close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Thermold mags...Yeah or nay?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by mac66, May 21, 2011.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I noticed CDNN has Thermold 20 rnd mag on sale this weekend really cheap. Anybody use them? Would they be good for range mags or are they junk?

2. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I use my 1 for the range on occasion and only for that reason, when it has a problem I'll get rid of it... I prefer PMAGS or the Brownell's USGI mags.

I have read Thermold is so/so....

Last edited: May 21, 2011

3. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    Range only for me, tho I have never had any problems with them.

4. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    I've used them in the past and for range mags they were ok. Although i once left one loaded in my range bag for a few weeks and when i went to shoot it off i had feed problems. at the time i was sure that the feed lips had spread on me later i thought the spring might have gone bad. Anyway once i started having problems i got rid off it. life is to short to deal with bad mags.

this was at least 10 years ago, i haven't played with them since then. so i can't really say if the new ones are good or bad.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I got some 20rnd magazines after a CDNN special and they work well for range use , I've had them for 1-2 years now

6. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    Used them for the purpose you suggest and no problems at all .

7. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I had some issues with the ones I left fully loaded between range sessions. If I didnt leave them loaded for any extended length of time, they were 100%. I wouldnt bet my life on them but they are plenty good.

8. mac66

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    $3/each and $5 flat rate shipping is hard to beat.

9. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    And crap is still crap, even if it’s free! I’ve seen lots of problems with Thermold. They might work for a while but they don’t last. Crap magazines are the cause of most malfunctions in semi-auto rifles and pistols. With so many good choices right now, I wouldn’t touch a Thermold or Orlite.
    BCM has mags for $8.99 ea. Yeah, it’s more up front but their service life will probably be three times as long.
    Just my .02

10. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    Buy quality, it is cheaper in the long run.

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    PMags are GI issue now for a reason, they are what everyone is trying to beat.

Thermolds have had varied quality over the years. I have no use for them.

12. mac66

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Which is why I was asking. While I like top shelf stuff, sometimes good enough is good enough. If I can buy something at a bargain for limited use it is sometimes good enough. And, of course one never knows until someone tries. I've been happy with mil-spec mags up to this point, haven't had any reason to buy PMags.

13. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    I wouldn't spend money on anything but PMags or mil-spec aluminum mags...though CAA is making a PMag knockoff that looks tempting if it was priced right.

14. djegators

djegators

Mar 1, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    The cliche "penny-wise, pound-foolish" comes to mind.

15. Drgslayr

Drgslayr

Sep 30, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I vote trash.

I bought 2 from CtD, and the feed lips where so bad that the bullet tips chewed up my feed ramps.

16. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    thermolds were called thermelts by our canadian allies who adopted them initially, and now the canadian armed forces use aluminum mags- that should be a clue. Unless you live in a ban state like mine where I can't buy new ar mags by law, stepping up to the 10 or so dollar each usgi aluminum mags or 14 or so buck p-mags is the way to go. no part in a semi auto is more critical to feeding than the mag-not the place to skip on quality