The Welfare State and Manhood

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by happyguy, Feb 16, 2013.

1. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Code:

You've stated this a few times, and I think it succinctly sums up the problem. Social issues are not all that should separate the parties. By making this accurate observation, you've backed into the real problem: that both the republicans and the social democrats are both parties of big, activist government. The republicans attempt to differentiate themselves (and garner votes) by representing themselves as the party of 'conservative' social values. In reality, however, they support the same dynamics of big government as the democrats. And when it comes to the national security state, both parties are in lockstep. There is no opposition party standing in the way of the growth of the federal state and the absolute power it assumes. Just witness the 'debate' on presidential powers of assassination and secret committee - leaders of both parties are falling over themselves to assume powers for the chief executive, and for the state, with scant regard who may wield such powers in the future. And as for fiscal issues, the record speaks for itself on government spending under both parties. So yes, you're right, non-issues like school prayer and 'legitimate rape' are all that's controversial among the parties.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. :thumbsup::agree:

3. Taxpayers having to pay for abortions IS a social issue.

Why should Rick Santorum need to keep his opinion to himself if he's against the use of birth control? Doesn't he have a first amendment right to free speech, especially as a political candidate?

You libertarians really show your true colors sometimes.

4. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

You have got to be the crankiest old crank on GT.

:fred::fred::fred:

5. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

If manliness were so bad, why is it pushed on females so much? Imitation is the biggest form of flattery!

6. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Is the government keeping Santorum from expressing his opinion? I don't think so so his first amendment rights are perfectly safe.

He should have kept his opinion to himself if he didn't want to be mocked out of the running by an overwhelming majority of the population that didn't care to hear his message. It's called being out of touch but you wouldn't know anything about that.

7. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

Youse writing a novella,sounds like it.'08. :fishing:

8. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut
    Lifetime Member

^^This applies equally well to Ron Paul.

Most of us want to see conservative fiscal policy. We need a man like Reagan that can inspire people, stay on message, and draw in the votes.

BTW, ideas like eliminating all entitlements right now don't work. Yes, that is the goal. Good luck getting elected w/ that message.

9. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

They gotta go.'08.

10. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I ain't got time to read that. Gunna build a shed, mow the yard, go whoop this dude's ass who looked at me the wrong way, slam some beers, then whisky, and finally pound my ol' lady. She'll be on the bottom.

11. Hot damn! Memories of my younger years. Brought a tear..........

12. What a wussie.

A REAL man would make her get on top and do the work.

13. Angry Fist

Angry Fist *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I have to pass out sooner or later.

14. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

I'm not done reading the thread, so I may have more comments, but wanted to answer this one for fun:

Suburban, but redneck as heck (we currently have chickens and guineas only, but have had goats, pigs, rabbits, and the fowl as well). Trying to get bills paid off and move to the country.

Got two deer myself and a third donated. Killed a few ducks, plus the tree rats. That was this year - no luck on turkeys this season. I typically kill and butcher my own stuff @ home (see the aforementioned pigs & rabbits for an example). I hang Bambi and his cousins in my backyard for aging and butchering, as well.

I cut my own hair, and the wife shaves the boys. The girls see a stylist...because they're girls. Sometimes, if she's home when I need it, my wife will shave my head, as well. Haven't been to a barber shop in well over a decade, and never set foot in a salon for my own hair care.

See above for hair issues.

I got my CCDW permit at the minimum age (21) for my state. That was in 1997. Been carrying since then, but as an officer since 2000. Had a permit until LEOSA passed; since then, haven't had a need for it. Will get another one someday, I'm sure, but since I have over 10 years of service, LEOSA covers me for the rest of my life. Good times.

15. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Your MAN CARD is safe, put it back in your wallet.

Ivan either doesn't have one, or might need to turn it in.

16. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Well, if he wanted to get elected he should have kept his stupid **** to himself. He and the rest of the republicans need to understand that to change anything you have to be elected first. They also need to understand that social issues are a dead horse that they're beating as evidenced by the losses of pray the gay away Bachman, ass police ban birth control Santorum, legitimate rape Aiken and rape babies are God's will Mourdoch.

17. Reagan grew the state like few before him. He squandered billions and expanded the empire fighting a socioeconomic philosophy that was doomed to failure anyway.

18. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut
    Lifetime Member

You're missing the point. He destroyed his Democrat opponents by convincing Democrats to vote for him. We need a funny, personable guy that can make his opponent look foolish without being "mean". He has to appeal to conservatives, some libs, and spineless independents. We need our own Slick Willy.

#118 TX OMFS, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  19. To this day, when I watch some of Reagan's more famous speeches, I cry. Unfortunately, he is held up as a conservative measuring stick by conservatives who prefer a large, powerful state.

20. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Interesting questions.
    My home is rural by any definition.

I took 1 deer this November with a longbow the way real men do it. (OK, so it was an opportunist shot out the back door but I did not take it to the processor) We have some pretty fat squirrels running around here that I've been eyeballing but I want to get a pellet gun to save .22 ammo first.

I have an awesome Wahl trimmer that I can cut my own hair with because as much as I'm indifferent to the military I do like their logic about haircuts.

I like to cover up the stupid tabloid rags at the grocery store counter with gun magazines and stuff like Scientific American and Popular Mechanics from the big magazine rack that I read while in line.

I've been licensed to carry almost 6 years and instructing others just as long. I don't usually carry because there's just no need here in Mayberry but I always go strapped when I venture out to the bigger towns, especially when going to the theater. I'm working on getting another PPK for a smaller EDC because the one I have is rather girly and I won't carry it.

And on me at all times is a Swiss army knife, a maratac flashlight and a really slick tactical folder and a lighter. Fire, light, blade. I have a brother in the Navy.

I guess my mancard status is also safe. Unless you factor in the fact that at least 50% of my income comes from making wedding rings for gay couples. That might bump me down a notch or two.

Almost forgot, all of this after being raised in Chicago by pacifist JWs. Now I despise big cities. Do I get points for overcoming impossible odds?