close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thinking of selling my Dillon 550B - need info

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bren, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I haven't done much reloading in a few years and I have a Lee single stage, a Lee turret and a Dillon 550B with a roller handle and a few extra pickup tubes.

I'm thinking about selling the Dillon and putting the money into other things.

What is a little-used 550B going for these days?

Is it still a lifetime waranty even for people who buy it second-hand? (That was always a big selling point.)

Anybody have any experience with selling them on Ebay vs. Gunbroker vs. here, etc?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Another question - what's the best way/place to unload some of my giant tub of once-fire brass?

3. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    Seems like there's a fair number of people on here looking for 550's. I think brass is around $2/lb as scrap now.

4. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Brass is best cleaned & sold in lots fo 500 to reloaders, you'll get far more than scrap prices. A nice pre owned stock 550B, about $350-$375 is all you can expect. Shipping cuts into that a bit, as you can buy new w/ free shipping. Me, I would never sell mine unless I had two.

5. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    A new 550b set-up for one caliber and aluminum roller handle goes for $550 delivered from BE. I would ask $450 cash FTF and call it a day.

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    You can check eBay. I just did a search for 'Dillon 550B' and there are several for $350-$400

Yes

From an 'Economics 101', eBay forms a market. Therefore, both the seller and the buyer think they got a good deal. The problem is, most of the 550Bs are "Buy It Now" and there are only a very few bids on the others (and the first bid is usually from the seller to establish a floor price). It's hard to say that there is really a 'market' with many sellers and many buyers.

If you want, say $350, you can set it up as "Buy It Now" or you can put a reserve price below which it won't sell.

Considering the hassle to ship it plus the fact that eBay wants a cut, you might think about taking it to a local range and see if anybody wants it. You could also hang 'For Sale' notices on the bulletin board.

There's a classified section here on GT.

Most of the used 550Bs sell at nearly full price so there is good news and bad: First, you are likely to get a decent price. Second, the buyer might as well bite the bullet and order a new one. They can get free shipping via BrianEnos.com so that saves them, perhaps, $30.

Richard

7. TX Archer

TX Archer

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Your best bet on that is to pack it all up and send it straight to me for safekeeping. I can send my address if you don't already have it.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
  9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    You can sell your brass right here on GT, the buy/sell forum.

Use the Post Office "flat rate" boxes, they allow shipping for a pre-determined rate. Pick up a few and see how many you can fit in one (as in max).

But you can almost just use other people's prices as a guide line, maybe low ball them a little so you can move yours.

10. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    When I sold my 550 I just mentioned it at an IDPA match. Sold it for my asking price that day.

11. Saugus

Saugus

Sep 13, 2012
    Do you have any pics or further information you can offer. I might be interested in the 550B depending on what caliber is was set up for. PM me if you like. Maybe we can make medicine.

12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I agree with the FTF way of doing it. If you have access to a large number of shooters (club, IDPA etc.) you could probably sell it pretty quickly. It could easily be an impulse buy for someone even if they already have one. Gun owners can be impulsive about stuff like this. FTF would save you the cost of shipping, which even if passed on to the buyer ends up coming out of your pocket indirectly because the buyer would be willing to pay less for the press itself.

Also, registering, paying fees, to just sell one item online is a bit of a pita IMO. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I'd much rather just bring the thing to a match and see if someone wants to cough up the money and take it home with them.

13. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    [​IMG]

:whistling:

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    What cartridges do you have, and how many?

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The brass is mostly 9mm, followed by .40 and .45. Unsorted, but lots of Winchester white box. I expect there's over 100 lbs. - it's a 30 gallon steri-lite bin and the lid won't go on.

I haven't loaded a round since about 2008, but my wife says I shouldn't sell the Dillon. I'm having a hard time deciding. heck, I only use it for 9mm. I reload revolver ammo on the turret press and rifle on the single stage.

16. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Today I have already heard noise about an ammo tax. If you don't really need the money your wife is right.

17. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I'd keep 'em. Those are real common and you may start reloading them again.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I dont say this often any more. But... Listen to your wife. Keep.the press.

19. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Wow I would think over 100 pounds. I have a five gallon bucket full of 9mm that weighs 90 pounds. There are around 11,000 cases in it.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    According to my wife - "Obama won the election, you need to keep all of the reloading and shooting stuff."