close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking about getting a bike.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NeverMore1701, Oct 22, 2012.

1. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

2. The Maggy

The Maggy

I've been test riding the fz8 at a local shop. They are trying to change my mind on an euro-naked bike.

It's a comfy bike for even me at 6'4.

It's an 800cc IL4 that has a comfortable seating position. It will do felonious speeds in second gear ~90mph, tops in 6th ~150mph. The matte grey color was used on the '12 models and it was very very sexy looking.

Similar bikes to consider would be the Ducati Monster 696 or 796, Aprilia Shiver 750, or the Triumph Street Triple.

The Monster and Shiver are v-twins, the Street Triple is an IL3. All priced about the same brand new.

ETA: this is not really a bike you would want to start out on. The engine is based off of their top of the line YFZ-R1. I don't know your riding experience so I will just leave it at that.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The FZ8 is a good standard bike. Though it does have a lot of zoot, not a bike for beginners no matter how much control they think that they have on their right wrist.

I don't see myself owning one of these types of bikes, but if I were then I'd probably lean more towards the Aprilia Dorsodura or the Triumph Street Triple just because they're more sporty and "cooler".

4. Powers77

Powers77

Friend had a FZ1 that I spent a day on in the AR twisties. FUN bike and I like the ergonomics. If I were you I'd go with the FZ 8 or the Triumph. The others are going to be more expensive to maintain IMHO.

5. roger123

roger123

What are you looking to do with it? I have an '07 Suzuki Vee Strom and love it. Its a great do anything bike, highway, freeway, dirt/gravel roads, back country twisty roads, it eats them all up with ease and can get 50mpg if you're easy on the gas.

Also have a Yamaha FJR but that would not be a good first bike!

6. NeverMore1701

I'm a fairly new rider and this would be my first bike. It's a bit bigger than I was originally looking for (600cc range), but I like the look a lot and it's under $10k new. Are there any that are very similar in the 600 range?

7. roger123

roger123

I wouldn't worry about an 800 being too much bike. The Yamie looks nice, all the manufacturers have bikes in that category, it's just a matter of finding one you like and will ride.

Don't forget to budget good gear into your budget (good protection, warm, waterproof, etc.). You'll need a helmet, gloves, jacket and boots to start.

Call your insurance agent for a quote on the different models you're considering as we'll.

8. platform

platform

you are very tall
    it is hard to imagine that you will not get to like FZ8 (or for that matter any other modern bike)

I have decided for myself that if I ever get a road bike
    it will need to have antilock brakes and traction control

if you plan to keep it outside, concider getting a good security chain and lock (like pragmasis in US sold by lockitt.com )

If you plan to explore gravel or moderate dirt roads at least 30% of the time, concider triumph tiger 800 with spoke wheels :cool:

9. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

You're going to put your eye out.

10. NeverMore1701

I'll get a good helmet, ain't my eyes I'd worry about :rofl:

11. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

SV 650
    vstrom 650
    KLR 650

I would suggest going with an upright bike if you are much over 30. They can be uncomfortable. Stay away from sport bikes ( too fast and can be twitchy) and Cruisers (too heavy IMO for a first bike...you will drop it )

The first bike is never the last. The KLR is great for tall riders. I always suggest go used for the first bike and get the foundation down about riding , then consider moving up or going new. My favorite all time bikes are the FJR,FZ1 and the Bandit. None are really good bikes to start with. These days I ride a Vstrom 650 as its like me upright, not as fast as others I have had, but reliable on most any road I dare go down.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

12. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

I second the VStrom 650. It's a very comfortable bike and has some nice zip to it. I'm 6' and have a bad ankle and I don't have any problems with 6-7 hour days.

I had a 2008 FZ1 and that thing is crazy fast. I did a track day with mine and even with a kinked fuel line that was only delivering 60% fuel, I still was able to hit 133 on the straight away. If the fuel line hadn't been kinked, I would have easily hit 150.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. The Maggy

The Maggy

Since you are a new rider, why exactly do you want a sport bike in the 600cc range? As your first bike, why have you written off smaller engine sizes?

As a new rider, do you understand the difference between a V-twin engine and an In-line 4?

I'm not trying to be a ****, I'm just curious and they are honest questions.

14. NeverMore1701

Nope, I'm shopping based on looks and hopefully getting a bike I won't outgrow in a year.

15. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I dig my KLR 650. It's like the AK of dual sports. It's not a road racing machine and it's simple and crude.

I rode a Suzuki Marauder for several years. It was fun and good to learn on as it was cheap for me. Now I get on it and it's awkward as hell to ride compared to the KLR. My perception of cruisers has been significantly altered.

The KLR is fun as hell to ride miles and miles on the road then take off onto a dirt trail that catches your eye.

I will probably never own a crotch rocket as I tend to ride fast and I don't think I could control myself on a machine capable of +150 mph speeds.

Whatever you get leave room for good riding gear, jacket, pants, and a decent helmet and gloves.

16. NeverMore1701

The plan is actually to buy the gear before the bike, so that won't be a problem. I won't need any offroad capability, as there's really not anywhere to ride offroad here. All private land, and I'm not going to ride my bike two hours up to the ranch when I have 4 4wheelers and a Ranger already there.

17. edporch

edporch

I have a Yamaha 2008 FJR 1300 and it's my second bike after laying off riding for 14 years from my first bike, a used 1984 Honda V65 Magna.

In fact, it was the 1100cc V65 Magna that sold me on water cooled, 4 cylinder Double Overhead Cam Engines, along with shaft drive.

I love my FJR.
    It does many things well, and is fairly easy to do my own maintenance.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  18. The Maggy

The Maggy

The difference between a IL4 and a V-twin are something that you should look into before you pull the trigger on a bike. The IL4 tends to be the bigger, badder brother of motorcycles. A 600cc IL4 is comparable to a 1000cc V-twin.

Do some looking and research for yourself and be absolutely honest with yourself about your experience and abilities.

Riding can be an awesome and very entertaining experience; but if you buy a bike that you can't control right now, you are going to be looking like Wiley Coyote strapped to an acme rocket for awhile
    [​IMG]
    You may do just fine or you may get in over your head.

19. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I just bought a 1984 V65 Magna a couple of months ago. It's not just an impressive bike for 1984, it's impressive for today. The only things not up to modern standards are the brakes and the size of the passenger's seat.

20. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

I have owned many I4 and V-twin rockets. I would add "on the track" to your post. On the street, low and mid range is most often used, in that range the twin is usually king.