close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This is getting a bit worrisome.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GioaJack, Apr 22, 2011.

1. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

As my daughter drove me back up the mountain from the hospital yesterday I noticed something in the sky that is not a welcome sight for mountain dwellers;
    an air tanker dropping fire retardant and a helicopter with a water bucket.

Turns out we have a forest fire blazing within two miles of the house. Although several mountain homes were evacuated late yesterday afternoon the winds are coming from the west, southwest and the fire is basically to the east, northeast of me.

Although it has calmed in the last hour or so the winds were a steady 20 mph with gusts of 30 mph. That may not be a blessing since it might be more likely that embers could drift back toward the west. If you've never been near a forest fire suffice it to say that you will not save your home by standing on the roof with a garden hose and if it's within a couple of miles and the wind is blowing in your direction you may have enough time to swing open pasture gates to let the livestock fend for themselves, climb in your vehicle and get the hell out.

Over the years I've been evacuated several times but the warning was always early enough to at least throw stuff on the trailers, in the motor home and in the trucks and head in the opposite direction. The worst was during the Hayman fire, it got within six miles, had burned 130,000 acres and was headed straight for us. Had several friends who lost absolutely everything. You don't stop a fire like that... even with a 10 mm. :supergrin:

Unfortunately we had no winter around here this year, we're around 70 inches behind average snowfall and it's as dry as a case of popcorn flatulence. Last month there were 64 fires and the fire season doesn't even start until May 1st. This could be a real long summer... or a real short one, depending on how the wind blows.

Now I gotta decide what to take with me if I have to evacuate, the guns, 1050's, powder and primers... or the grandkids? :dunno:

I'm really gettin' too old for this... or maybe it's just the excitement I need. Either way, life goes on... there'll always be someone I can piss off.

Jack

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Well, maybe the grandkids can hold the 1050's, guns, etc..? ;)

Hopefully the winds stay in your favor

IGF

3. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Jack, you lived in Florida long enough to know that one needs to take precautions and to begin preparing WELL IN ADVANCE of any of the sanity checks that Mother Nature occasionally throws at us. That said, I'd be more than willing to send my address so that you can prepare in advance.

With that problem solved, you'd best grab the grandkids... :cool:

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

I will be happy to evac those 1050's for you tonight. :)

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Save the primers!!!!

You should have let me log up there last fall.

6. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

Where is that big water tank & fire hose Jack?

7. 6StringGeek

6StringGeek
    Expand Collapse
    full-time n00b

We had a big fire near our house (luckily the winds changed) and the insurance co. told us to take photos of everything in and outside of the house for our claim. She said that there was no way we could provide a complete inventory off the top of our heads...good advice.

8. sellersm

sellersm
    Expand Collapse
    disciplinare

Plenty of room at my house for storing your stuff, plus I'm closer than Steve. :whistling:

Stay safe.....

I do expect more and more of this to happen as summer comes along. It's just so dry around here! :crying:

9. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Been raining here in the springs every afternoon. Just starting to turn green.

Hope you guys get a little relief.

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Check your phone messages you Lee Loving Ford guy.

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Argh! Didn't see that.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Jack is not one of us mere mortals.. You forget that Jack is a trained investigator, with the memory of a cat, and the reflexes of an elephant... er.. :)

IGF

13. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

I think you fellas in Colorado should all send your equipment and arms to Florida for safe storage, at least until the fire season is over. No need to be sending it from one house to another, only to have to move it again as you run from yet another fire fury.

I'm sure if I don't have the room, that UncleBob would also be more than willing to show some southern hospitality and devote some room, too.

14. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

It warms the cockles of my heart to see how concerned you all are about my guns and loading equipment. Such compassion is a rare thing in today's society.

The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis.

Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front. :fist:

Jack

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Are you nuts? There's moisture down there!

16. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Nascar Sucks!

17. leeward419

leeward419
    Expand Collapse

No one asked if you were ok, ie the HOSPITAL visit?
    You ok?
    Hope all is well

18. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Updates? Two miles could have been covered by now. Good luck Jack.

19. themighty9mm

themighty9mm
    Expand Collapse

Kill it with fire jack.
    Maybe not the whole thing but around your property. Seems like you have 5 options.
    Take out the fuel, take out the oxygen, water, wait n hope, or run for the lowlands. I will go out on a limb and guess you dont have a giant BBQ lid, or a hose that can pump enough water. A controlled burn around your property might be enough depending on how much property you have.

#19 themighty9mm, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  20. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Had to go in for a CT scan and MRI. It's alway good for a few grins when the radiologist sees how many times I've broken my back... then they tell me there's no way I can still be walking, as I turn and walk away. (They're use to dealing with lesser men... flatlanders mostly. :whistling:)

If I set a backfire I'm pretty much gonna have to burn 6 to 7 thousand trees. I'm guessing the fire department is gonna frown on that. Besides, where would I hold our paintball wars?

Jack