Thinking about an AK 47 - is this a good general purpose?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Jim1970, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Who gives a damn that one AK is the same price as one AR? Hell, I can tell you one car is the same price as one truck. How does that help the person looking for the car?

OP... that rifle would serve you just fine.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. OP, stay away from the CAA, TASCO, Tapco, Mako garbage people tend to throw on AKs. If you want a M4 style stock look into VLTOR's adapter or ACE has some good products as well. Rifle Dynamics has an adapter as well that sells for a decent price.

------------

The misconceptions on AKs and ARs is tiering. Apples to Apples, steel to steel they are w/i pennies of each other.

Don't blame the firearm because you can't reload correctly.

#22 mjkeat, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache
    Millennium Member

Yes I am, this AK is very accurate, the WASR I used to own not so much

4. If you are interested in a general purpose AK you cant really beat a GP WASR 10/63 (the better of the WASR's). GP even stands for general purpose, lol.

Watch this video I made. It might be helpful for anyone new to WASR's? Im no expert but I enjoyed making it for potential WASR shoppers.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZc-yLYt4Uk"]AK47 WASR 10/63 review & buyers guide - YouTube[/ame]

#24 mixflip, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

the AK-47 is the 30-30 of the combat rifle world.

6. I understand what you're saying here but a VLTOR adaptor costs 17% of the gun he's looking at and I'm assuming he's on a budget. I've never had an issue with any adaptors and I have CAA, MAKO, VLTOR, and SRVV adaptors. Sure the SRVV & VLTOR are nicer---no doubt about it---but they all function the same in my experience. :dunno:

[​IMG]

7. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to stop in and again say, "THANK YOU!" to all of you for the input on my question. I'm a noob when it comes to the AK, so I'm reading and researching and learning. The input is greatly appreciated!

Jim

8. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Very nice.

9. Excellent and accurate statement.

10. RUT

RUT

>>i figure the panic buying would have driven the prices through the roof at this point.<<

Give it time.... it hasn't happened quite yet.

11. I own a few of each. For your purposes I would think the AK would serve you well.

If it's going to sit in the closet most of the time just get a basic AK not and AR. People have laid out all the reasons but the main selling point for an AK is it's reliability and durabilty. Most things on an AK can be fixed with a hammer. Bad ammo is no problem. Dirty rifle, Nyet problem. No cleaning supplies, wash it out with a hose, wipe it dry and lube with motor oil again no problem. Both will do the job but for your purposes when shtf an AK will serve you well.

Sonny P, a Russian trainer, tells a story about the AR vs. AK. He states that the AR looks good on your arm but needs to be handled with care if you want it to do what you want. He calls it a prom queen. He said the AK will take lot's of abuse the AR can't handle and when you are done, wash it off with a hose and it's ready for more. He calls the AK a Biker Chick. He then states when you are in a fight to the death do you want a prom queen or a biker chick fighting with you? Sure it's a funny story and apologies to my biker chick friends but he's right.

#31 Hedo1, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  12. haven't got to watch the video yet, but what exactly is a GP wasr? I bought a wasr from Dunham's, Century Arms, but i don't know if it's a GP WASR or not. How do you tell? What makes a GP WASR better than a regualr WASR? thank you

if you answered this in the vid sorry, I won't be able to watch the video until i get off of work...

13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall HildabeastHater