The "new and improved" duty belt picture thread!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by DaBigBR, Jul 18, 2006.

1. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Trust me, I'd go with a 6360 if I could, especially transporting inmates, but we're only allowed single-retention holsters. Stupid, I know.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I think the thumb drive has an attachment called the "chop block" for added retention.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I would definitely add everything I can to enhance security.

4. Metro566

Metro566 Gunfighter

For those of you who cross-draw carry your Taser...I implore you to consider weak-hand carry. We go through yearly force-on-force training here that highlights the weakness of crossdraw. For instance this year our UoF trainers gave us all a roleplay scenario where we respond to a "suspicious person" call which when you arrive, you find a guy working on a truck. During the course of the scenario he becomes aggravated to the point where everyone draws their Taser on him to give him commands. As you are giving commands, his partner runs out from behind cover and starts engaging you in a gunfight.

Every single person that crossdraw carried their Taser died in the scenario. I'm no expert and I don't claim to be, but I feel this could be in large part to a lack of pre-planning on their part. What would you do? Would you reholster the Taser and draw your gun? Those who did took 7-8 rounds before they could draw their gun. Those who simply dropped the Taser took 5-6 rounds before they could draw their gun.

Those of us who weak-side carried our Tasers only took 1 to 2 rounds before we were able to draw our firearm and engage the threat. There were some who "died" that weak carried also so I'm not saying it's the end all be all. I'm just saying it is my opinion you should re-consider your method of carrying. If you insist on crossdraw, please mentally rehearse this scenario and your response. Not knowing what you'll do will cause you to reholster your Taser which is a cluster****. Going over what you will do (ie dropping the Taser) beforehand will save you valuable time. The critics will say "what about sympathetic trigger pull"? What about it? If you deploy your Taser on accident while engaging a lethal threat, does it matter? I'm not saying gunfight the lethal threat and Taser the nonlethal :)

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Without having been there, I think that part of the solution is not spending a bunch of time pointing a Taser at somebody. I know that we have overdependence issues in my agency, to the point that I have seen people clear buildings with the damned thing. I am more and more of the opinion (and I am a Taser and Firearms instructor) that the Taser should generally be drawn and fired unless there is sufficient lethal cover and a plan. It simply does not offer enough benefit over other options to engage in a drawn out series of commands in a one-on-one scenario.

6. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

You know, I never thought about it that way. Even though I don't currently carry a taser (agency doesn't allow them), that's got me thinking now.

7. Metro566

Metro566 Gunfighter

I agree with you completely that there are cops out there becoming over-reliant on the Taser. So much so it can become an officer safety issue rather than an officer safety tool (ie the scenario you provided in clearing a building). However, I work alone with backup sometimes being 5-10minutes away all the way up to 45minutes away and sometimes I have to deploy the Taser in a one-on-one scenario (and have). I'm certainly not claiming weak-side carry is the ONLY way to do it...but I do urge my brothers and sisters to consider the tactical advantages and disadvantages of each.

I also am a huge proponent of the triple mag pouch, as I see many of you on here carry it. It is a blessing in disguise that we can carry another 15rds in the space previously occupied by two magazines. The "added weight" is a weak argument in my opinion.

Remember guys, every day you get ready for work, you're getting ready to go to war. Whether you think "it can't happen here" or not, you're gearing up to do battle. