close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

this gets on my nerves..

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by thecableguy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=302712

Guy buys a LB from looking at the pictures it doesn't look right. The OP is asking for opinions and guys on there are telling him to go shoot it and forget about what he is upset about. Excuse me but if I pay 2000 for a semi-custom and it looks like that I am not going to shoot it and forget about the things that aren't right. I it were a Kimber or some other brand he probably would of got talk down on for buying an inferior 1911. I wonder if some of these guys were to go buy a ZR-1 and it had mismatched wheels would they forget about it after they drove it. That thread just goes to show how much fanboyism runs rampant on some of these forums.
    Sorry about the rant but threads like those just irk the hell out of me.
    Off soap box now.

2. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    No it just shows now nancified some 1911 owners have become. They think that spending $2K on a 1911 should mean it's superficially perfect, rather than focus on function. He should just man up and go shoot it.. IMO.

3. Or...it could show that increased knowledge engenders a higher level of expectations.

4. Are you kidding me. It has nothing to do with being nancified it is paying for something that is advertised as being one of the tightest guns and well built 1911s' around and getting something that you would expect from a regular (i.e. not semi-custom) 1911. Maybe for you 2 grand is a drop in the bucket but for me it's not. If and when I buy a Baer it is going to be because of the reputation they have as being a solid well put together 1911, but you better believe that if I end up with something like that it is going right back. I don't care if the gun shoots the wings of a fly in mid flight I want exactly what I paid for because that is what they advertise, and the reason I purchased their product.
    I install cable tv for a living and if I came to your house and installed it and left it looking grainy would you be all right with that? I mean after all tv isn't that important anyways you will still be able to make out what they look like and hear everything.

5. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
    :agree:

Anytime someone uses the "slide/frame" as a complaint, it makes me wonder, but it is the end-all of a 1911 :upeyes:.

Oh noes, it racks easily, who'd want that? Baers commonly have the crooked hammer strut problem, but I remember the 25,000 round TRS having the same and it not causing any problems.

I don't see the problem, boohoo, it isn't 100% perfect. I've seen 1911's twice the price of a TRS and have flaws. Hell, I don't think I own a 1911 that I can't find some type of flaw on.

I think too many people are worried about looks, after all, look for the threads about "How do I stop holster wear" and similar ":aodnsb:".

The more I think about, I question how many are actually shot, and not just with a camera.

But just for safety, I'll make the call

[​IMG]

6. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Just my .02

1. Baer 1911s are too tight to begin with so a "loose" Baer is a good thing IMO. I do not want a work out when working the slide on a 1911 :dunno: I know others disagree but the only Baer I have owned was too tight for my taste.

2. The pictures do not look bad to me at all. The TRS is a working gun not a safe queen by any means. I would bet that TRS shoots and shoots and shoots. There is nothing present in those pics I would be concerned about for reliability.

3. I can understand the thought process that a $2000 1911 should be "perfect" but IMO that is not reality. The price is based on workmanship and parts, not artistic perfection. Not at the $2000 level anyways.

4. That guy really hated FCS, he sold a TRS to buy a TRS without FCS :supergrin: Can not blame him as FCS are the devil's work but not sure I would sell a 1911 to turn around and buy the exact 1911 without them. But the man knows what he wants and goes for it :supergrin:

5. Unless one collects 1911s (and that is a heck of a nice hobby to have) then take the darn gun out and shoot it, don't worry about the cosmetics issues or perceived mechanical issues based on "looseness".

The old guy is celebrating his 100th year, quit insults his manhood, he ain't meant to be pretty just deadly :tongueout:

And I agree holster wear is sweet. I ordered my Brown KC with no Gen III cause I like honest holster wear. Nothing as sweet as a holster worn blue 1911 IMO. My CQB Compact already has holster wear and some dust cover wear in the ArmorTuff finish. It's honest and I like it :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  7. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    One of these days said people believing they have "increased knowlege" might actually graduate to owning full house customs, then they might realize how cosmetically imperfect some semi-customs are or can be. Now if this gun is reliable and shoots like a laser like most LBs do from my experiences then he should quite whining, if not then he should send it back. Otherwise, the diaper filled safe/white glove crowd needs to realize that these things are tools, not works of art. If you want a work of art, call up one of the LTW smiths.

