Glock Talk banner

Thinking G19 Gen4 BUT are they finally all fixed from issues?

9K views 66 replies 40 participants last post by  mazroth 
#1 ·
Thinking about a G19 Gen4. But are all the issues fixed now with current parts? (ie RSA, extractor, ejector)

What part numbers are the latest and greatest for the G19 Gen4?

What is the best serial number prefix to look for to buy a correctly up to date G19 gen4?

#27 ·
Morning MGman

I have a somewhat recent build G-19 --May/of/2013 (VAV 5XX).

It came from the box very tight & had some partial feed issues with light loads but worked perfectly with full power self defense loads.

It now has a little over 1000 rounds through it & has burnished in nicely.

It puts full power cases just over & behind my R/H shoulder but will still put a few lower power & light hand loads on my right arm or shoulder. Most of the light loads (125 grain bullets) just clear me & so far none to the face or head.

Trigger pull came out of the box at 6.5 lbs (measured 3/4 way down trigger face). Some (lots of) polishing, a 6# trigger spring, lots of dry firing, & 1000+ rounds of shooting have the trigger pull at 5 lbs +/- (measured 3/4 down the trigger face).

I left the ribbed trigger in but re-worked the trigger edges & smoothed the ribs & so far it feels just fine on my finger. I tried the older Gen 3 trigger bar (no tit on shark fin) but that added a lot of compliancy (re springiness) to the trigger pull so went back to the Gen4 with the tit polished.

I haven't been able to get the trigger feel/break quite as nice as my late build G22 but it has less rounds through it.

The partial feeds seem to be due to the slide not fully cycling to the rear so the RSA is probably on the high side for lighter loads. It is just fine with full power self defense loads.

#28 ·
I just picked up a VR prefix gen 4 G19. I have 250 rds through it. Ejection was 99.8% acceptable. The .2% was one or two cases that got close to my head. Those were in the first 50 rds.

I really like the new finish.

I'm antsy to pick up an OD frame G23 OR 19.

I have 4 mid size glocks, gen 3 and 4, purchased in the last 1.5 yrs and they are all fine pistols.

#31 ·
My Gen4 build test-fire date is 1/29/13. 115Gr WWB or Federal Champion don't run well at all in it. The only other available ammo around here is Hornady CD +P @$25 PER 25rnds. Sadly, I cannot afford to buy it for practice ammo.
Some may consider brass coming at you as a minor inconvenience and I am good with that. They feel as long as the gun doesn't choke there's no problem. If the possibility of buying a gun that ejects poorly does not bother you buy it.

#32 ·
I have a Gen3 and Gen4 G19 as well as a G26 which I just bought. All shoot great. The only thing I had while breaking in the G26 was 1 round hit me on my head, and one on my shoulder. Which could have been my fault or the casing hitting the wall while shooting. Ron

#33 ·
I had bought a Gen4 G19 way back when they were first released. It was a freaking nightmare! Malfunctions, BTF, etc etc. I traded for a Gen 3 and never looked back....until recently. I went to my local gun shop this past week and there was a new Gen 4 G19. U serial prefix. It had the tab on the back, 043 recoil spring, the new ejector, beavertail backstraps, etc. I decided to go for it. I have put 300 rounds through it and can say that it ejects very well and very consistent. In fact, my double taps often have the brass hitting eachother on the ground. 300 rounds is my general test of if the gun will run or not. After that if something goes wrong then I address it and consider it a fluke. My Gen 3 G19 has around 5k rounds through it in a few years and has been 100%. I hope this one is the same for me. I can say that I prefer the Gen4 ergos and backstrap options that was what really made me go for it. I'd say if you get a new, new production Gen 4 then you'll be good to go.

Pic of said beast:

#35 ·
Not a dumb question at all since it's a relatively new feature. The tab is on the back of the frame and allows the factory beavertail to "snap" onto the frame on the top as well as slip into the channel on the bottom of the frame. It makes for an extremely solid fit. There is zero movement with the beavertail backstrap attached with that tab on the frame.

