close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking about getting a G20

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by nunnya, Jan 2, 2012.

1. nunnya

nunnya
    Expand Collapse

I have 0 Glocks and 0 10mm .
    I've been toying with the idea of a 10mm and Glock seems to be the way to go.
    Are the SF models of the current generation as desirable as the older tried and true models?
    I really don't need another caliber but the 10mm has intrigued me for years
    so I may have to scratch that itch.
    The best local price I've seen so far is 550$, is that good?

Thanks,
    nunnya

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 4949shooter

4949shooter
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

My G20SF was test fired in August. I consider it to be one of the best firearms purchases I have ever made.

$550 is a decent price. It's pretty much what you see them going for on Gunbroker, new. Anything closer to $600 and I would say you were paying too much.

3. ragsflh

ragsflh
    Expand Collapse

10mm great rd.500.00 to 550.00 average price.model 20sf shoots great

4. BKG-22

BKG-22
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Although have several Glocks, I have also been a 10mm lurker for several years. Mrs. Santa bought me one for Christmas this year (well, last year now) and I am pretty excited. Have gone to the range twice now am looking forward to trying the large array of ammo made for this caliber.

My wife paid $569 in West Michigan, but it was a blue label that included an extra mag, so I guess it was not too bad all things considered and actually cheaper than other shops I visited.

Good luck!

5. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

Great choice! I highly recommend the G20sf! It is a very versatile gun, being as you can get conversion barrels for it in .40s&w or .357sig. All you need for them is the barrel. So, if you decide you just really hate the 10mm (highly unlikely) you can always convert it to another caliber very easily! My lonewolf conversion barrel has been more reliable than my stock 10mm barrel even! Ive never had a single issue with the conversion barrel, and Ive run just as many, if not more, rounds of .40cal than I have 10mm, since theyre cheaper to plink with and punch holes in paper.

The same goes for the G29...there are all the same conversions available for it. You really can not go wrong with a G20sf, or a G29sf, either one is an excellent gun!

6. nickE10mm

nickE10mm
    Expand Collapse
    F.S.F.O.S.

Generation 3 G20SF would be my recommendation although any G20 is a fantastic purchase.

One of the best firearms ever made if you ask me.

7. Petrie

Petrie
    Expand Collapse

Just get a Glock 22/23. Don't fall into the 10mm ammo trap.

8. blastfact

blastfact
    Expand Collapse

Don't fall into the metrosexual .40 S&W trap. Figuring out which girls jeans to wear and all the make up problems will cut into your shooting activities. :whistling:

9. oceanbob

oceanbob
    Expand Collapse

Bad advice. Ammo is easy to get. No more expensive than .45. Underwood has some great prices and is good quality.

Also, he can swap to a .40 barrel (using the same magazines). A .40 in the G20SF platform shoots extremely well and feels like 9mm. So why buy a .40 G22/23 when he can buy a conversion barrel for $100 and have options on what to shoot?

Shooting 10MM is really a HOOT..! A properly loaded 10MM bullet has more speed at 100 yards than a .45 auto does at the muzzle. Nothing can touch the "Firepower" and "Stopping Power" of a GLOCK 20.

Nothing. :cool:

Be well, Bob

10. oceanbob

oceanbob
    Expand Collapse

LOL...I don't care who you are; that was funny right there.......:supergrin:

+100)

Take care, Bob

11. Morley Menthols

Morley Menthols
    Expand Collapse

Hi Nunnya, welcome to the 10 Ring. I do not sense any enthusiasm or excitement about purchasing a Glock 10mm caliber from reading your post. The best advice I can give you is to not nitpick the price, but go ahead and get a G20SF. After a trip to the range, enthusiasm and excitement will be your constant emotion. A 180 grain hollow point at 1300 fps does wonders for your range trips!

12. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

not to mention the curse every 28 days.

:rofl:

13. SolidBrass

SolidBrass
    Expand Collapse
    Against Shiny

The weakest 10mm ammo is likely still better than the hottest, most expensive rounds other Glocks shoot. Show me another round that will give you over 700ftlbs at 200gn

Perhaps by chance I shoot the 20sf far better than the 21. (?)

#13 SolidBrass, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  14. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

$550 is a fair price. You will not regret getting a G20 or G20SF. You didn't mention if you are a reloader. If so, even better. You can really exploit this fine, versatile cartridge in a very competent platform.

15. TDC20

TDC20
    Expand Collapse

I don't buy guns just because they're pretty, or because other people say nice things about them. I buy guns that are reliable and deliver. Period. And the G20 delivers 15+1 rounds of what is ballistically identical to .357 magnum, all in a platform that has about the same recoil as a .38 spl wheel gun. It's as reliable as the 92FS, only it packs a punch. $550 is a great value for what the G20 has to offer.

Don't listen to the metrosexual, ammo is plentiful. :rofl:

This gun is the real deal. You won't be disappointed!

16. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Perfectly stated!

17. JimIsland

JimIsland
    Expand Collapse

Are you the guy on the Burger King commercial with the little "girly hands"?:rofl:

Anyways, I just bought 1000 rounds of 10mm for .36 cents a rounds and 500 hollow point for .43 cents a round. care to explain to me what trap you are referring to??:whistling:

18. nunnya

nunnya
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback.
    I don't even want to consider a .40 when a simple bbl. conversion allows the 10mm to fire it's shorter weaker offspring.
    If I wanted something less than a 10mm I'd just stick to the .45's, which are still better than the .40.
    Are moly-coated lead bullets also a no no with the stock barrel?

Thanks,
    nunnya

#18 nunnya, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  19. Maine1

Maine1
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty sure this is a crime. Remedy this ASAP!
    Seriously, I wish i had gotten into 10mm years ago. I still like the 45, and will always have one, but the 10mm does it all. $550 NIB is OK, with night sites and 3 mags. But if its right there in front of you, consider that it might be worth $50 in your time and fuel costs.

20. SolidBrass

SolidBrass
    Expand Collapse
    Against Shiny

Hard to find other 10mm's at the $550 price point. It's nice to know that it just happens to be about the best available as well.