close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

This is why we shoot thumbs forward!!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by rsxr22, Nov 29, 2010.

1. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Im posting these to give people who dont use this grip or are inbetween visuals to why the majority of shooters, shoot high thumbs forward.

Story:
    While teaching a CCW course this weekend. The range officer(who is supposed to make sure no one gets injured) decided to interrupt me while I was instructing my students on proper gun grip. He said that it was not a better grip for recoil management. And I shouldnt be teaching students only one way! I told him I only teach one way on a semi auto, but different on a revolver. I proceeded to also tell him what his "actual job" was supposed to be and if he really disagreed, we could show the class first hand! I told him to shoot two rounds and I would shoot 7 and we would see who managed recoil better, he accepted with a smirk on his face. So I'll let you guys pick the winner on this one, Im shooting in the 2nd video!:wavey:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Ummmm It didnt work, any one know how to post videos? I uploaded them through photobucket and could watch them here!!! HEELP

3. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Aug 25, 2005
    Florida
    Try the link feature not the image feature. It's the one with the world and the infinity symbol.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    added links

5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    and here are 2 animations.
    i didn't teach my guy friend to shoot, but i taught my friends wife to shoot.
    they are both shooting a G24.

Photo's were taken at the same FPS.

175# guy with bad technique.
    [​IMG]

110# female with better technique, though she kept locking her elbow
    [​IMG]

6. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

Jul 27, 2010
    DC
    Cool vids. I hope you masked your chagrin better than I would have.

7. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    it was her first time shooting and she shot better than her husband.
    she also shot an AR for the first time that day, she was in the 9-ring using iron sights and had a bullseye on her 2nd round fired.

female's make the best students.

8. chrisman17

chrisman17 Boom

Jan 31, 2004
    New Orleans

The weiner is the guy in the first video!!!:tongueout:

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA

I gotta agree there, my GF has been shooting with me for 6 months loves it and it moving up the skills ladder quickly. She will be shooting IDPA this comming new year, after a little more holster draw time and mag change drills.

10. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    HAHA definitely! I shut him up real quick!! Its BS that i even have to pay this guy! We do our shooting at a private club that requires a RO, well im a RO!, but im not a club member :whistling:

Thanks for adding those links Don! I agree in part that women are better students. Women normally dont have much experience so its not as hard to teach them "correct grip" whereas a lot of men think they already know how to shoot when really they dont. One age group of men i hate instructing is about 50+. Mainly because there is no changing them, no matter how much you show them! Just like this guy i embarrassed! After we were all done, he picked up his gun and began shooting STILL WITH THE SAME GRIP! I dont get it! If a 24 yr old pup, just taught old dog a new trick, why wouldnt you want to try and see how it works?? Im sure he did, just waited till i was gone LOL:rofl:

11. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Pell City, Alabama
    To be honest, I have tried both and found the non-thumbs forward to be better in controlling recoil for me.

12. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    How is that? Is it because it's more comfortable?? At Roger's shooting school, He did demonstrations to prove that there is no other virtual way to get 360 degree contact. Had about 7 different associate instructors all with HUGE to small hands grip the gun in every possible configuration and every single time he was able to find a gap or weak spot. After he used string interweaved in between the same peoples fingers, had them grab the gun the correct way, and then pulled on the string and it looked to me almost that the guns were stuck in the shooters hands.
    Could you show some photos of your grip and some of you shooting?

13. i'd say you embarrassed him a little. :supergrin:

14. G21FAN

Apr 23, 1999
    Pell City, Alabama
    I think it has something to do with how short my thumbs are, as with the thumbs forward grip the pistol tends to want to torque out and up to the left, causing the grips to shift on each shot.

Sorry, I don't have pics of my grip or me shooting yet.

I basically lock my right thumb down with my left, which is somewhat extended.

Thumbs forward my left thumb would end around the trigger pin area, no further.

My left thumb is closer to the slide release when I lock down.

15. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    like this?

[​IMG]

16. G21FAN

Apr 23, 1999
    Pell City, Alabama
    Sorry, no pic came thru.

17. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
  18. G21FAN

Apr 23, 1999
    Pell City, Alabama
    Yep, except my left thumb ends where his second joint is.