correct.
    I always have to issue the usual disclaimer tho - a city could have more restrictive ordinances.

6. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

True. What I don't get it the subjective nature of it. When I called my local PD (Rockford City Police) the officer that answered the question told me that it is technically legal (he stressed that word), but if a neighbor sees it and calls in to complain about a "man w/ a gun" that I would most likely be arrested for disturbing the peace.

I just don't get that.