8. Gunshine

Gunshine

Jan 3, 2011
    Florida
    I read the post and tend to agree. I would send it back. I understand the go shoot it and don't worry about advice but this is more about aesthetics and the perception of quality then function.

9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    What kind of sissy gets rid of a perfectly good 1911 just because it has FCS. :upeyes:

10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Feb 3, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yea really...I just wouldn't even buy one from the beginning! :rofl:

11. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

Jul 21, 2010
    S Oh
    If other $2k Baer's are better fit that that $2k Baer... Id be wanting a different Baer for my $2k.

The folks that say STFU and go shoot it, probably didnt spend $2k on an ill fitting Baer.

12. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Question.
    Answer. And my thoughts exactly.

13. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

A small amount of slide to frame play is good for reliability. If he complained about play between the barrel and bushing in full lock up THEN he would have something to complain about.

14. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Sure it is. People that don't shoot their 1911s worry about stuff like this. Les Baer is known for having reliable, accurate guns with a good lockup, not for blending the rear of the slide.

That's not what I said. I said that they are tools and people need to realize that a 2K 1911 may or may not be perfect COSMETICALLY. They can be PERFECT TOOLS however.

Most people purchase their products to defend their lives or to put rounds downrange reliably and accurately. Looking absolutely perfect through a microscope in the safe or holster is generally a secondary concern to experienced 1911 shooters.

That's a REALLY reaching analogy and makes no sense. Grainy TV would be like poor accuracy or a FTF every mag. FWIW, I've NEVER seen a cable guy do a cosmetically perfect install. (not that I expect them to)

My advice is that you should never buy a 1911 in the 2K range because once again, these aren't works of superficial art, they never were meant to be.

15. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    IF I dropped that kind of coin on a 1911, that is known for a TIGHT 1911 and mine is up to snuff. I would call and try and get it fixed. I don't care if its okay or purely cosmetic. If I want something fitted poorly I would bought a production gun with the same features and half the cost.

16. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    To each their own but simple put from those pictures there is nothing mechanically wrong with that 1911. Certainly I would not categorized that as poor fitting. Gun may be a lemon but that can not be determined from those pictures.

The "play" he speaks about is normal on a 1911 but of course we have no ideal how much there is from a simple text description so it is hard to say if it is an issue on that gun.

Why someone would want a slide that is not smooth & easy to work by hand I have no ideal, a tight slide does not improve performance in anyway that I know. Bragging rights maybe? If that is the case I rather show a friend a nice smooth slide action than a bank vault.

Tightest slide I ever had on a 1911 was a $500 STI Spartan. Baer, Brown, Wilson all had "looser" slide action that that bank vault. IMO both the Spartan and the Baer were way to tight.

Cosmetics are something each of us has to decide on as to their importance.

I would be surprised if Baer did anything to "correct" the issues in that picture. I think they will say those are within specs.

I also agree that buying sight unseen is a gamble. I once bought a NIB S&W .45 ACP revolver from Buds, darn thing came without a front sight. Also bought the STI Spartan from them, had I been in a store no way I would have purchased a 1911 with a slide that tight.

17. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    Doesn't exist. However, if you can find me a carbon steel frame and slide gun, tool steel parts, Kart barrel, undercut frame, checkering, and a bank vault lockup then I'm all ears.

18. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    You're right, but my point still stands if it wasn't what I expected and wasn't up to the companies normal standards I would be calling the manufacturers

19. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    Good thing he didn't end up with this $2500 NHC. :rofl:

[​IMG]