close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The VV N320 Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cysoto, Dec 20, 2011.

1. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    ...I admit it, I fell for it!!

I've been shooting USPSA for a couple of years and, ever since I began, I have heard people praising the glories of VV N320. Well, about six months ago, I finally decided to spend nearly $200 and purchased 6lbs of it. I expected it to be super-accurate and produce the lightest recoil impulse of any powder available. Man-oh-man, was I disappointed with the results!!

I have no idea why the "kwel-kids" like this powder so much but the bottom line is that, after six pounds of N320 and 10,000 rounds fired, I still don't see any benefit to using it.

Back to the drawing board...

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Why I NEVER buy more than a # of anything & test it first. I have at least 6 partial bottles of powder I don't like or down right hate including Clays, TG, Universal, AA#5, BlueDot, RL7, a couple more I can't remember. Consider I load for I think 22 diff calibers, I test quite a few powders before buying anything in bulk. I like the VV powders in certain rifle rounds, but don't like the price or lack of availability in most areas. They are good powders but really don;t do much better if at all than many others.

3. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I thought I was being smart because this powder is ubber-difficult to find and, like I mentioned before, for years I have been hearing the Kool-Aid drinking folks singing its praises.

Lesson learned!! :thumbsup:

4. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    VV is Vihtavuori right.. Because I really want to try this but cant find it local and don't want to pay hazmat on a pound, it will end up being a $60 pound....:shame:

VIHTAVUORI N140 1LB POWDER (RIFLE) 12/CS

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  5. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yeap, that's the one!

For pistol powders I can find N310 & N340 locally very easily but the N320 spot on the shelve has been sitting empty for years. That's until about six months ago when I first saw any N320 on the shelve and decided that I had to try it out.

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I tried it. I liked it but didn't think it was any better than WSF. For the extra cost? Nah....

7. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    All the VV powders are easy to find compared to N-330. Developed expressly for the 9MM, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that provides better accuracy albeit, not as soft as the quicker powders. FWIW, groups extraordinarily well with every bullet weight I've seen. N-320 can be down-loaded to shoot pretty soft in a 9MM but has never been as accurate. N-340 is pretty good all around too but seems to have a little tighter load window for best accuracy. If I could only have one powder for 9MM, it's N-330, hands down.

8. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    You see, now you are making me curious!! :shocked:

Ha, ha... Nah, I think I'll stick to Titegroup or WSF for now. :supergrin:

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I'll take both of those over any more VV stuff....

WSF is great, and TG is working for me right now. Just fine and much cheaper.

10. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    What were you putting over the powder and how much ? I have had great results with N320. Still ove my Unique but N320 is clean stuff

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I wonder if 310 would have been better? How fast is 320 compared to the evil TG and WST?

12. noylj

noylj

Jul 20, 2010
    N310 is a VERY fast powder. It is good for light target loads in .45ACP and .38 Special. It has the same spikey pressure curve as Clays.

13. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    It took me a while to figure out a load but I settled on 4.0gr of VV N320 over 124gr FMJ (I tried both Zero & Montana Gold) loaded at an OAL of 1.130" and crimped to 0.377".

14. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jan 21, 2004
    Denver, CO
    According to this powder burn rate ( http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html ) N310 is REALLY fast burning. I haven't heard of many folks using it for Minor 9mm loads and I didn't want to chance it.

15. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    Very popular in Bullseye competition. I use N-310 some in .45 and believe it or not, in one non-published .40 load. It is very, very, fast and ssems to have higher energy content than S-1000. I don't *think* it would fly well in 9MM but I've not tried it there. It's clean burning even in light loads but anyone that does use it certainly needs to respect it and don't even think about pushing the envelope.

16. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    I have used n320 on 115 cmj and 124 hp MG's very respectable. I even got some pretty good performance out of some 147g GDHP's . Could I live without it ? Sure . But it is a darn good powder in my book.

17. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    In 9mm I haven't found anything I like better than Power Pistol.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    It's european so it has to be better. They are smarter than us after all:upeyes:

19. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Wisky, do you really think we have to go all the way to Europe to find someone smarter than... nope, nope, nope, I have to remember, it's the Christmas season... I'm going to be a good boy.

(I can't wait until the new year rolls around. :whistling:)

Jack