#37 ·
My gen 4 19 was born in April 2013. Have 1200 flawless rounds through the gun. Shot all kinds of ammo, ball, HP's and +P's, plus all different weights amd all shot excellent. This became my favorite Glock out of all my Glocks. It shoots smooth much smoother than my gen 3's. Love it!

#41 ·
So the simple answer is they are not all fixed. What it takes to fix them might be anything from minor to major. Or they may not be fixable. Glock may or may not be able to fix them. After multiple trips back to Glock they may be fixed. They may work for awhile after being "fixed" then screw up again. You can be sent a reolacement gun and it may or may not be any better. Plus now that we are reading about guns coming from the factory with differing slie finishes and scratches I'd tink real hard before buying.

#42 ·
When buying a gen 4 pull the slide off and make sure the ejector has the number 30274 on it. This is the new design ejector that runs flawless, if it has 336 on the ejector avoid buying it, you will get brass to the face with a 336 ejector. I know this from personal experience.

#43 ·
When buying a gen 4 pull the slide off and make sure the ejector has the number 30274 on it. This is the new design ejector that runs flawless, if it has 336 on the ejector avoid buying it, you will get brass to the face with a 336 ejector. I know this from personal experience.
Uhh, My G19 came with the 30274 ejector in it and all is not flawless. As I said, common 115gr ammo runs lousy in it.

#44 ·
Every manufacturer has a warranty department, so you are never guarantied not to have a problem. Buy whatever you feel has the design features you are looking for.

But hey, if you are the worry wart type then just research everything on the internet and don't buy anything that you find a complaint with.

#46 ·
Uhh, My G19 came with the 30274 ejector in it and all is not flawless. As I said, common 115gr ammo runs lousy in it.
Seriously, my gun tosses brass in my eye and it has the 30274 ejector. I thought because of that it was my extractor. Crap, this s*** is pissing me off. My first 50 rounds were 115 Winchester and they were flawless. The worst ammo to toss brass at my head has been Gold Dot. That stuff was expensive, I was hopeing it would fix it.

#47 · (Edited)
Every manufacturer has a warranty department, so you are never guarantied not to have a problem. Buy whatever you feel has the design features you are looking for.

But hey, if you are the worry wart type then just research everything on the internet and don't buy anything that you find a complaint with.
Clearly the words of a person who wants to deny that Glock made some problematic guns lately. Sorry but that's opinion which I want to share here.

It also depends how busy ones warranty department is. Glocks warranty department is still pretty busy at this time. I don't buy stuff from a company where I can expect to send it in for repair soon after purchase, and from a company which had to hire more employees for the warranty department.

#49 ·
True. But sometimes you have to realize some real world advice is going to serve you better than all the Internet posts in the world.

#50 ·
Clearly the words of a person who wants to deny that Glock made some problematic guns lately. Sorry but that's opinion which I want to share here.

It also depends how busy ones warranty department is. Glocks warranty department is still pretty busy at this time. I don't buy stuff from a company where I can expect to send it in for repair soon after purchase, and from a company which had to hire more employees for the warranty department.
Not really, I bought the wife a Gen 4 G19 and yes it did tend to throw brass at us, so I'm not in denial of the problems some of the late model Glock's are having. At the same time though I have had better luck with Glock than any other manufacturer.

After looking at the features I decided a Gen 4 G19 would be a good choice for my wife, and it fit nicely with the other 9mm Glocks that I own (mag compatibility etc), so I decided not to worry so much about the complaints on the internet and went out a purchased one. While I did have to change extractors I am still happy with the purchase.

My point is you can either get what you want and take your chances, or you can calculate your odds and get something close to what you want just so you have better odds. Either way my impression is that the OP is hand wringing, so basically either shoot or get off the firing lane!

#51 ·
Just shot my gen4 19 for the first time yesterday.. It has all the updated parts. Test fired date was 5-15-13.. Well, no brass hit my face, but did have some that just dribbled out as well as other that hit my shoulder.. Definitely not what I was hoping for but also not as bad as others ive seen on youtube.. My g20 and g27 were throwing brass perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.