close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

thinking slim 9mm

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 1canvas, Mar 11, 2013.

1. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking about a slim 9mm for some summer carry. up until now my summer carry is a 27, .357 j-frame, and sometimes a P3-at 380. I just though a small slim light weight 9mm would be another good option between the j-frame and the 27. the two I'm looking at is a Kel-Tec P9 and a Ruger LC9. the LC9 seems like a quality gun and it would be my clear choice but the trigger has a very long pull and breaks when the trigger about hits the frame. to those that own a LC9 has the trigger been an issue?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. eaglefrq

eaglefrq
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I have an LC9 and I love it. The trigger is long, but isn't a problem. I've got approx 200 rounds through mine and I think it's gotten a little smoother. I've also learned where the break is and I can pull to the break quickly and then steady through the break.

I highly recommend it, you won't be sorry.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

#2 eaglefrq, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. Texas_eye

Texas_eye
    Expand Collapse

I have a Kahr cm9 and don't like it much. Stay away from that choice. Springfield has a XDS 9mm coming in summer if you feel like waiting.

4. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I just picked up a Shield 9 recently. It's great.

5. cysoto

cysoto
    Expand Collapse
    Gone Shooting!

+1 on the XDs 9mm but, with the current market conditions, we may have to wait until the end of this year (at best) before we see them on the market.

#5 cysoto, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. flw

flw
    Expand Collapse

+1

Has a great Glock like trigger. If you like a Glock trigger, which I do.

7. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis
    Expand Collapse
    Scottish Member

Just purchased a shield 9mm as well.

Overall better trigger than the Ruger and the keltec. Much shorter reset. Not quite as good as my 9L, but very useable. The LC9 trigger is fairly smooth, even if it is long.

The s&w gives you 9 rounds vs the lc9 8 rounds. The s&w has a semi-staggered magazine which tapers to a single stack near the top of the magazine. Since the magazine well is wider than then top of the magazine, it makes reloads fairly easy.

The shield is a bit larger and heavier, looking at the specs you wouldn't think that it would be that noticeable, but it is for pocket carry.

8. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

i beg to differ on the CM9 comment, mine has been flawless for nearly 2 years and about 2000 rounds. smooth long trigger, no manual safety needed. shoots easy and to POA

9. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

I'm wanting light weight and flat as possible, the P9 and LC9 are the limit on size and weight. the P9 looks a little ruff compared to the LC9 but its over 100.00 less.

10. WarEagle32

WarEagle32
    Expand Collapse

I was very excited about my LC9 after loving my LCP so much. I absolutely hated my LC9 and sold it. That is a terrible trigger, very hard to fire fast and accurate, unlike many other choices for near the same money. I love my Glock 26, and carry it virtually everywhere with its 11 rounds at 20 ounces. My other choice if I were you would be a Shield. One of those two for sure!

11. Adamz04

Adamz04
    Expand Collapse

I bought an lc9 with the same intentions as you. Let me just say it was JUNK!! Most disappointed I've ever been with a gun purchase. Enough so that I'll never own another ruger. Front sight was off center in the dovetail. Worst trigger ever. Failure to eject 1-2 rds per mag. Mag catch would stick and scrap the mag up and down the mag well. Complete piece of $&£t.

12. barth

barth
    Expand Collapse
    six barrels

I almost pulled the trigger on a Walther PPS 9mm.
    But after the third shooting I shifted gears.
    Got a AK, mags and ammo instead.
    [​IMG]

13. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I like the Shield better than the LC9 and I like the LC9 better than the KelTec. The LC9 has been an adequate pistol for me but the Shield has, for me, totally eclipsed it. After just a couple hundred rounds it felt as if I had been shooting it for years. Both are just a bit too big for me for pocket carry (except in loose shorts) so the size difference does not matter to me.

14. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns
    Expand Collapse

I carry my Rohrbaugh R9s more than anything else. I believe that it is still the smallest and lightest 9mm. I have given several to close friends and family and everyone of those people love theirs. It is a quality firearm.
    http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products''

RJ

15. ubimow

ubimow
    Expand Collapse

I agree! I LOVE my CM9!!! I have both the Glock 26 and the M&P9C as well and I cant remember the last I carried either one of them. The Kahr is SO much easier to carry, has a great trigger (IMO) and has very mild recoil.

16. cessnastud

cessnastud
    Expand Collapse
    Rawr!!!

Make mine a K9. It's heavier, but I carry AIWB, so it's doable.

17. Rockimook

Rockimook
    Expand Collapse

Shield all the way

18. glowrod

glowrod
    Expand Collapse
    Fightin' Fire

I did pull the trigger recently on the PPS. Have not CCW'd with it yet. It is an excellent shooter and very accurate. Just something to consider.

19. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

I have an LC9 and the trigger hindered me from shooting it as accurately as the gun was capable of. Installed Galloway Precision hammer and bar and it made a world of difference. The trigger is not lighter but the long pull is gone. Other than that the gun has ate everything I have fed it. I suppose I have shot it around 300 rounds. It is very light and concealable. I hear Ruger is offering a 9 round mag for it but have not seen one yet.

20. HWA GLOCKER

HWA GLOCKER
    Expand Collapse