Glock Talk banner

The Two Most Interesting New Handguns at SHOT Show This Year

12K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  March817 
#1 · (Edited)
And nope, it's not a single stack, pocket-size 9mm Glock to compete with the Shield, XDs, etc. like the buying public has been clamoring for for years. Believe it or not the two most innovative handguns are coming from Remington & Arsenal.

First up is the Remington R51 which is going to be a 9mm version of an old (early 1900's) but innovative even by today's standards action in a compact and well thought out package. Retail price will be below $400 and they claim it will be in dealers February 1st. You can bet your ass I'll have one of these sooner than later.

Up next is the Arsenal Strike One. This is a standard size frame handgun with lots of innovative designs and a few new patents. One design feature is the height of the slide over the frame is SUPER short. This coupled with an aggressive grip & standard size frame will make for a rapid shooter's wet dream due to the recoil mitigation it presents. It's been in production in various calibers for years now but never imported to the US. Arsenal claims we will see it in 9mm in this country this year. Price on this one is still not settled (sounds like sub $800) but assuming it's not too high I will own one of these also.

Neither of them is what I would consider very attractive or even aesthetically appealing until you dig into their design features. The beauty, much like my beloved Glock, is in the function.

Which brings me to my final point: As a self proclaimed Glock fanboi I'm saddened to report that with each passing year of Glock's inability to check the pulse of the consumer I'm an owner of more and more handguns by other manufacturers and becoming less and less of a Glock fanboi. Glock may have the lion's share of the market but their inability to adapt to the markets quickly (or at least at all) will be their eventual demise. Not a demise so much as eradicated from the face of the earth but they won't be the volume seller of handguns unless something changes at the corporate level. Market share is going to competition year after year of them not bothering to offer what it is the buying masses are flocking to in record numbers. It should be no surprise that the conceal carry crowd is growing at quickening rates and if Glock still thinks they're G17 (or even G19 these days) is the perfect carry weapon then they're more out of touch with reality than I thought. Their release of a single-stack .380 (Glock 42) to compete with the likes of the LCP and other 'pocket' 380's tells me they agree with this at least in part. Time to wake up Glock, your competitors are beating you at your own innovation game.

See less See more
#28 ·
I agree. I'm not brand loyal, so I see no reason to wait for Glock when there are already so many great carry option out there from other manufactures.
It's funny that people called me a fanboi because, at the time, Glock was the best for what I needed. Now-a-days there are other 'bests' and people are coming around to see that I'm loyal to whatever is the best value that fits my needs.

#29 ·
Both are interesting. I'd beta test the Remington this year, but no way in hell am I going to beta test something from the motherland of customer satisfaction.

#30 ·
Like many others, the Remington has piqued my interest, and if I can get ahold of one, I will most likely buy it. The Arsenal, on the other hand, really is not my cup of tea, but I can see the benefits of the design.

#31 ·
South Carolina.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
If the company is able to make the gun entirely in the US, offering an aluminum frame and a steel slide with sweeping curves and early 20th century lines ... and sell it for under $400 .... that will be very impressive, indeed.

Reading about the 10 pre-production pistols tested by authors at the range, and how the functioning issues encountered were all able to be resolved with light cleaning & lubrication, I'd like to see some further testing done before I'd have any interest in adding yet another compact 9 to my retirement CCW collection.

If this new pistol is ammo sensitive (power levels and/or bullet shape) or cleanliness/lube sensitive, there are any number of other compact 9's available that are more forgiving of such influences.

Granted, it does have some 1920's & 30's nostalgic eye appeal for folks who enjoy retro-style pistols of yesteryear.

#32 ·
The problem with Remington is that they are owned by Cerberus, the same corp. that owns and drove Marlin into the ground. As well, go over to the Rem. Forum and you'll find no few want a new Rem. rifle, especially a .22 LR, as the quality is so bad. I have a wait & see approach here.

#34 ·
The problem with Remington is that they are owned by Cerberus, the same corp. that owns and drove Marlin into the ground. As well, go over to the Rem. Forum and you'll find no few want a new Rem. rifle, especially a .22 LR, as the quality is so bad. I have a wait & see approach here.
Yep. Cerberus destroyed Marlin. All the beautiful old Marlins that were at their old HQ looted by the fatheads. You could not give me a Remington rifle for my own use. The only Remmy I would buy would be an older 700.

