Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Thinking of getting an AR or AK

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by MtnBiker, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm thinking of getting an AR or AK type rifle. I'm not a fan of 5.56. I'm considering either 7.62 NATO or 7.62 x 39. I don't have a lot of rifles. I want something I'll enjoy shooting at the range, but I can also rely on if the SHTF. Given a 100 M shot or less, I'd like to be able to venison on the table too. My price point is $1200 (do I need to add "or less"?).

I had an SKS a few years ago. I suppose they vary a lot. That one was fun to shoot, but my 10 mm pistol was more accurate. I sold the SKS.

Many of you guys have a wealth of experience in the rifle space. Do you have rifle suggestions? Does anyone have experience with both calibers and maybe some view of advantages of one over the other? How about guns to avoid?
  2. Magelk

Jul 17, 2011
    I'm thinking ar in 6.8. Although ammo can be a bit more expensive but it's becoming popular with hog hunters.

3. Bimmer1

May 27, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Aren't there a few 7.62 AR's out there? Just get a Saiga in 7.62 and shoot the heck out of it.
  4. javelinadave

javelinadave Hebrew Hammer

Aug 14, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    An AR compared to an AK is apples to oranges. One is a precision rifle and the other is a projectile launching tool. Each serves its own purpose and I own a few of each but I couldn't tell you to get one over the other.
    I suggest your find a buddy that has both and take them for a spin.
    As for 7.62x51 and 7.62x39 question. The 7.62x51 is a much more accurate round out of an AR compared to the 7.62x39 round out of an AK. If you are shooting 100 yards it won't much matter. If you are reaching out to touch someone the AR is the way to go.
    As for an ammo price stand point the AK ammo is about 1/2 the price of the 7.62x51 for factory loads.
  5. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    So your 10mm handgun was more accurate than a shoulder fired rifle? At what distance??? Just curious.
  6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

Jun 19, 1999
    25 yards. That SKS was a POS. Maybe the barrel had issues or it didn't like the ammo. It was reliable, just very inaccurate.
  7. S9Man

Feb 15, 2005
    Farm country
    Find a FAL. They can be found used for ~600. A VZ58 would be good too. They shoot the 7.62 X 39 and shoot better than most AK's.
  8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I would recommend a 300BLK AR if you are wanting to hunt medium game.
  9. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    If I were you I'd go with an AR-15 in 300 Blackout.

But you've got a lot of reading between you and an informed purchase.
  10. catalyst686

Apr 13, 2010
    This seems to be the new craze, I've heard a lot of good things, also, standard 5.56 mags work with the round.
  11. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    ^The ability to use EVERY standard spec AR part aside from the barrel has a lot of appeal. It's a great round for the reloader, too.
  12. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I'm not sure if it is a craze but a much anticipated upgrade from the 5.56 in a standardized AR platform. And one that works in an 8" barrel and easily suppressible. It is the answer to a long list of requests us AR owners have had. 6.8 almost did it... but the mags sucked and no one really got behind the ammunition suppliers.

300 Blackout is finally here and I for one am really glad. For those folks that bought into the 6.8 they still have a good capable platform. But for those that waited or have not purchased yet it is perfect news and came at the right time.

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I'm curious what the OP has against 5.56...
  14. RMTactical

RMTactical CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I have owned several of both. I prefer the AR15 but I think you have to own them for yourself to make your own conclusions.
  15. I have owned an Interarms Tantal (excellent), a Saiga I converted (interesting job), and an Arsenal SG61 (?). Now, I don't own any of them, but I do own ARs. My Colt 6920 is my favorite and I prefer it over any of the com-block rifle. It was a process I "had" to experience before I knew what I really wanted. Maybe you'll have to own both before you make a final choice. Good luck.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  16. craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I have both, love both. I prefer AR platform, if SHTF, I would have no problems grabbing my AK.
  17. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    This might put you a little over your budget but I’d consider getting 2 rifles. A cheap bolt or lever action for deer hunting and a 5.56 AR for everything else.
  18. MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    I wouldn't recommend 300 blackout for a SHTF rifle...... HINT: Ammo won't be abundant.

To the OP, you've got some reading ahead of you. For the criteria you've given I'd go with an AR considering the availability and variety of ammo, mags, and accessories. Kinda makes it easy for someone starting out IMO.
  19. DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd recommend the following in no specific order: A Good M4 style ar-15 in 5.56 (makes finding anything easier) A VEPR in .308 (built heavier than a saiga), or a quality AK. You need to evaluate your needs then go from there. Good luck with your search, and post pics of your new toy when you get it.