Glock Talk banner

thinking about sr-556

6K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Kentak 
#1 · (Edited)
I really like the potential of this gun. I know some have had problems with the bolt. Hk built a piston rifle and it has been doing pretty well in tests. Seems like allot of happy ruger owners aswell.

Has anyone here gone over a 1,000 rounds at a range session yet with the sr? It comes with allot of nice goodies.

edit: by the time im in the market for a carbine, hoping the para ttr is will be out. Still thinking really hard about a fal, but I like the parts availability of the ar

#2 ·
I think Ruger has a winner, I like them and have heard nothing but good about them.
Wonder if somebody is making them for Ruger though.
The piston system really cuts down on heat buildup.

#9 ·
#11 ·
AFAIK, that belongs to an acquaintance of Gary Jeter (W.E.G.) from the FalFiles. He apparently got threatened with a ban by moderator "(the opposite of HOT)" from a certain popular AR-15 related forum for posting that, and soon afterward they started showing Ruger flash banners for the SR-556. :shakehead:
:upeyes:

Imagine that!

#12 · (Edited)
yikes... does Ruger have good customer service?

Ruger built a rifle that - right out of the box, I like. They also offer pretty good accessories.

I wouldn't mind gambling on a piston setup. I prefer the ergonomics of an AR over the sig, so i'm not considering it.

I can't find many reviews that have shot the hell out of it though.

#13 ·
yikes... does Ruger have good customer service?

Ruger built a rifle that - right out of the box, I like. They also offer pretty good accessories.

I wouldn't mind gambling on a piston setup. I prefer the ergonomics of an AR over the sig, so i'm not considering it.

I can't find many reviews that have shot the hell out of it though.
I have thought Ruger has had one of the best customer service departments in the industry going back for decades. Maybe I was the luckiest man in the world and others had results different than mine.

#14 ·
OOPS! A major SNAFU! Someone needs to back off that butt stock tube a couple of turns and re-tighten the locking ring!!!

:wow:
So what are you going to do when the buffer retainer pops out?

#15 ·
I got mine a while back at a local shop.

It is solidly built, with the Troy Ind. back-up sights and quad rail (about 400-500 if added to a standard AR) which helps justify the asking price.

Mine has run flawlessly, no carrier tilt wear in the buffer tube, and will hold sub MOA 3-shot groups and just over MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

YMMV

#16 ·
AFAIK, that belongs to an acquaintance of Gary Jeter (W.E.G.) from the FalFiles. He apparently got threatened with a ban by moderator "(the opposite of HOT)" from a certain popular AR-15 related forum for posting that, and soon afterward they started showing Ruger flash banners for the SR-556. :shakehead:
I don't belong to, nor have I ever belonged to that website. If I wanted to read advertisements for gun manufacturers I would just stick with the gun mags that come in the mail.

But in defense of Ruger, it appears that this issue with the bolt tilt riding back and causing abnormal (and quite frankly scary) wear seems to be a trend with the piston designs.

I am not a physicist nor a gunsmith but I think we can all agree that when force is applied only to the top of the face of the bolt that the opposite will be true on the backside which will cause wear. Until they fix it by completely adding something like an AK action I am not sure how they are going to combat it. In the meantime I will stick with my Noveske Switchblock gun and enjoy trouble-free shooting while they figure all that out.

:supergrin:

#17 ·
I got mine a while back at a local shop.

It is solidly built, with the Troy Ind. back-up sights and quad rail (about 400-500 if added to a standard AR) which helps justify the asking price.

Mine has run flawlessly, no carrier tilt wear in the buffer tube, and will hold sub MOA 3-shot groups and just over MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

YMMV

It's a good looking firearm. Do us a favor and take some pics of the buffer tube and bolt assy after you throw a couple of cases or so down the barrel. I'm intersted to see.

:wavey:

#20 ·
I'm not that prolific a shooter (I have a pair of Bushmasters that get to share in my ammo expenditures), but I do have a few hundred rounds down range... I'll try to take some pics this week.
Yeah first hand knowledge would be really appreciated.

:wavey:

#24 ·
Weight? LOL. Try using a SAW in place of your AR. Anything under 20 lbs is fine with me.
You want light. You might not know it yet... but you want it. :wavey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.