Glock Talk banner

thinking about sr-556

6K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Kentak 
#1 · (Edited)
I really like the potential of this gun. I know some have had problems with the bolt. Hk built a piston rifle and it has been doing pretty well in tests. Seems like allot of happy ruger owners aswell.

Has anyone here gone over a 1,000 rounds at a range session yet with the sr? It comes with allot of nice goodies.

edit: by the time im in the market for a carbine, hoping the para ttr is will be out. Still thinking really hard about a fal, but I like the parts availability of the ar

#29 ·
My list, in aproximate order would be: Noveske, BCM, LMT/Colt, Sabre.

I made the mistake of checking out that Noveske FDE SPR.... Yum, if only I had an extra $3k burning a hole in my pocket.
I agree with this list. However I would go Noveske, Colt, BCM, LMT, Saber...

#33 · (Edited)
Colt is very affordable. But that Ruger coming with the rails and everything for 1500 is very appealing.

I'm going Ruger. If it screws up, I'll just keep sending it back till they get it right. I like taking the road less traveled. When I have the cash for it and a case of ammo I'll do a full write up. :supergrin:

#34 ·
Colt is very affordable. But that Ruger coming with the rails and everything for 1500 is very appealing.

I'm going Ruger. If it screws up, I'll just keep sending it back till they get it right. I like taking the road less traveled. When I have the cash for it and a case of ammo I'll do a full write up. :supergrin:
Your making an excellent choice.

#35 ·
hrmm. I really want to give one of these a go though.

Without turning this into another AR brand war; What do you recommend Javelin out of the direct impingement line?
I see you want to go with Ruger. Never had any personal experience with them. I am no expert like Caesar and others on here because I am purely an end user, but like what most folks do which is Noveske, LMT, Colt, etc.

If I were to buy another AR it would be a Noveske. It is one of those things where I would caution you to wait and just buy the best first (Noveske, Colt, LMT, etc) and forget settling only to upgrade later because that is when the BR disease gets expensive.

If your going shooting this weekend I'll bring my suppressed Noveske and you can try it out if you want.

#37 ·
I see you want to go with Ruger. Never had any personal experience with them. I am no expert like Caesar and others on here because I am purely an end user, but like what most folks do which is Noveske, LMT, Colt, etc.

If I were to buy another AR it would be a Noveske. It is one of those things where I would caution you to wait and just buy the best first (Noveske, Colt, LMT, etc) and forget settling only to upgrade later because that is when the BR disease gets expensive.

If your going shooting this weekend I'll bring my suppressed Noveske and you can try it out if you want.

:shocked: PM on the way.

#38 ·
A bit over a year ago, the issue of gas piston ARs came up in a discussion in an AR armorer's class being taught by Ken Elmore. It revolved about some premature wearing of a certain agency's LWRC uppers. Ken was modest (I know, shocking for him) but clearly articulated that he had see too many gas piston ARs suffering from carrier tilt, which, in turn, lead to the premature wearing of parts and receivers.

Ruger tells me that they have solved this but we will see. I know and trust Jeter.

We'll see what pans out for wear issues. That being said, Ruger does have a winning package from a price point position considering what is offered. They certainly intrigue me.

#39 ·
I'm not that prolific a shooter (I have a pair of Bushmasters that get to share in my ammo expenditures), but I do have a few hundred rounds down range... I'll try to take some pics this week.
Sorry to drag this one back up out of the muck, but did the pictures of the buffer tube ever get taken?
I'm trying to decide between an SR556, an LWRC, and an XCR. So I'm interested to see what went on with your SR's buffer tube.

#42 ·
Well, since you brought this thread back up after researching all of the gas piston rifles I went with the new Daniel Defense m4.
How do you like it? I went with the Ruger. It is a little heavy but about the same weight as the new FN SCAR (which is what I had intended to get, but it felt "funny"). It seems to be a pretty good deal considering all the options it comes with, and so for has been a real shooter. I think it has been a good option for me so far as there are so many options among the other AR's I really didn't know where to go. I wanted something for 3 gun, I plan on shooting tactical or limited (I think those are the correct classes) depending on the match. I don't plan on shooting optics, but may stick an Aim Point on my rifle. Mine was $1,350 NIB, so I didn't figure I could go too wrong. I figure a warrranty is worth a fair amount to me with and entry type rifle.

It has certainly been different than my cowboy guns.

Sure, someday I would like a Noveske (sp.), but I think this is going to be a great "starter rifle". I can put an upper on it, or put another one together later. I think these rifles are like potato chips, nobody has just one.

Take Care.

#43 · (Edited)
Carrier tilt = phenomenon in search of a downside

So, far, it seems to be a cosmetic problem in a part of the gun not normally seen.

Zero documented cases of failure caused by carrier tilt, right?

I question that picture is of a Ruger. It's not even posted by the owner of the gun. The profile of the "flat" on top seems to be different from my Ruger. I'll post a picture later.

How many rounds through the gun in that picture?

Go to Ruger's website for a video about "carrier tilt" and other SR-556 information. http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556/extras.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.