close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Possibility of Extra terrestrial life?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Armchair Commando, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

listen, I like your POV on somethings, it is often "outside the box" but you have to drop this strange belief(almost an odd crusade) of yours that there are no mathematicians here...and lets be honest, by your own admission, you wouldnt understand that math anyways.

Devildog has a PhD from a very prestigious school in Physics. I have an undergrad in physics and a graduate degree in mathematics (specializing in statistical modeling)from not so prestigious schools. There are many others here as well with engineering and science heavy educations.

If I asked you to do a Lorentz transformation between two points in 4 positions in space-time, you couldnt. Would "showing you the math" that you wouldnt understand change a laymans understanding of what that means?...or do you simply not believe people know what they are talking about?

BTW, you are flat out wrong. YOU may have never seen me post "the math" but I have plenty of times. Plenty of times and no one here who can do the math has ever had a problem with it, just you, who cant do that math.

2. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

If he is all knowing he doesn't need a plan B.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

On earth there are an estimated 8 million different species.

Of those eight million, only ONE has advanced to the point of managing travel beyond that planet's atmosphere and to it's moon, or to send probes to other planets.

The conditions for life as we know it on earth...it's a very thin slice of statistical odds that got this planet where we are (or God created it :))...when we look at these probabilities (earth supporting life * intelligent life * ability to gain interstellar travel) the odds are really really very slim that there are other organisms out there,

but, with something in the region of ....10^22 or 10^23 planets in the known universe, holy crap, the odds even out a bit on the side of other life being out there.

4. Rabbi

BTW, for some math in this thread, I really think the Drake Equation shows that statistical probability rather well.

If you start pluging things in, there is an overlap between the chances of life and some statistical models of what it takes for life to form. To be blunt, if you have the building blocks for life, there is a mathematical model for how many "tries" it would take to produce life. If you look at the number of places, in some cosmological models, that this could happen, that math could over lap.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  5. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

[​IMG]

6. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I hope so. Otherwise I've cranked out all that ammo for nothing but zombies, and we know how well it works on those.

7. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

“If it turns out that there is a God...the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever.”
    ― Woody Allen

8. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Ah yes, the humanists are so witty.

Seriously, do you admire a man who seduced his underage step-daughter?

Regards,
    Comrade Happyguy :)

9. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Mankind has to place the blame somewhere.

10. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Ha ha you are witty too. Which flawed comedians do you admire? Oh that's right, you have no sense of humor. That must be why you are such a happy guy.

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Years ago a car dealer in Minneapolis advertised on TV that "they lose a little money on every car but they make it up in volume". (woody Harrier "Your cars guardian angel")

12. Rabbi

If you think "holdback" is the "one word" in this issue, you dont know this issue....hell for one thing (among many) "holdback" might not even be there for a particular deal.

13. bobtheelf

bobtheelf

And he has crazy ass hair, too.
    [​IMG]

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Prove it. Where is the math? I demands to see it. :tongueout:

15. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

They say there are more stars, planets, and galaxies, than grains of sand on earth. It would be pretty arrogant of us, to believe we are the only grain of sand with life on it.

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Incirlik AB 73 - 75

I have a friend who absolutely believes in aliens. He use to be married to her.

17. Rabbi

Yeah, because being real high speed at "poker math" makes you ready for differential equations and the art of the car deal :rofl:

(sorry low hanging fruit, again, I often like Oliesrevenge but his take on math and his abilities on it are...off.)

18. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

19. engineer151515

engineer151515

Wouldn't matter. NASA can declare a discovery and the same people who believe the Moon landings were faked would cry "fraud"!

Maybe NASA already found it

http://www.space.com/18565-mars-rover-curiosity-discovery-mystery.html

I'm thinking they found the garbage pile the aliens left when they decided to move away from that low rent planet next door.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  20. Rabbi

BTW Ollie, you want some math.

A range between 10^80 and 10^83

That functionally represents the amount of atoms in the Universe. No matter how big and scary a number that is, it is still a number. A number that we can extrapolate a lot of other math from.

When you start to observe the universe and start plugging the numbers we have into a model, you start to learn things about the universe. Yes, we dont know a lot of things and many of the things we do know exist within a range, not an absolute answer(as we know it anyways) but the model we have built for the universe keeps proving right. The data points we discover keep "fitting" into that model. (that means the predictive nature of the model is generally correct...and points us in directions)

This is that model (in one way)

[​IMG]

Since you wanted math (so you could see for yourself) can you tell me what this says about a Higgs?

Can you tell me what this is called?

To be honest, this is Devildog math, not my field but I can grind may way through it, slowly and perhaps with a lifeline.

What the hell are you going to do with it?