close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thinking about buying Glock 23.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DARKSHADOW, Jan 26, 2013.

1. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW
    Expand Collapse
    My Work Hobby
    CLM

For some reason in my neck of the woods .40 ammo seems to always be on the shelf when it comes to panic buying. 45acp and 9mm are the first to go along with .223 ammo, and even 22LR is mostly gone from the few stores I have been to.

So, this has me thinking I should by another Glock, but in the .40 family. The Glock 23 seems to fit the bill, the height from the bottom of the mag to the top of the slide is only 2/10" taller than my Glock 36, and the standard mag carries 13 rounds.

I just want to add another horse to the CCW corral that I can still find ammo for while everyone is gobbling up the other caliber ammo.

Who here has a Glock 23, and how do you like it?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 DARKSHADOW, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

I have a 23C. Your description of your area and caliber available seems to be the same in my neck of the woods as well.

3. G23c

G23c
    Expand Collapse

Love my G23's. I have G23c and a Gen 2 that I had magnaported back in the day. I take it as my sidearm every time I go hunting. Just a great gun, go get one!

4. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr
    Expand Collapse

My G23's are my absolute favorites.

5. SargeMO

SargeMO
    Expand Collapse

They are great... if i had to get by with one, the 23 would be IT.

Range reports from several 23's included here.

6. Steel Head

Steel Head
    Expand Collapse
    Tactical Cat

My G23 is the only Glock I've kept.
    It's all the Glock I need.

7. bennie1986

bennie1986
    Expand Collapse

My gen 3 23 is my favorite gun!

8. bobtheelf

bobtheelf
    Expand Collapse

I like mine. This is 10 shots at about 10 yards from a couple days ago.

Attached Files:

• 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      216.5 KB
      Views:
  9. rilkil23

rilkil23
    Expand Collapse

My Gen4 G23 has become my favorite. I received it as a Christmas gift 2012.

#9 rilkil23, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. USAFgoober

USAFgoober
    Expand Collapse

Ive had a Gen4 23 since early last year. Its my primary CCW gun. It has run perfectly since day one, couldnt be happier with it.

11. MotoXXX

MotoXXX
    Expand Collapse

How can you tell what Gen your G 23 is?

12. sernul

sernul
    Expand Collapse

I was in the same predicament as you on the .40 caliber glock. After lots of research about the glock .40 kaboom and the head of the barrel isn't fully supported I went with the 9mm.

#12 sernul, Jan 27, 2013
  13. Seawolf

Seawolf
    Expand Collapse

Every time some thread pops up trashing the 40S&W Glocks I smile. More ammo for me.

14. Seawolf

Seawolf
    Expand Collapse

You do realize that only revolvers can fully support the neck of a case. Glock has also made changes to the feed ramp and throat of the barrel to add more support to the neck in it's 40S&W handguns.
    All guns go kaboom if the ammo is bad. It's not the gun's fault. 1911s, Sigs, Berettas, even revolvers have gone BOOM from bad ammo.
    Stop spreading b*ll**** you know nothing about.

Photo from another thread on the same kaboom claims.
    [​IMG]

#14 Seawolf, Jan 27, 2013
  15. cadillacguns

cadillacguns
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I bet my life on my G-23. Nuff said!:wavey:

16. CynicX

CynicX
    Expand Collapse

I have a G32 with a 23 barrel. I love .40 s&w, has a good amount of firepower for its size. It runs great, IMO it's a little more snappy then 9mm and 45acp (unless you are showing light grain high power 45acp) so that might be a turn off for some. Not me though!

17. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

+ 1
    I have been shooting 40 S&W in a Glock since 2002,reload for it ,even cast lead bullets through a factory barrel .
    Through the tens of thousands of rounds I have never Ka Boomed not one single round.

When I load them I load them as what they are 40 S&W's not 10mm's. Ka Booms are a direct result of ammunition,nothing more. SJ 40

18. fortheboys

fortheboys
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2nd gen 23 that I use in my off duty rotation in a milt sparks SS2. Has never had one malfunction with everything from practice/lead free rounds to Corbon 165 jhp's.
    Fantastic weapon. It will never leave me just like my 2nd gen 19.

Good luck and enjoy it if you buy one.

19. LT642

LT642
    Expand Collapse

We issue the G 22. 23, and 27 depending on the officer's assigment, when possible they are given a choice between the 22 and 23. The G23 has been a reliable pistol, and I have not seen any issues with them. Many of our officers shoot monthly and have voiced no complaints.

I happen to like the G23, I carry that or a G27 daily. If you shoot quality factory ammo and follow Glock's maintenance guidelines, I don't think you'll have a problem.
    I know many here on GT don't want to have to buy numerous cailbers, but when the well runs dry, it's nice to have options.

Good luck with your decision and let us know waht you decide.

20. SargeMO

SargeMO
    Expand Collapse

Now you've gone and used my photo, apparently to make a point completely opposite of what the photo illustrates.

The point of that photo and the article it attributes to was to illustrate that Glock has in fact increased chamber support in their .40 cal barrels over the years. Now why would they do this?

When .40 Glocks started appearing on LE ranges, they were immediately followed by a series of NCIC teletype bulletins describing guns bursting during range exercises. During the early 90's, the teletype was spitting them out at several a month. These were detailed, specific and usually described the type of ammo being used at the time of the event. Factory loads were named in the majority of them. Just to check my memory, I bounced this off somebody who worked full time at the communications desk at that time. She says AT LEAST once a week to her recollection, from about 91-94. I don't know if NCIC saves their officer safety bulletins from that far back. I've been away from uniform patrol from '96 to '08, so I can't comment with any authority on what went out over the TTY during that period. I can tell you with confidence that LE KaBooms are all but unheard of since 2008.

If patrol cars, shotguns, or mace cannisters had been blowing up like that, there would have been hell to pay; MAJOR recalls, citing specific failures and serial # ranges, once the manufacturer acknowledged the problem. I don't really know how Glock managed to dodge that bullet, but I do know that it would be uncharacteristic for NCIC to have engaged in 'Glock bashing'.

What the photo illustrates is that Glock made subtle changes, w/o admitting there ever was a chamber support problem in the first place. But there definitely was a problem and it wasn't 'the ammo'. We were running those loads through S&W, Sig and Beretta .40's w/o any problem at all. I have run literally thousands of .40 cal lead bullet reloads and factory FMJ through XD's w/o a problem.

PS- If you're going to spread bull**** you know nothing about, do not use my photos to do it.

#20 SargeMO, Jan 27, 2013