Thinking of carrying and have a concern

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by blk88, Sep 30, 2012.

1. I have a 10 mo old, I now carry with the hammer dropped on an empty chamber. On a Glock that provides a fast visual indication that the gun has no round in the chamber, with the trigger all the way to the rear.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

He WILL rat you out at the worst possible time (traffic stop, church, etc)

3. blk88

That's funny because I can totally see that happening and probably will right in the middle of church or school..."my daddy's wears a gun!"

4. FAS1

FAS1 GT Sponsor

I agree with all this except my HD gun is also stored C1 at my bedside in a very well constructed handgun safe. :supergrin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJUGuB35y8"]FAS1 SAFE - YouTube[/ame]

5. I am sure that the first word most children understand is NO this is one of those times that I would insist No!! leave that alone. With mine it only took a few times and we have never had an issue since he is now 15 and an excellent shot handgun and rifle
    :cool:

6. Sounds like the method of carry you want will make this a non issue. Just make sure you spend the money on a good holster.

7. ^^ This ^^

I carry often when I am at home with the kids, but in C3.

Safer all around.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I don't think I understand - if he can't draw it from the holster, how is it going to hurt him?

9. blk88

My son is very inquisitive. If he felt my firearm under myclothing he would go fishing for it. Not so much worried about him drawing it. More concerned about the constant trying tomess with it. He already goes for keys, chapstick, knife, coins, etc. Whatever he can feel and not see, he goes for. It get's old some days. With a firearm, I could see it getting to the point that I wouldn't want to carry just to not deal with him. I hope to be buying aholster soon and testing the waters. My Gun Vault came yesterday so I need toget it mounted this weekend.

10. glockman513

glockman513 CCW Instructor

control your childs behavior

11. What ever works for your situation. But my boys have always known that I carry. They know to never touch a gun unless I am there and say it's ok. When out they always walk to my left. They know it's a secrete.They have known this since they were 2 or 3, now much older 11 & 15 and can strip and clean every gun I have.

12. If you want to get as close to 100% as possible and still be able to use gun quickly, I would consider magna trigger conversion of a revolver. You have to be wearing special ring for revolver to go bang. Link.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigger/gun/safety/magna1.html

You might ask Mas Ayoob about this conversion in his subforum. I believe he mentioned he had one and intended to use it again now that he is grandfather.

#52 jack76590, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. Come on... that is so absurd. Didn't you know you can get in trouble with CPS for that kind of stuff now. :upeyes::upeyes:

(This is not aimed at the OP, just a general observation of current child raising practices I see everyday)

14. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

And when you chose to carry CIII, make sure that you carry it with the Glock decocked. It will be a tactile reminder that the gun isn't cocked when you touch the trigger.

15. don't let him fish around in your pockets. If you're worried about weapon retention with a two year old, you have a REAL weapon retention problem.

16. BMWMD

I have been carrying since my kids were born. They know my gun is not something to play with. They are so used to seeing me armed that they never ask questions or even try touch it on me. When I'm not arm it isn't where they can see or get to it. We also have never allowed our son to have or play with toy guns to reiterate that guns are not toys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

If you can protect your child from falling down stairs or running with scissors, think you can manage to keep him from grabbing at your sidearm. The first 2 dangers are probably harder to protect against.

18. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Seconded. Kids can be a handful and wear you down. You MUST remember that YOU are the parent. Have had to give that lecture many, many times when parents tell me "but he doesn't want to take the medicine."

I didn't like carrying chambered, but then I installed a "Siderlock trigger." The purists will jump all over me for mentioning it, but everybody has their own comfort level. If you carry outside your comfort level and have an accident, you'll feel really dumb. GT is full of excellent advice, but only you know what works for you.

Good luck.

19. You can't stop a 2 year old from digging in your pocket?:wow:

20. PhotoFeller

Silver Member

Pause for just a moment and ask yourself if it is really important for you to carry a weapon around your young family. Are you in a moderate or high crime area? Have crack-crazed perps been spotted in your area? My God, too many 'advisors' here seem to put slinging a gun ahead of family safety.

If you must carry at home, consider the safest method- C3. Also, disregard the free-but-useless child rearing advice and treat your son the way your instincts lead you. You sound like a great dad who will figure out what's best for your family.