close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The "weapons" we made as kids.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    As a kid (a pre teen) what kind of things did you modify/make into a "weapon?"

Things like rubber band slingshots or twig bow and arrows? Actual kid ingenuity.

For example, (I dont know if they still let kids have them) toys used to come with spring loaded "missle launchers" Transformers in particular had these. We used to take them appart and "boost" them by putting in much stronger springs. You could increase the range from about 5 feet to well over 20.

For another one, I notched a 2X4 to accept a throwing dart. With a length of "rehab" rubber (the kind people use to stretch in rehab) I could fling a dart over 100 yards.

My favorite though was my "air rocket."

I had a music stand (the kind that held up a drum) it was little more than a tripod with a hollow metal tube in the middle, about 2 feet long.

I had a foot pump to blow up rafts with. The air pump tube fit (and sealed) in the music stand. If you took a leap on that foot pump, whatever you had put in the tube would come out with great force. I had some ball bearings that I could put through corrugated tin. It really was a crew served weapon though if you wanted to "aim" it. :rofl:

So, what did you do?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. paulbow

paulbow

Jan 27, 2009
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Bow and arrow made from sticks and dental floss.

3. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I remember making spoke guns. Using a bicycle spoke, we would fill the nipple with the white part of strike-anywhere matches and then stuff a bb (I think) inside. The nipple was then heated with another match until it fired.

4. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Dec 1, 2001
    Spring, TX.
    We made a bunch of tennis ball cannons out of coke cans with the ends taken off and taped together. Used hair spray or alcohol for fuel.

Slings and slingshots were pretty common home made weapons.

5. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

Nov 3, 2006
    In a handbasket
    Jarts.

[​IMG]

The ultimate kid weapon.

6. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Break a stick in a Y shape, and put a big rubberband on top to make a slingshot. You learned real quick that you need a strong stick or it will break and smack you :supergrin:

The cardboard wrapping paper tubes were always great to just beat people with, or launch stuff out of.

7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Yes they were!

It is amazing all the things a bored kid can do with a tube.

8. pmcjury

pmcjury

Nov 4, 2008
    If you take the card board tube off a pants hanger you can cut it I half and run a length of fire through them. Instant kid nunchucks

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

9. johnd

johnd

May 17, 2000
    I was lucky in that respect that I grew up in post war Europe and the ME and there were unfired bullets EVERYWHERE. Even AAA shells ( mostly 20mm, 40mm) and even the occasional UXB. Lots of lots of anti personnel and incendiary bomblets too.
    We used to put the bullets in pipes and shoot them using a nail and hammer and the bigger rounds we used to empty out the powder and set fire to it to shoot rocks etc out of a pot or pipe
    There was even the occasional grenade if we went hunting in the old barracks areas.

Fun times, lots of big bangs, the occasional wound or cut....normal kid stuff.

Later in life I discovered that if you added model aeroplane engine fuel to an airgun you got a huge flame and a pellet that would go clean through 6 glass houses...more fun stuff.

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I would make my own wrist rockets... many a porcelain sink fell to that weapon and a few magpies too.

11. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Feb 1, 2005
    Slingshots and sharpened spears were probably the first. But one that stands out was a pair of nunchucks I made out of some kind of hollow metal rods. I got pretty good with them after a few pings to the forehead.

12. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

Jun 25, 2007
    Ohio
    Some friends of mine and I took super soakers and replaced the tips with metal. We the filled them with gas and used them as flame throwers. No idea how none of us got burnt.

13. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Aug 2, 2002
    NKY/Cincinnati area
    The standard bow and arrow, slingshots, and knotted war clubs. Also, dead horsetail stalks made good throwing spears. They averaged eight feet long, fairly hard and straight with a pointed taproot.
    Fireworks were fun. Made bottle rocket rifles, multiple bottle rocket launchers, larger rockets mirv'd with three or four M80s or a dozen firecrackers. Roman candle cannons.
    Fun stuff and nobody got hurt.:supergrin:
    Hairspray flamethrowers.
    Vinegar and baking soda bombs.
    Chemistry set stinkbombs.
    Kitchen matches shot from bb gun muzzle. A couple inches of string glued to end of match kept it fairly stable. Also made darts for bb gun.

Ah, the good ol' days.

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    We had an old dry lake bed and we'd make Molotov cocktails and lob them at coke crates and wooden pallets. Probably be frowned on today...

15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    I grew up in an apartment building. Inner tubes were still popular and gas stations had dumpsters full of them and we'd tie a whole bunch together and make giant slingshots that we'd string between ventpipes on the roof. If we had enough kids, we could pull it back enough to launch bricks across Shore Rd and the Belt Pkwy. and splash 'em in the water. HH

16. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I once made a "rocket launcher" out of a PVC tube, the battery scavenged from a used Polaroid film cartridge and D size model rocket engines.

Fun and games.

17. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Dec 28, 2006
    Green Country
    I'm betting that whatever it was, kids today certainly don't know how............ and by all means wouldn't be allowed to do such terrible and nasty "weapony" things.

18. Paul_J

Paul_J

Nov 19, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Blowguns were my favorite. The tube from a coat hanger, cotton balls, masking tape and wooden skewers from mom's kitchen drawer did the trick!

19. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

Jul 10, 2007
    If you cut two feet off your mom's broom handle, and hack a couple inches of chain from the hanging lamp in your dad's work room, you can make some awesome nunchucks.

Which you will later be threatened to be beat with.

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    We made some sophisticated crossbows.

Started with two boards nailed together and a "string" made from bike inner tubes.

We ended with real working crossbows with limbs scavenged from damaged recurve bows.

Our parents put an end to it when one kid made one that could put a shaft through a cedar fence.