close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"The Road" is on netflix

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by mac66, Aug 31, 2013.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Read the book, saw the movie and watched it again last night on netflix instant. Pretty depressing movie but interesting from a survival standpoint.

2. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

Feb 6, 2012
    middle of PRK
    thanks, they have it on Amazon Prime

will check it out

3. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I read the book and watched the movie 3 or 4 times. I know the author was trying to portray the son as an innocent. This said if this was the real world the father did the son no favors. What they didnt show in the movie was the next day "the veteran" came to the conclusion the kid was a whiny b**** and dumped him :supergrin:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. SKELVIS

SKELVIS

Sep 26, 2005
    Good movie and I have to agree very depressing.

5. Stupid

Stupid

Oct 26, 2005
    The Road is, in essence, about two mentally challenged humanoids looking for the fastest way to die on the road. Normal human watching this would feel their intelligence being drained as the movies goes along.

There are a few good points. The depiction of the end of the world looks quite real. For example, people resorting to cannibalism when food gets really scarce, is very accurate. History has showed us that many times.

However, the bad points overwhelm the good ones.

What's the point of walking down the road? Walking down the main road may be faster to reach their imagined destination but it's also faster to encounter cannibals who apparently have both guns and cars. No sane person, except for when they are from Hollywood, would go on a trip with nothing to defend themselves or no food to sustain the trip while with cannibals roaming around. That's suicidal.

The portrait of the two main characters is NOT correct unless they are mentally challenged because anybody, even he or she has no idea how to survive, after the first few weeks or so on the road and if not dead, would pick up really quickly. Things like how to make weapons (No bullets? Human ingenuity should have helped them to develop other weapons such as knives, slingshots, bows and spears), how not to travel without enough food or protection, how to avoid the main road, how to be quiet and invisible, and how NOT to idiotically abandon the underground bunker full of food and supplies.

However, it is conceivable that they have already exhausted their local resource. It's a die-die situation if they don't go on this trip. Even so, it should have been planed way ahead of time BEFORE they had exhausted their local resource so that they could use some of the local resource (food, water and weapons) to support their expedition. Human is a kind of animal that knows how to plan, learn, and MAKE TOOLS.

The proper way to do this is NOT to take a long trip but many short ones, frog leaping forward. For example, he goes from location B to C, then leave the kid to guard the supplies while he goes back to B to move the rest of supplies to C. The key is that one must always make sure he has adequate supplies to his livelihood. When guarding the supplies, don't stay with the supplies! Hide them, then hide himself somewhere else but close enough so that he can watch the supplies from a distance.

Those, who don't know how to plan or learn, don't survive any longer than a few weeks to a few months. One starving day would have taught them very quickly even if they are a little slow at the beginning.

Finally, the two pushing a shopping cart is really laughable. Its wheels would have fallen off after a mile on the bumpy road.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I watched the movie when it first came out and was disappointed. Okay, I thought it just sucked.

So I watched it again...thinking I was being overly critical. Nope, it still sucks. The pair are just pathetic. Yes, it would be very difficult to survive. But geez, the kid is absolutely worthless. That kid would have been targeted in a perfect world...let alone a survival situation. And the father roaming about in his POS shopping cart for years & years with his one revolver and X number of rounds. I expect he would have fallen rather quickly in a real situation.

No, I wasn't expecting Rambo IV. However it would be nice to see how the more innovative, prepared, and mentally strong individuals survive such a situation. Instead, the MSM seems to pick the extremes. Either you get some reality show with nutjobs building a castle and catapults or you get some sappy human interest story with a pansy and his little pansy son roaming a scorched earth.

7. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    As much as I've tried I just can't follow this movie.
    What caused the shtf in the beginning of the movie?

8. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I don't think they ever say definitively. In the beginning, they state that it started with bright flashes that were followed by a series of concusions.

9. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Most likely a nuclear holocaust. Which is odd, because you'd think if the wildlife was contaminated to be in that ****ty state that its in, the people would be poisoned as well.

Maybe I'm just not as Mad Max as the rest of you, but I found it to be a decent flick. Sure, they couldn't somersault through the air air hack off limbs with a fancy knife, but this wasn't some sci-fi flick. It was just a gritty survival story about the dehumanization of the human race in the wake of such an event.

10. pmwglock19

pmwglock19

Oct 10, 2008
    If my memory serves me right, he found the revolver in the barn by the dead hanging person. That kid was a real POA and was willing to give away food. Nice thought, but not reality, in my opinion.

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
  12. KingWalleye

KingWalleye

Jan 6, 2011
    The book was great. One of my all time favorites.

The movie sucked pretty bad.

13. Stupid

Stupid

Oct 26, 2005
    Really? I had big problem following it. I gave up after about 20 pages. Slow and uninspiring.

14. sideseal

sideseal

Mar 22, 2009
    Ft. Worth, TX
    No, the author never says what happened.

15. OldSchool64

OldSchool64 Nice Guy, but - someones pain in the...

Sep 5, 2010
    I've been getting some good tips for movies to watch

(not sure 'bout this one yet?)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  16. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    Yes...perhaps the most annoying and most repeated line in the movie.

17. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    Neither the book nor the movie ever says what caused the problem but it is described and shown in the movie as ash and dust covering everything and killing the trees and just about all the life. Kind of makes me think that it was volcanoes, earthquakes, earth changes type of stuff.

I think one has to look beyond the technical aspects of a movie like this and watch it for what meaning you can get out of it. When it first came out I wrote that I thought that "the road" was intended to be be metaphor for life. We are born and take the journey down the road knowing that we are going to die in the end, so what's the point? There are hardships and dangers along the way. Some people give up and die. Some keep going and try to survive solely on the hope that their lives mean something. Then there is the struggle of good and evil, the "carrying the fire" thing etc etc. I think that's why the author never said what caused the problem. It is immaterial to the story and the message he is trying to convey.

18. pmwglock19

pmwglock19

Oct 10, 2008
    Mac66, that is an interesting take on the movie.