There will be no AWB!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Armchair Commando, Dec 27, 2012.

1. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

...so basically we are screwed sooner or later.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

You're not the only one that is paying attention to this.

If you want to look back to the past, you would note one very glaring point:

Back in 1993, when the AWB was passed, there had NOT been recent mass shootings with AR15s. Despite this, the AWB was still passed. Of course this lead to the Dems getting crushed in the mid term elections the next year.

Now, we have had a run of very gruesome, and very recent mass shootings with AR15s. And Sandy Hook is having an effect on people the likes of which we have never seen before. But for some reason you believe that all of this means that there will NOT be new anti-gun legislation passed.

You want to think that the Dems will face another crushing defeat in the legislature in 2014, like they did in 1994. That would be an ignorant assumption. With the effects of Sandy Hook and other recent shootings, it is far more likely that some elected officials will lose their seats if they don't vote for the looming anti-gun legislation.

There is going to be enough elected representatives, that previously would not have voted for anti-gun legislation, that will flip and vote for it, out of fear of losing their seats. That will get the looming anti-gun legislation passed.

Times have changed, and it seems like too many gun owners are stuck in the past from 20 years ago. Or fail to grasp the impact of 20 6 & 7 year olds getting murdered.

When the anti-gun folks like Feinstein present their legislation to the floor, they will most certainly roll out the "Mothers and Fathers of the Disappeared" from the Sandy Hook shootings, right out in front of the cameras on live, national TV.

Final point: Most people on GT thought that there were enough votes to stop Obummer Care. A lot of people here were certain Romney would win.

Ooooooops!!

#42 M&P15T, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. That's not true. Killen, Texas.... late 1991 and the Cleveland school shooting before that. They may not have been recent to certain standards but they were both ingrained in the political discussion back then. Namely, the school shooting about "assault rifles"

#43 MD357, Dec 28, 2012
  4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Killeen was pistols, not an AR.

I can't find anything on a shooting in a Cleveland school around that time. Remember what year that occured?

#44 M&P15T, Dec 28, 2012
  5. Yep IMO that is correct. We take it in the rear now or after 2014. Sucks either way. I would think that if this panic buying things calms down it would be wise to stock up before 2014 just incase. Plus it's a great excuse to buy more guns :)

6. If we hold the House Republicans coming out for gun controls feet to the fire maybe not. Grassley R-GA and Kingston R-Iowa just put out some noise the other day that they are for some gun control measures. It only takes 40 to cross over to screw us.

#46 humanguerrilla, Dec 28, 2012
  7. Republicans hold a 33 vote majority, so only 17 have to cross. That's assuming that EVERY Democrat votes for it, which is extremely unlikely. The Republican head of the House Judiciary committee has already made it clear he doesn't support an AWB, and the bill will have to go through his committee. He can kill it single-handedly by now allowing it to come up for debate in his committee.

8. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

They put that bill out every ****ing year since the sunset of the 94 crime bill ban.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Man, somebody tell Feinstein she needs to quit the Senate and just concentrate on being a professional lobbyist for the anti crowd. At least that'll get her out of government.

10. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy
    CLM

Thanks for lulling us into a false sense of security.:wavey:

11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

All true.

:cool:

12. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Thanks for posting. One of, if not, the best articles on AWB/gun control I've read. I will be passing it on, for sure. :thumbsup:

13. Gunnut, I am 100% with you on this. I can put my head on my pillow at night knowing that I did not vote for Obamamoa. Anyone that is into the 2nd Amen.and voted for him is a complete moron.:tongueout:

14. Thanks. I don't know what I was looking at.

15. You forget one thing the President may have the opportunity to appoint several Supreme Court Justices this term and could change any previous rulings and sway any future lawsuits in favor of the liberals.

16. Tell Obama that. Under item number 4 he magically stopped the deportation of illegal imigrants. Between him and Holder laws or the enforcement of them mean nothing.

17. ...by ordering INS to not follow an existing law. Executive Orders can not make news laws.

Do I think he wishes he could? Maybe. I don't think he's dumb enough to try, though.

18. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I'm more and more convinced that Glock Talk is not the best place to read the tea leaves of politics in this country.

Folks here were certain Obummber Care would not pass.
    Folks here were certain that the USSC would over-turn Obummer care.
    Folks here were certain Obummer would not get re-elected.

And folks here now believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

I remain convinced that anti-gun legislation is going to pass. In fact I think the mag restrictions are going to be passed next week.

Time will tell.

#59 M&P15T, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  19. SO are you sitting on your ass proclaiming the end of the world, or are you actually trying to do something about it? No new legislation can pass without the House, and you can help stop it by telling your federal Senators and Representative that you do not agree with these proposals and will NOT support any politician that votes for them.