close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking of going skydiving , any advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by raven11, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

Damn good post, never thought of it quite this way. I'm going skydiving.

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Where are you located?...we'll help you find a DZ that's not just a tandem factory, but a home.

3. Hamrhed

Hamrhed AKs & Glocks

My dad moved us to Florida around '74, and he jumped many times at Zhills and Riverview. I enjoyed the atmosphere and cameraderie he had with his buddies- they were most definitely a tribe (anyone know what the Cardinal Puff ritual is?). I thought I might join them when I was old enough... wasn't meant to be.

My dad passed away at Riverview in May of '79: just one of those days when a simple malfunction changes lives forever... I miss him dearly- and I would probably be a jumper if not for the respect I have for my mother.

4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The tribe is alive in well in Zhills. Go reconnect :wavey:

I didn't connect either... my love is below 1ATM.

We all have a path.

5. Hamrhed

Hamrhed AKs & Glocks

Amen... be safe :wavey:

6. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

I'll join you, one of these days.

7. raven11

raven11

Well today's jump got canceled due to wind/gust I'll post up the video when the weather improves and I jump

8. The Maggy

The Maggy

Good for you for getting out to the dz. Unfortunately weather is the nature of the sport. Don't give up on it, even the biggest bad ass in the sport was grounded by the winds a for a few days.

9. nursetim

nursetim

Just don't do it in a kilt without charging a burlesque tax first. You'll see a theme developing in my responses.

10. snowcrash75

snowcrash75

Skydive Chicago, CSC, or other?

11. snowcrash75

snowcrash75

[ame="http://vimeo.com/49805056"]http://vimeo.com/49805056[/ame]

Quick and dirty edit my buddy Jean recently put together of an angle camp this year at the Ranch (one of three). I'm the one in the grey and red rig.
    Like the rest of the GT jumpers who've chimed in, this may get a hold of you. Like sns3guppy said, its about freedom. My favorite thing about jumping is that it is the most clear you may ever be in your entire life. Everything is about that very moment, without preoccupation, or distraction. Things are as you see them to be, and you will NEVER forget how good it feels. Everyone has to die someday. Until then, you might as well really LIVE :)
    C33579

From 1:44 to 2:07, we were flying along the edge of a cloud that I'd put about four or five thousand feet tall. Nothing makes me grin bigger than 140 miles an hour and a big ol cloud ;-D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  12. raven11

raven11

csc

13. snowcrash75

snowcrash75

Awesome! Either of those DZ's kicks ass, and are both extremely reputable. Don't be disappointed about the wind, it comes with the territory, and as the old saying goes, "It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground."

14. raven11

raven11

I agree, today they called me at 8:00am to let me know that they could call off jumps due to wind. so I let them know that i have to leave to drive to the airport at a certain time so they called me before I left to say that they could not jump today.

(because i'm thinking you can't refund online purchases)they also gave me a free reschedule for the next 365 days

15. snowcrash75

snowcrash75

You best be rescheduling soon, or put that receipt on a high shelf til June. Not that you can't jump year round, but it's better to wait until you REALLY love it before you jump in the winter (some of you guys know what I'm talking about :p )...think 20 degrees with 125 mph winds. I'm more of a shorts and tshirt kind of jumper! I'll cut down from 4-6 jumps every weekend the weather agrees to 1ish a month in the cold times. A weekend or two in Florida over the winter, but otherwise, this is the time of year I like the least. I'm sure at the range a lot more!!