Glock Talk banner

Thinking of carrying and have a concern

12K views 82 replies 51 participants last post by  Ryobi 
#1 · (Edited)
So I just received my CCW permit and I'm eager to carry and take defensive pistol classes. Mine and my wife's concern is our 2 year old son. He's very curious and if he feels things in my pocket he's digging for it. The thing is that he's the reason I feel I want to carry. I never want to be in a position to where I can't protect my family. I've started to see the world in a different light due recent events and my love for my family. I realize that there are bad people in the world and the can surface any where at any time. I want to carry concealed, but worry about my son being curious and is too young to understand. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

#52 · (Edited)
If you want to get as close to 100% as possible and still be able to use gun quickly, I would consider magna trigger conversion of a revolver. You have to be wearing special ring for revolver to go bang. Link.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigger/gun/safety/magna1.html

You might ask Mas Ayoob about this conversion in his subforum. I believe he mentioned he had one and intended to use it again now that he is grandfather.

#56 ·
I have been carrying since my kids were born. They know my gun is not something to play with. They are so used to seeing me armed that they never ask questions or even try touch it on me. When I'm not arm it isn't where they can see or get to it. We also have never allowed our son to have or play with toy guns to reiterate that guns are not toys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#57 ·
If you can protect your child from falling down stairs or running with scissors, think you can manage to keep him from grabbing at your sidearm. The first 2 dangers are probably harder to protect against.

#58 ·
#1 - stop that kid's behavior now. And if he dive intp purses, nip that in the bud.

#2 - if the gun is not on you, in a holster, put it in a lock box and lock it.

#3 - I am not a big advocate of chambering/clearing a weapon often, so you might consider locking up your outdoor gun when you come home, and carrying an indoor gun with the chamber empty. You don't really want your kid, or anyone else, firing your gun.
Seconded. Kids can be a handful and wear you down. You MUST remember that YOU are the parent. Have had to give that lecture many, many times when parents tell me "but he doesn't want to take the medicine."

I didn't like carrying chambered, but then I installed a "Siderlock trigger." The purists will jump all over me for mentioning it, but everybody has their own comfort level. If you carry outside your comfort level and have an accident, you'll feel really dumb. GT is full of excellent advice, but only you know what works for you.

Good luck.

#60 ·
Pause for just a moment and ask yourself if it is really important for you to carry a weapon around your young family. Are you in a moderate or high crime area? Have crack-crazed perps been spotted in your area? My God, too many 'advisors' here seem to put slinging a gun ahead of family safety.

If you must carry at home, consider the safest method- C3. Also, disregard the free-but-useless child rearing advice and treat your son the way your instincts lead you. You sound like a great dad who will figure out what's best for your family.

#61 ·
I have 6 children in my household and gun safety is always on my mind. For me, it is critical to have firm habits.

The carry gun in on my person in a holster or locked up. The safe is opened with the room door locked and as soon as something goes in or comes out, it is locked. I may open and close a few times, but if I am interrupted, it is secure.
I also have a small safe by the bed.

Do not assume kids are to small or to young to find hidden guns. They are very creative in finding ways to dig through your stuff, including stuff on high shelves. Also, they can find hidden ammo.

Do not place your gun down at home. To many things can distract you and make you forget. Curious children quickly exploit a moment of inattention.

Avoid pocket carry if possible. It can get awkward to safeguard with kids. Your gun will not easily fit in a pocket, but you might consider one later. They do not always stay put when sitting on a soft chair.

#62 ·
I have 6 children in my household and gun safety is always on my mind. For me, it is critical to have firm habits.

The carry gun in on my person in a holster or locked up. The safe is opened with the room door locked and as soon as something goes in or comes out, it is locked. I may open and close a few times, but if I am interrupted, it is secure.
I also have a small safe by the bed.

Do not assume kids are to small or to young to find hidden guns. They are very creative in finding ways to dig through your stuff, including stuff on high shelves. Also, they can find hidden ammo.

Do not place your gun down at home. To many things can distract you and make you forget. Curious children quickly exploit a moment of inattention.

Avoid pocket carry if possible. It can get awkward to safeguard with kids. Your gun will not easily fit in a pocket, but you might consider one later. They do not always stay put when sitting on a soft chair.
A voice of real experience^^^.

And don't fall asleep in your favorite chair in front of the tv.

And if the entire family sleeps in a tent while camping, as mine did, figure out a secure way to keep the pistol out of reach of little hands.

And if your family enjoys boating, you better have a child proof place to stash the piece.

A home with young kids isn't a static environment that can be tightly controlled against all possible gun exposure circumstances. It often gets crazy, chaotic, and rambunctious if fun and spontaneity are permitted.

#63 ·
Update...I've been carrying now for a few months. I carry IWB with a Galco holster. I like it. Although, all day carry isn't the most comfortable. I'm looking to try a white hat max tuck soon. As for my son, much to my surprise, he hasn't even once noticed it on my belt! Once I get home the firearm goes straight in to the safe. I never let him see me put it on or take it off. So far so good. I must say starting to CC was a very awkward feeling. It took about 2 weeks to realize that no one was staring at me. Now if I don't have it for some reason I feel vulnerable. I will forever CC and look forward to introduce my son to firearms when the time is right. Thanks for all the advice!

#64 ·
If you are looking for a hybrid style holster, look at the Concealment Solutions Black Mamba. I just got one for my 26 and it is incredibly comfortable. I have never had one of the other brands like Crossbreed, but I have heard the Black Mamba is more comfortable and better made and a little less expensive. Plus Jason, the owner, is a great guy to deal with. I've ordered a few items with some alterations and even a completely custom buttstock shell holder for my shotgun and he is very helpful.

