Glock Talk banner

Thinking New Gen4 17 or 34???

1K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Sly9mm 
#1 ·
I have a Gen3 26 for carry and a Gen3 19 that I normally use at the range and keep it on my night stand.

The Gen3 grips are just a little large for my hands so I was thinking of getting a Gen4 gun for range use only.

I'd like to get a large frame thinking I may be more accurate with it and maybe a little more fun at the range.

Trying to decide between a 17 and 34

Any pros/cons/recommendations welcome

#2 ·
The 9 mm is a good platform, the gen4 gives left handers an even chance now with the mag release, grips for mitts that match. Glock sights work but are almost always replaced. Perception of sight radius and slide speed varies from shooter to shooter, but the shorter slide seems faster the longer slide easier to acquire targets. Not a fan of the cutout or drawing the 34 from holster. Its perception and what you like to look at, Good Luck on your choice.

#4 · (Edited)
I like the G34 better than the G17. I have said here before if I could have spent a few weeks and a couple thousand rounds with each before I bought them, I would have G26s and G34s and neither a G19 or G17. And at the range I like the G34 more than any of the other 9mm Glocks. Since I have not had the chance to use one I sometimes wonder if a 17L would be even better.

#5 ·
For a range gun I'd go for the G34. The G17 would make a better dual purpose gun that you could use for range and carry if need be but purely for shooting targets and range, yep, G34.

#6 ·
G34. Ordered one from Grabagun yesterday, shipped an hour later, and will be here tomorrow. I have TTI sights and base pads on the way. I also have a Jager steel guide rod and multiple recoil springs coming. Trigger will be determined once I get to see how the stock is. Maybe a 25 cent job. Maybe a connector. Maybe a Vanek complete kit.

I had a glock 17 gen 4 that I sold for the 34. If you are going big frame then the 17 doesn't make much sense except for a duty gun. As a poster above mentioned, glock 26s and 34s all day. And a 42/43 just because I like my 42 a lot.

The 34 will give a longer sight radius for better accuracy and about an extra ounce of weight further out on the slide. This will improve balance for better stability through the trigger pull and reduced recoil. I always thought the 17s muzzle felt a little light.

#7 ·
If you think a GEN3 G19 grip is too large, a GEN4 G17 grip (without a strap) will be bigger.

And shooting a G26 for carry, and a G19 for this, and a G17/34 for that, won't help your shooting. If you want to shoot your best, stick with your carry piece, and shoot it exclusively.

After all, that's what you have the highest likelihood of ever needing to shoot in defense.

#8 ·
If you think a GEN3 G19 grip is too large, a GEN4 G17 grip (without a strap) will be bigger.

And shooting a G26 for carry, and a G19 for this, and a G17/34 for that, won't help your shooting. If you want to shoot your best, stick with your carry piece, and shoot it exclusively.

After all, that's what you have the highest likelihood of ever needing to shoot in defense.
He is talking about the grip width. The gen 3's are bigger. The gen 4 is thinner. With the +2mm backstrap it is basically a gen 3 grip.

#12 ·
I thought I was the only one who really can't feel a size difference between a third generation 9mm and the same gun in Gen4 without a back strap . I can tell the difference between the roughness or grip if you will but not the size. I have wondered once or twice if the surface was the same between the generations if I could then feel a size difference.

#17 ·
My apprehension/perception of holster drawing was Steel Challege, you drew as much as 40 times in a match and that added up for time . Not using a holster repeatedly negates the slower times.

Looking at 17L's I had 2 that were consecutive serial numbers,my reloads did not cycle the guns well and I wanted to downsize the safe queens(I now regret that) realize that the heavier slide will take more potent loads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.