close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Panic of 2013 Ends Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Incrementalism. Slippery slope.

2. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Feb 14, 2010
    Boonies New Mexico
    IF it settles back down. It may be like sugar years ago. Sugar went up so everything that had sugar in it went up. Sugar went down and all the sugar related products stayed high and still are.

3. First, it's not compromise when one side gives up nothing. Giving up a demand Is not giving up something.

Second, what does any of this have to do with SH or gun violence?
    Nothing.

To stop gun violence, you start with lenient judges and parole boards. No one should have a lengthy rap sheet.
    One violent strike and you're out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

My predictions for the recommendations to be made on tuesday:

Three things and all are for different purposes-

An assault weapons ban.... They will not pursue it with any vigor. It is only included to provoke the expected wailing and gnashing of teeth from gun owner and the NRA and then to be dropped as a show of compromise.

Ten round magazine restriction.... They will push for this one fairly hard, because they think they can sell it to the public as "reasonable" and because not going for it hard would be letting a good crisis go to waste. They honestly believe this might help.

Universal background checks..... This is the one they really want. There will be no compromise here. They want it and they are going to get it. It is backdoor registration because it will force a paper trail for every gun transfer going forward. Later they will find an excuse to push for centralizing all the data collected on the Form 4473. They want this for the future as a step towards disarming america. This will be part of the foundation laid down early that full registration will be built on.

There will be a couple of other things, better data sharing and collection for mental problems for example, but the meat of it is going to be the Universal background check.
    They may or may not get the mag restriction, but if they don't you can bet they will bring it to a vote and use a vote against the bill to microtarget electioneering to paint those opposed as being in the pocket of the NRA and more concerned with keeping HIGH CAPACITY ASSAULT MAGAZINES available than protecting your children. There are voters who will be swayed by that.

I saw earlier someone post that we "could not expect to come out of this unscathed" and that we should accept background checks as the price of not having an assault weapons ban. To that I say WTF did any responsible gun owner do wrong! Accept nothing. Fight for every inch of ground. Write your elected officials. Join NRA or GOA. Make a donation if already a member. Talk to family and friends to see if you can get them involved.

And remember....

A FREE PEOPLE CAN BE DISARMED IN THE FACE OF TYRANNY ONLY ONE TIME.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  5. fusegsp

fusegsp

Jan 5, 2009
    Iowa
    I exchanged a gun once. I bought a 50th anniversary Ruger single six that had a deep groove in the ejector rod shroud. They applied the finish over the defect and I didn't notice it when I bought it. I took it back and they exchanged it for another single six no questions asked.

6. Speaking of conspiracies and questionable activities of duly sworn LE officers, where's Hillary?

7. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Apr 25, 1999
    upper mid-west
    Are you a betting man? :whistling:

8. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Jul 20, 1999
    CT
    I've sold two rifles lately without a background check, one of them to someone I just met. We need to pick our battles, and there needs to be some compromising or we are going to end up losing badly. There is no need for a registry, there is no need for gov to know what we own or are trying to sell. A simple authorization and complete the sale.

If we don't come to an agreement we are going to look like a bunch of freaks that don't trust anyone and that don't care at all about all the innocent people murdered.

Don't agree with me, fine, I understand. But most of you guys aren't 10 miles away from sandy hook, a day don't know half the crap that we are dealing with here. I'm sorry, but this is going to be offered, and I think it's something to consider over the alternatives.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    The only alternatives to "nothing" that I'd consider would be the repeal of '86, '68, and '34.

10. :goodpost:

Whatever they do, I expect them to slip in a database keeping records of purchases. Be it by EO or sneaking it in another bill.

11. Glotin

Glotin

Aug 16, 2011
    See below. Also, I probably should have said misguided instead of stupid. I'm not implying that you are stupid.

12. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    Expect ATF undercover sting buys, just like the DEA does with drug dealers.

13. I would take that. I dont think there are going to be any significant changes.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    There's a lot of crap "all over the web". The latest thing today is that Walmart is no longer going to sell ammo.

I would hold off on the celebrations for at least bit longer.

15. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

I like the way you think.

I would be just as happy for the courts to one day discover that all of that legislation is incompatable with the phrase "shall not be infringed".

16. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I hope you are right OP, but I disagree. I predict Biden will "recommend" everything you mentioned, but will also include the AWB and 10rd magazine limits.

Not that the two latter recommendations have any chance of passing Congress. He just has nothing to lose by including those in his talking points.

17. rauldduke1979

rauldduke1979

Nov 9, 2008
    There are maybe 5 leading contenders for the 2016 dem nominations:

1. Hilldawg

2. Joe Biden

3. Corey Booker

4. Davel Patrick

5. NY Gov. Cumo

Basically, the last 2 weeks have taken Biden and Cumo out, completely.

Obama was able to downplay his anti-second amendment stance during the campaigns in 2008 and 2012 because he had rarely taken a public stance, one way or the other. His statements on gun control were mostly boilerplate.

But now Biden and Cumo cannot walk back their positions.m

Meaning Hilldawg can become Mrs. 2nd Ammendment in 2016.

Bill Clinton made a state about the AWB a few days ago.

Hilldawg gets to say "I don't agree with my husband on everything and I support the 2nd Ammendment." Now she's earned points with two demos; to women she's a strong career woman who won't play 2nd fiddle to her husband; to gun owners she's the "reasonable" candidate.

Does she support the 2nd Ammendment? Don't be silly. But that's politics.

18. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator
    Agreed, and when the above has been in effect for some time, anyone in possession of a gun not in the national database will be subjected to intense pressure and the presumption of guilt.

A very slippery slope indeed.

19. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Jan 7, 2002
    Canton Mi
    So, there will be another big push in the aftermarket to buy used guns. Because no tracking them.

Hate to say it. But, those of us who have pistols or CPL/CCW's are already on the list of having guns. If they want them. They know you have some. So, they will come with a warrent for firearms. Unless you can bury them in the yard two doors down. It won't help you at all if they are in your house.

At least that is my thought. I'm on the list , more then once.

20. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    I am more than happy for you to voluntarily submit to a background check for each private transfer you are involved in. I am ok for you to demand one from anyone you are selling to in a private transaction. I not not interested in doing that, I don't plan to sell any guns, but I might transfer them to my future heirs. If I were to sell a gun, I would probably require they show me a state DL and CHL as a substitute.

I might even be OK if your state passed a law requiring a background check for all transfers in your state, if your citizens are willing to throw their own rights under the bis of appeasement over something(Sandy Hook) that would have been prevented by said law.

I am not interested in a federal law requiring such. We don't want that here in Texas.