Glock Talk banner

Thinking of carrying and have a concern

12K views 82 replies 51 participants last post by  Ryobi 
#1 · (Edited)
So I just received my CCW permit and I'm eager to carry and take defensive pistol classes. Mine and my wife's concern is our 2 year old son. He's very curious and if he feels things in my pocket he's digging for it. The thing is that he's the reason I feel I want to carry. I never want to be in a position to where I can't protect my family. I've started to see the world in a different light due recent events and my love for my family. I realize that there are bad people in the world and the can surface any where at any time. I want to carry concealed, but worry about my son being curious and is too young to understand. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

#27 · (Edited)
Just to clarify I have a 23 and I want to carry IWB.
And your 2 year old can draw your gun from the holster? Seems doubtful. If you can't keep your gun concealed and holstered around a 2-year-old, what chance do you have of retaining it around the average teenage gangsta that wants a new gun?

#28 ·

Thanks for all the great responses! This is exactly what I was looking for.I'm new to CCW and am just reaching out for info before I start to get myprospective and expectations of carrying with kids. I enjoy Jeeps and the Jeepcommunity is awesome when you reach out. People are more than willing to share.As I make firearms a larger part of my life I'm already seeing it happen in thefirearm community. I really appreciate all the responses. I’ll be stickingaround GT for sure! As soon as time permits I would like to get involved withIDPA solely for personal education and firearm handling proficiencies…and itseems like fun with great people. Again,thanks and if there are more out that that want to comment on the topic I’dlove to hear more. I like to collectinfo prior to jumping in feet first when it comes to important and newdecisions.

#29 · (Edited)
And your 2 year old can draw your gun from the holster? Seems doubtful. If you can't keep your gun concealed and holstered around a 2-year-old, what chance do you have of retaining it around the average teenage gangsta that wants a new gun?
Not worried about my son drawing the piece. Just worried about the constant inquisitiveness and looking to see if other had similar experiences.

#30 ·
Do you fall down a lot? I am not being sarcastic, I am genuinely curious why you felt that falling down and becoming unconscious was a more likely scenario than needing the gun for SD. I had never thought about that before, but I guess if you had a medical conditon that affected your balance or some such, that might be a valid concern.
No, but I'm sure there are stats are out there to show falling down and getting knocked out is more common than getting in a quick draw gun fight.

Also add heart attacks and stuff like that to the situation.

For me you can add horses and skiing. Also stairs :) Baseball and bike riding too.

Like I said, lots of days in the year. Lots of play time for a dad and his son. Oh yeah, don't forget about a double knee drop to the head during rough housing.

#32 ·
It has already been shown on national television that the NRA'S, 'Eddie Eagle Program' frequently does not work. It might make us, as NRA members, feel good; but children can't be trusted to either leave guns strictly alone, or to follow the other directions.

(Sorry! Don't kill the messenger.) :dunno:

#33 ·
Maybe by the time he gets dangerous (teenager) he will be ok around you with a concealed weapon. Good luck. If you are apprehensive, first carry the Glock without one in the chamber just to see how the kid responds.

#35 ·
Carry Cond III, no round in the chamber. The child is not strong enough to rack the slide, but you are. :cool:
Teach your children not to touch was not theirs, especially guns, mine never did but it was a different times when I could slap the s&#T out of her if she did.

Pretty much this.

I have 4 kids (12,9,3,2). Both my wife and I carry everyday (we both use CBST holsters). My kids know that we carry and don't think anything about it. The two oldest go shooting regularly. The two youngest have 0 curiosity as they have always been exposed to them. They have been taught not to touch just the same way as they won't touch a hot stove. I'm sure that will change a bit as the get older and that is when they will learn to shoot.
I carry c 1 anytime the gun is on my person. At night the c 1 gun goes in the safe and our bed side guns are in c 3.
Start teaching now and you will reduce potential problems later.

