close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The proper way to remove M&P thumb safety

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by M&P Shooter, Jun 30, 2012.

1. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Phila, PA
    Remove rear pin with punch, use punch to gently pry up sear housing 3/4 out. Now hold housing and pull trigger and sear housing will rise right up. Remove thumb safety unit and install frame plugs. S&W will give you the plugs free if you call like I did and many others. Now here's where a lot of people make the mistake. On the left side of sear housing there is a small metal insert and spring that is only to hold thumb safety up and down in place. Remove it or you will go crazy trying to fit sear housing back in frame with plugs installed.

In this photo you will see the small metal piece and spring I spoke about.
    [​IMG]

Here's my M&P with thumb safety removed and frame plugs installed.

[​IMG]

Here is the link to S&W, their customer service will send plugs out free and no shipping charge if you tell them you removed safety because it was to easy to move up and down as it really is IMO.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757826_-1_757814_757812_image

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I always thought the safety was too easy to move to but after having one now I think it's fine. After all this is not a cocked-and-locked gun. The M&P without safety is perfectly safe and it's the same trigger as the models WITH the safety.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

3. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Phila, PA
    If you want it a little stiffer in up or down position you can replace the spring with a slightly longer spring from a Home Depot variety pack of springs in the hardware section or a Harbor Freight store.

4. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    You can also tighten up the safety by modifying the notches so that the detent goes into them a little more.

I'll take your safety if you don't want it! :whistling:

5. Good info and good pics. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

However I feel the best way to remove it is to buy the models that don't have it :supergrin:

6. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

Jun 30, 2006
    I've got to do something. My safety is just too loose.