close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"The Road" is on netflix

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by mac66, Aug 31, 2013.

1. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

I just rented this and popped it in the BDP, I hope some of you didn't waste my dollar07. Here I go...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 20South

20South
    Expand Collapse

Didnt care for the book. Started the movie and it was worse.

3. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I read an interview with Cormack McCarthy, the books author. He wrote No Country for Old Men and a few other well known books. He certainly has a certain slant on things and one really needs to understand his writing style
    to get what he is saying. I watched No Country and thought "WTF?" It wasn't until I read the book that I understood what the movie was about.

He said the idea for "The Road" came when he was out walking with his young son. They had kind of a father-son conversation going about all kinds of things, why does this happen?; what's that? He said he wondered what the conversation would be like if you were in the most dire circumstances and had to convey all your knowledge to someone in a short time and protect them at the same time. How do you explain hope? How you you explain God, good and evil etc?

Not to make too much out of it but the movie IMO isn't about surviving, it's about living life.

#23 mac66, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. RustyDaleShackleford

RustyDaleShackleford
    Expand Collapse
    Giblet Head

I'm pretty sure he had it before that, because we see him holding it in a flashback. He shows his wife they're down to two rounds, and she gets depressed and says they "should have done it" (kill themselves) when there were enough bullets left.

I watched a little of it again yesterday, and it is so horribly depressing...

5. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Too bad they didn't...at least the suffering of watching it would have been over quickly.

6. wingryder

wingryder
    Expand Collapse

I watched it last night as well. Meh, I thought it was going to be a great survival story... I don't think it was very accurate, several points bothered me.

1. The wife just left? She went off to die? Just doesn't seem realistic to me.

2. As weak and unprepared as these people seemed to be mentally and physically, I don't think they would have made it to the surviving 1%. I don't think you would make it 10+ years if you are putting a gun in your mouth every day. Too fatalistic.

3. They discover a cache of food in a bunker. People with a dog come and go. Then they just leave. Seems to me that if the people with the dog had wanted the bunker, they would have been dead right then and there. Once they left, I would either say they were setting a trap, staging an ambush OR they didn't detect you were there.... but why leave?

4. I don't get why the couple w/ kids at the end were following the boy and his dad. Seems like they weren't in much of a position to take care of the kid either.

5. Like Dalton said, what caused this apocalypse? Where were they going? What was the purpose of this story?

Yea, I've got lots of other issues to, but that's all I feel like typing it. Over all, I wasn't wow'ed by it... disappointed actually, it was a depressing movie with very little plot, no character arch and really no act structure. It started in the middle and ended in the middle. No emotional highs and lows... only depressing suicidal lows. I don't even get the purpose of telling a story that goes nowhere with no likeable characters.

7. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

You have to kinda understand the writing style of the author to get the point to some degree. It is not a "survival" story it is a story about life in general. Basically a metaphor.

#27 mac66, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  8. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

I didn't read the book. I wonder whether the movie makers and casting compromised the story. Did the book make the kid out to be as pathetic as the movie with the whole "papa" whining? I know often times the movies really don't do the books justice - e.g., Jack Reacher.

9. wingryder

wingryder
    Expand Collapse

So, I guess they should have kept it as a book. Sometimes a great book doesn't transfer well to the big screen.

EDIT: Oops, same reply as jdavionic. Great minds, I guess. :whistling:

#29 wingryder, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. JLM63

JLM63
    Expand Collapse

All I got out of it was - I need to stock more ammo! :)

11. wingryder

wingryder
    Expand Collapse

:rofl::rofl::rofl: At least one round for each member of your family. and maybe a couple for warning shots here and there.

#31 wingryder, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  12. pmwglock19

pmwglock19
    Expand Collapse

What about the ending showing the credits and you hear kids playing, someone cutting grass. What was that suppose to mean, it was a dream?

13. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

A dream? No, just a movie. Honestly never noticed that in the credits. Guess my hearing is so bad I couldn't hear it.

14. MikeLadner

MikeLadner
    Expand Collapse
    DILLIGAFF?

The book was lackluster... the movie was much, much worse. I kept hoping the script would have altered the storyline much more, and that the kid would have died.