close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The truth about the Capital atheists dont want us to know.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by FCoulter, Aug 18, 2012.

1. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM

2. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    So are you saying he is wrong? If so, provide proof before laughing please.

3. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Barton_(author)

Interesting. So, how much of Mr. Barton do you subscribe to? Do you think the First Amendment should be abolished also?

4. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    So, did you watch the video? Do you disagree with what is said in the video?
    Or do you just wish to debate something you know nothing about as usual?

5. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    I am asking a honest question about the maker of this film, who believes that there should be no seperation between church and state and essentially no First Amendment religious freedoms.

Do, you, like him, believe this?

6. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    Well I believe in the first amendment, however this thread is about the video posted.

Do you object to anything said within the video?

If so, lets discuss your objection.

7. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    How can atheists not want us to know something that's common knowledge?

You're seriously giving atheists way too much credit.

8. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Watched it. I very much believe in the seperation between church and state as set forth in the First Amendment. When government puts itself in a position support a religion in state supported fashion we are in the territory of Revelation 13-11-12, "Then I saw a second beast, coming out of the earth. <sup class="crossreference" value='(X)'></sup> It had two horns like a lamb, but it spoke like a dragon. <sup class="crossreference" value='(Y)'></sup> <sup class="versenum">12 </sup>It exercised all the authority <sup class="crossreference" value='(Z)'></sup> of the first beast on its behalf, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AA)'></sup> and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, <sup class="crossreference" value='(AB)'></sup> whose fatal wound had been healed."

9. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    I am amazed to find out that the vast majority of government was Christian from the time it even got brought over by the great discover(er) of America, Cris. Columbus(though I think he was representing the Catholic Kings-still Christian). And to find out that it actually influenced the way government ran, is astonishing. Can you imagine how difficult it must have been for the founders of this great country to separate Church and State? They could not have gotten away with printing our 1st coin w/o IN GOD WE TRUST on it. I'm surprised they let that heathen, Thomas Payne, hang around (he was lucky there was no internet around in those days, or he might have been hanging around from a tree.

10. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

Mar 22, 2004
    That Barton misrepresents facts has been well documented. One of the best documented is the one he starts off with here, that the US Congress published the first edition of the Bible in the United States. When he opens with a lie that blatant, what would be the point of addressing the rest of his falsehoods? If you believe he brings out any valid historical facts that are not already widely recognized, why don't you share them?

11. lawman_77008

lawman_77008 JBT

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    I watched the video. My impression was "So what". Was the purpose of that video to convince viewers that America is a christian nation and argue against the separation of church & state? If so it failed miserably. The only "facts" I gathered from the video was that there were some really superstitious folks 236 years ago and thankfully we've progressed from believing in silly things like talking snakes and invisible men in the sky. And thankfully those men didn't allow their silly superstions to ruin our country's government before it even started.

12. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    So let's look at what we've got here...

A Bible printed at the direction of Congress, with Congress recommending THAT VERSION of the Bible to the inhabitants of the states. It's clearly unconstitutional, but why wasn't it tested in court? Simply because no atheist would want to become an outcast of society at that time. Remember that they were less than a century away from the witch trials where people were tortured to death for mere SUSPICION of religious deviance.

So the video shows us one violation of the constitution after another, proving that the religionists will grab for all they can get if you give them a chance.

Now there is a long world history of governments finding religion a convenience to keep the population in line, so I guess you can make a utilitarian argument for it, but that doesn't mean that it is the best way.

Religion does have a past in America, but it is a dark one. Feeling justified by their personal religions, Congress allowed slavery and tried to tear Native Americans away from their own religion. Later on, religious people in office banned birth control, banned Sunday store openings, closed dance halls, kept individuals out of public office because of religion, imposed temperance, etc. It's said that &#8220;the price of freedom is eternal vigilance,&#8221; and unless we remain vigilant with regards to religious intrusion, it will take over.

13. Animal Mother

Mar 22, 2004
    Actually, it's because the Bible wasn't printed at the direction of Congress. Nor did Congress finance the printing or call for the Bible in general or Aitken's Bible specifically to be used in schools, those are more of Barton's misrepresentations.

14. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    Hmmm... How about the story of printing Bibles for the Indians? Government expense?

15. Animal Mother

Mar 22, 2004
    Which story? Printing 20,000 Bibles for distribution to the Indians? Didn't happen. That Jefferson created the Jefferson Bible as a tool for evangelizing to the Indians? Also false. That Jefferson sent missionaries to evangelize the Indians? Not true either. In fact, the Indians Barton mentions in this video had already been Christians for over a century at the point that the treaty was signed and they were the ones who requested the religious provisions.

16. Animal Mother

Mar 22, 2004