close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

THE survival skill, brewing

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by USMC_G19, Nov 15, 2012.

1. auto-5

auto-5
    Expand Collapse

I love home brewing but you can make some real crap if you don't have recipes. If you want something to stockpile in case SHTF think about putting away light dried malt extract (DME). As long as you vacume pack it it will last forever.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FH Alum

FH Alum
    Expand Collapse

If it truly hit the fan 'shine can be used as fuel. Beer? not so much.

That being said, brewing is fun but you are doing it as a hobby not to save $$. I have made some good stuff and other batches that would kill a coyote. I have had many batches die from contamination so I tend to go operating room clean when brewing. Hard to do when there is limited fuel, water.

Papazians book Joy of Homebrewing is a good start.

Just like reloading read the manual first then buy your equipment.

Stay away from the all in one kits or the plastic barrel kit they used to sell at Costco. yes it brews beer but it does not really allow flexibility.

Oh and here in the PNW hops make a really cool trellis plant, half the homes around here have hops growing on arbors.

3. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

People use Welchs to make wine. In fact there is a kit to do it.

http://gizmodo.com/5647605/turning-welchs-into-wine-in-48-hours

You can also buy grape concentrate and yeast at most brew supply stores. Makes about 5 gallons. I've done it. Not too bad

4. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk
    Expand Collapse

i wonder how it turns out? most wine i have tried tasted terrible. i have been told its the tannins in the grape skin that do it.

5. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon
    Expand Collapse
    "Cracker"

Not very good. When I was in high school, one of our science experiments was making wine from grape juice. Even the novelty of drinking wine during third hour of my junior year couldn't make this stuff palatable.

6. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk
    Expand Collapse

to bad. for some reason i like the idea of wine. but have yet to find one i can stand.