#37 · (Edited)
Once I get my holster (leaning to a White Hat MaxTuck IWB) I will probably carry without my son around to get that "everyone knows I have a gun on me and is looking at me" feeling over with. Then bring him in the picture and do as most have commented on,working with him to teach him not to touch it. Similar to a floor fan we havein the house I guess. He loved standing in front of it with his hands on it. With work,he now walks around it with his hands up. I really look forward to the day wecan shoot together. I have a Winchester .243 rifle my father gave me when I gotmy Eagle Scout. I'm holding on to it to pass it to my son when he's ready.

Also, since this will be my first time carrying I'll most likely carry C 3until after I get some classes under my belt and feel comfortable witheverything. The Gun Valut should be here today.

It's a strangle feeling, feeling the desire to start carrying as a middleaged adult. It isn't fear that has made me make these decision, rather thefeeling to be proactive should a situation occur and have the ability to defendmy family if needed. On the flip side I'm totally excited to take classes and reallylearn how to use my 23 the way it was intended.

#40 ·
Keep it concealed on your body (in a proper holster) or locked up (in a proper safe). Always.
Don't talk about it. Ever.
He won't know.

When he's older, old enough to understand Eddie Eagle, you can teach gun safety to him then.

Seriously? Did I miss the sarcasm in this post? He WILL know and he WILL be curious and he WILL try to check it out as soon as he can.

Make it as common as your keys and he won't even look twice.

#42 ·
.. getthat "everyone knows I have a gun on me and is looking at me" feelingover with. Then bring him in the picture and do as most have commented on,working with him to teach him not to touch it..
He WILL rat you out at the worst possible time (traffic stop, church, etc)

#44 ·
Pretty much this.

I have 4 kids (12,9,3,2). Both my wife and I carry everyday (we both use CBST holsters). My kids know that we carry and don't think anything about it. The two oldest go shooting regularly. The two youngest have 0 curiosity as they have always been exposed to them. They have been taught not to touch just the same way as they won't touch a hot stove. I'm sure that will change a bit as the get older and that is when they will learn to shoot.
I carry c 1 anytime the gun is on my person. At night the c 1 gun goes in the safe and our bed side guns are in c 3.
Start teaching now and you will reduce potential problems later.
I agree with all this except my HD gun is also stored C1 at my bedside in a very well constructed handgun safe. :supergrin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJUGuB35y8"]FAS1 SAFE - YouTube[/ame]

#45 ·
So I just received my CCW permit and I'm eager to carry and take defensive pistol classes. Mine and my wife's concern is our 2 year old son. He's very curious and if he feels things in my pocket he's digging for it. The thing is that he's the reason I feel I want to carry. I never want to be in a position to where I can't protect my family. I've started to see the world in a different light due recent events and my love for my family. I realize that there are bad people in the world and the can surface any where at any time. I want to carry concealed, but worry about my son being curious and is too young to understand. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I am sure that the first word most children understand is NO this is one of those times that I would insist No!! leave that alone. With mine it only took a few times and we have never had an issue since he is now 15 and an excellent shot handgun and rifle
:cool:

#48 ·
Not worried about my son drawing the piece. Just worried about the constant inquisitiveness and looking to see if other had similar experiences.
I don't think I understand - if he can't draw it from the holster, how is it going to hurt him?

#49 ·
I don't think I understand - if he can't draw it from the holster, how is it going to hurt him?
My son is very inquisitive. If he felt my firearm under myclothing he would go fishing for it. Not so much worried about him drawing it. More concerned about the constant trying tomess with it. He already goes for keys, chapstick, knife, coins, etc. Whatever he can feel and not see, he goes for. It get's old some days. With a firearm, I could see it getting to the point that I wouldn't want to carry just to not deal with him. I hope to be buying aholster soon and testing the waters. My Gun Vault came yesterday so I need toget it mounted this weekend.

#51 ·
Keep it concealed on your body (in a proper holster) or locked up (in a proper safe). Always.
Don't talk about it. Ever.
He won't know.

When he's older, old enough to understand Eddie Eagle, you can teach gun safety to him then.
What ever works for your situation. But my boys have always known that I carry. They know to never touch a gun unless I am there and say it's ok. When out they always walk to my left. They know it's a secrete.They have known this since they were 2 or 3, now much older 11 & 15 and can strip and clean every gun I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.