#35 · (Edited)
I'm still very happy with Glock as my main handgun platform. I am glad to see a slim 9mm with a decent trigger to give the Shield some competition. The Arsenal also looks interesting, but after the Caracal debacle I'm pretty skeptical. Looks like the Arsenal has a nonstandard, and crappy, rear sight just like the Caracal did. That alone is a deal breaker for me.

#38 · (Edited)
The R51.... Sexiness personified!!:cool:

Psssssst don't look now, but the Arsenal Strike-Uno is a dressed up, beefed up, priced up Caracal:whistling:... Look at it's design shape and features.... (Minus the "innovative" barrel link-up function) I owned a Caracal F & C.... Good shooters, but got out during the cash and dash refund offer Caracal offered. If these are not imported in the $400~$550 range.... Fughetta Boutit!!!

#39 ·
The R51.... Sexiness personified!!:cool:

Psssssst don't look now, but the Arsenal Strike-Uno is a dressed up, beefed up, priced up Caracal:whistling:... Look at it's design shape and features.... (Minus the "innovative" barrel link-up function) I owned a Caracal F & C.... Good shooters, but got out during the cash and dash refund offer Caracal offered. If these are not imported in the $400~$550 range.... Fughetta Boutit!!!
It does look a lot like the Caracal...

#41 ·
Uhm...That "Ruger" R51 says REMINGTON on the side of it.....

As for the "StrikeOne", I'm not sure what it's going to do that a G-17 or an XD isn't, except cost almost twice as much.....
Don't worry, Ruger will have a copy of the R51 out next year.

#42 ·
I totally agree with this. I still love my Glocks. I have owned 9 of them and currently have a 19 and 26. They were my carry pistols for years, bigger and smaller. I NEVER thought this would happen, However, I have changed my 2 main carry guns away from Glock. My larger carry gun is now an H&K 45C, and my smaller carry gun is now a Kahr PM9. Although, I still carry my Glocks sometimes. They will never be retired! I would love a "Shieldish" Glock, but Gaston has never cared about what anyone else thought. He won't be around forever, even though he plans to live to 125 years old. When he does lose control maybe lots of us Glock fans will get some of the variety we have wanted for SO long!
Similar situation. Down to just a G20 and a G26 myself.

#43 ·
Can't wait for the Remington to become readily available. Not going to make the mistake I did on the XDs just to have one early. Of course I loved my XDs until Springfield screwed it up. :upeyes:

As for that other thing... saying it has a low bore axis, then comparing it (pictorially) to a .... Sig ..... :rofl: :rofl:

GLOCK and M&P both have pretty low bore axis, so wonder how much lower it will be in that comparison.

#45 ·
For those questioning the height over bore as compared to other popular similar size handguns:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOirbcsCQ1o&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Strike One comparative high speed video - YouTube[/ame]

#46 ·
Can't wait for the Remington to become readily available. Not going to make the mistake I did on the XDs just to have one early. Of course I loved my XDs until Springfield screwed it up. :upeyes:

As for that other thing... saying it has a low bore axis, then comparing it (pictorially) to a .... Sig ..... :rofl: :rofl:

GLOCK and M&P both have pretty low bore axis, so wonder how much lower it will be in that comparison.

Perhaps they compared it to a Sig because it will be priced competitively to Sig all- metal pistols. Maybe they don't see the major poly-guns as any competition to their new fangled pistols.

#47 ·
For those questioning the height over bore as compared to other popular similar size handguns:
Strike One comparative high speed video - YouTube

What's with the spooky music? I'm wondering how you can possibly maintain the exact same grip on every gun to measure such small changes in angle. Not saying it's a deliberate mis-interpretation but the angles measured are so close that you'd think the smallest change in grip would affect the results.

#48 ·
What's with the spooky music? I'm wondering how you can possibly maintain the exact same grip on every gun to measure such small changes in angle. Not saying it's a deliberate mis-interpretation but the angles measured are so close that you'd think the smallest change in grip would affect the results.
I brought up this same point w/my buddy along w/the Mr Rodgers sweater sleeves. If it was my firearm I was marketing I would limp wrist every other gun & then apply the locked out wrists of Odin when demonstrating my firearm. Not saying that's what they did, just pointing out how unscientific the 'test' is as there are too many potential variables when there should be only one: height over bore. Regardless of that fact we can extrapolate that the actual height over bore is likely accurate enough for our consumption & conversation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.