#65 ·
Good holster and the ability to say no don't touch you are the adult here act like one! Teach them young and teach them right and you'll never have to fear them hurting themselves with a firearm! My grand daughter used to crawl all over me and I carried all the time never been a safety issue!:supergrin:

#66 ·
Your gun, your responsibility.

Your child, your responsibility.

If they can get together you are not doing it right. Be a parent and fix the possibility.

#67 · (Edited)
Trigger pull is 1 step, racking the slide takes additional education, strength, and skill.

Not an excuse to be careless, but the extra step could be important.

Pluses and minuses apply as usual :)
I am just thinking that the new CCWer may forget to keep the G23 away from unauthorized hands, so Cond 3 may save lives.

#68 ·
trigger pull:

Ever see a small child pick up a gun and try to pull the trigger? if they cannot, they will turn the gun around and use their thumb on the trigger. With more strength in their thumb, they can now pull the trigger.

Children are excellent "problem solvers".

The above statement was the result of a video from a few years ago, where news media placed a few unloaded handguns on a small table and left the room, with around 4 or 5 very young children told to not touch the guns.

Trigger pull guarantees nothing.

#69 ·
trigger pull:

Ever see a small child pick up a gun and try to pull the trigger? if they cannot, they will turn the gun around and use their thumb on the trigger. With more strength in their thumb, they can now pull the trigger.

Children are excellent "problem solvers".

The above statement was the result of a video from a few years ago, where news media placed a few unloaded handguns on a small table and left the room, with around 4 or 5 very young children told to not touch the guns.

Trigger pull guarantees nothing.
This is a good analysis of child problem-solving. The point is is that all loaded guns MUST be kept away from children.

#70 ·
Just checked out the black mamba holster. Looks very similar to the white hat holster. I'm going to try out the white hat holster because you can swap out the kydek for different guns. Much cheaper to buy a different kydex piece than a whole new holster as the gun collection grows. Plus I can get custom imaging on the kydex piece from white hat. I clearly understand the responsibility part of all this as a parent and a firearm owner. I'm good there. I carried C3 for about a week then realized that it didn't make sense. If I needed the draw the gun as a last resort option, the bad guy isn't going to wait for me to rack a round. I now carry C1. Now I just need to get into some class and more range time.

#71 ·
And when you chose to carry CIII, make sure that you carry it with the Glock decocked. It will be a tactile reminder that the gun isn't cocked when you touch the trigger.
That's a good idea - if I was going to carry one with an empty chamber, I'd do that.

#73 ·
I have carried around children for many years. As opposed to 35 years ago, there are many options. Of course, you will want a holster that retains the firearm very well. Ensure the pistol will not fall out and that the trigger is covered.

Make sure you can holster your firearm safely. Holstering and drawing a firearm is when many accidental discharges happen.

You should NEVER lay the firearm down unsecured. Children are very quick. If you must leave a gun in your car, make sure it is in a locked container fixed to the car either with a cable, bolted down, or both. Do not hide the gun under a seat. Kids will find them very quickly.

Do not do the thing where you place the firearm up high where the child may not reach. Kids are very capable of solving the problem of how to get to it. Hidden weapons are also easy for kids to find as is the separately hidden ammo.

Be very aware of how many confuse family members for a threat. People sometimes shoot family members in error. If someone breaks into a house, kids may run to the parents' bedroom. Spouses you think are in bed next to you may have gone into the other room. In these two scenarios, people have shot their family members as they entered the bedroom.

I do security checks in my house, to make sure doors and windows are closed and locked. One night, I was investigating a knocking sound by one of our doors. It was very late and dark. My 7 year old son was sneaking around the house and thought it was funny. He was low crawling around and making sounds as a joke and then jumped out to surprise me. I do not startle easily and told him to get to bed. Someone else might have reacted differently.

Also, get a good safe with a combination. Kids love to play with keys and get into dad's secret area. My kids have taken and destroyed many of my family mementos, but they have not gotten close to my guns or ammo.

I am very careful around kids. Over the years, I have been lucky and I have learned not to count on luck. When you consider self defense scenarios, remember that kids are part of the environment. I doubt many training schools have kids grabbing at you, or being carried by you while you deal with a deadly threat.

#74 ·
my son is 8. He has never seen me without weapons unless i am sleeping. Otherwise, my weaposn are IWB. If i am home, tey are unconcealed. be fore he was walking and talking, i was repeatig the safetey rules to him. And we still do it today.
I'll work this in to daily life:
- i'll be getting ready for work, ect, putting my holster on my belt while the gun is on the counter, and i'll ask him- "what's that?

"a gun"
what kind of gun?"
"a pistol"
What do you do when youy see one"
"i don't touch it'
"..and then what"
" i go tell you, mommy, nana, ect"
" waht do you do if sombody is fooling around with a gun"
" I leave and go tell someone'

To say that my boy is inquisitive is an understatement. He is a hellion. BUT, i take the time to reapeat the teaching, over and over. He also knows that weapons area family thing and not to be takled about in public.

As of now, its a non-issue as he begins his shooting training. he is safer than most adults. But i am still on him like glue. I'll just keep it up.

#75 · (Edited)
And when you chose to carry CIII, make sure that you carry it with the Glock decocked. It will be a tactile reminder that the gun isn't cocked when you touch the trigger.
That's a good idea - if I was going to carry one with an empty chamber, I'd do that.
It would be briefly embarrassing to dry-fire at a felon.
I am just thinking that the new CCWer may forget to keep the G23 away from unauthorized hands, so Cond 3 may save lives.
Those are some good thoughts, SCmasterblaster.

Yes, embarrassing might be an understatement...:supergrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.