close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The real truth about NYPD stops & frisks

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sam Spade, Mar 25, 2010.

1. ctaggart

ctaggart

Dec 4, 2007
    Yes, it truly is. Stop and frisks do seem to be working in NYC. I don't even pay attention to the naysayers anymore, they just like to complain about the Police. The Police write traffic tickets..whaaa:crying: The Police arrest innocent citizens carrying machine guns on stop and frisks..whaaa:crying:

They'll always cry. Keep up the good work NYPD.

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

Jan 25, 2007
    in a desert
    sam spade if it is that good of turn around, than i must have done my math wrong .. i got a much lower number,

but if its 1-8 than that is okay ..

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    You probably looked only at the weapons stuff in the quote. The article's 3 pages long, and the overall numbers are on page 3.

4. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

Jan 15, 2010
    PNW
    Running the city like a police state will substantially reduce crime. There is little doubt about that. However, just because something reduces crime doesn't mean that it is acceptable. I also think that the dramatic reduction in crime is not all due to the aggressive policing that started under Giuliani. In that same time period there was a dramatic reduction in crime in virtually every part of the country for many reasons. There is little doubt that there would have still been a reduction in crime without those policies. It just wouldn't have been as significant.

I think New York City would have been a better off empowering citizens to make the city a hostile place for criminals rather than the police. It was right to step up enforcement of minor crimes and aggressively prosecuting criminals but I think it crosses the line when you start stopping people and frisking them because the look suspicious.

Clearly New York City could benefit greatly from more liberal firearms regulations. It's always been a great irony that the places in this country that you are most likely going to need a gun won't allow them.

5. Sam Spade

May 4, 2003
    Wait, what? (Sorry, tribute to another thread here on page 1.)

Would you care to expand on that? If police aren't to stop people who look suspicious, who are they supposed to stop? This ain't the TSA...

6. I appreciate the service you perform, thank you sir. However, you come off as a swaggering hard-A cop with the "I'm the LAW" attitude, which begs the question, are you a public servant or part of the problem.

7. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Exactly....police do not have to wait for the crime to occur. Many times you find the activity just by having an observant officer who realizes something is not right.

8. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

Jan 15, 2010
    PNW
    They are supposed to stop people that have committed a crime of some sort. Looking suspicious is not a crime and could never be a crime because it is too subjective.

9. Sam Spade

May 4, 2003
    Thanks for the explanation. I'll just say that your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Consitution's.

10. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY

I, sir, am retired and possessive of a low tolerance for ignorant blow-hole internet commandos who defame my department without any basis of fact. (Not referring to ddbtoth with that comment by the way.)

:wavey:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  11. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY

Yet another expert on Terry Stops.:rofl:

12. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Also....the arrest/citation percentage is not the 'success percentage'. The majority of problems/criminal acts are solved simply by the presence of the officer. Many contacts that could result in an arrest are routinely handled by other means.

13. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA
    Maybe it would help you if you knew what "stop and frisk" is.
    Start with this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio

Then go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_frisk

You should notice that this has NOTHING to do with treating "law abiding citizens" like criminals.

14. SBroadwell

SBroadwell

Dec 31, 2008
    Jefferson, GA
    Looks to me like the NYPD is just doing good, proactive police work.

15. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    That is an impossible task until LE is equipped with crystal balls.

To stop someone, as in a 'stop and frisk', you need articulatable facts which would lead a person to believe it is reasonable the person is committing, has committed or is about to commit a crime.

A perfect example is finding someone near the rear door of a closed business at 2am. Has the person committed a crime that is obvious to the officer? No. However, it is reasonable to believe that due to the time, place, and no obvious explanation for the activities there may be criminal activity afoot. When an officer encounters a situation like that they must conduct an investigation to determine the facts.

16. Sam Spade

May 4, 2003
    True.

But when you look at it over a sufficiently large number of stops (and I think 500,000+ qualifies as "large"), you get an idea as to whether the cops are profiling people (bad) or profiling behavior (good).

17. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Those 500,000 stops also lead to yet another category of crime that is not quantifiable. The number of crimes averted by the interaction of investigators with subjects just to let them know we are around and watching them. Maybe the stop doesn't develop into an arrest; but by the same token maybe it prevents a crime.

18. Sam Spade

May 4, 2003
    And more---the information about the hinky guy on the street corner gives investigators a starting point when a crime is discovered after the fact.

19. Jester249

Jester249 W.W.P.D.?

Jun 15, 2001
    South East USA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_frisk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_v._Ohio

Knowing what you are talking about give you credibility.....