Glock Talk banner

Thinking about a new 1911; thoughts?

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  bac1023 
#1 · (Edited)
So I want a Ruger SR1911, but I'm not sure if, after I sell a gun off, I'll have the money for one. So, if not the Ruger, something in the $500 range. I'm thinking the Regent R100, but I am open to other brands within that price range. I'm assuming, at $500, it would be a mil-spec 1911.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: requirements are: "Series 70" safety, and the ability to feed hollowpoints. This gun would double as a plinking/range gun, and as a apartment-defense gun.

#2 ·
I've got a Springfield Mil-spec (it's heavily customized now) that has been great. The first 500 rounds through it were in stock form and it functioned flawlessly with hp or range ammo. It is a series 70 gun too. On the lower end I've heard good things about the Remington R1 guns and the Rock Island guns as well. I'd ask the guys over in the 1911 forum for a much better response.

#3 ·
I have a phillipine made Rock Island in .45acp and,Ihave 2. One is the CS in 3.5 inch barrel and, a 5 inch one also in .45acp. I shoot all my factory,and reloaded hard cast gas checked lead rounds all in the 185 to 230 grain loads. I bought them used from Cabelas for $600 for the pair. They are both like brandnew and parkerized. Best .45s for the price and no ftf,or ftes.

#7 ·
I have a phillipine made Rock Island in .45acp and,Ihave 2. One is the CS in 3.5 inch barrel and, a 5 inch one also in .45acp. I shoot all my factory,and reloaded hard cast gas checked lead rounds all in the 185 to 230 grain loads. I bought them used from Cabelas for $600 for the pair. They are both like brandnew and parkerized. Best .45s for the price and no ftf,or ftes.
WOW. That was a deal on those. These are what I would recommend also. Mine has been great.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 · (Edited)
there is a lot of good ones out there to choose from. I chose the Springfield Range Officer and could not be happier. It is a great bang for your buck 1911.
I have had a few 1911's over the years ranging from budget guns to "medium" custom guns. (1000-1500 range. ) I like the RO better then any of the others I have had.
Edit: sorry , just caught the 500.00 part. You should check out out the Rock Island. My friend has one and has shot it quite a bit and really likes it.

#10 ·
Just save up the money and get the Ruger. A buddy of mine got one about a month ago for $790 otd. A little high but it's a very nice 1911 . I like it as much as my Kimber and Colt. But , I just like MADE IN USA when it comes to a 1911. On the other hand my nephew has a Rock Island Commander and it's a heck of a 45 for the $$.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I agree with you. If you're that close just save for a while. Just remember in that price range you are not buying a Dan Wesson. It'll be good to have Ruger's excellent CS. The only complaints I hear of the Ruger is cosmetic issues. As I said, it ain't a Dan Wesson but it is well-built and Ruger will stand firmly behind it.

#11 ·
Within the price constraints you list, I would strongly suggest looking at a Rock Island Armory. This past Friday I saw several at the LGS for $419 plus tax. The tactical version was $459 plus tax. The tactical RIA in the LGS looked to be well worth the extra bit of money.

#13 ·
Our experience with two RIA's has been completely satisfactory. They are good shooters and work reliability. Cannot (yet) speak to long term life, as neither of ours have over 2K rounds through them. Spent $450 on the 1911 Tac and $500 on the 2011 full rail Tac.

We trudge on.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies! I've checked out RIA; I may just save up for a Ruger, but it may take me a while. And I haven't even come close to selling my J-frame and gear either, so as of right now, it's not even gonna happen.

But I can hope...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.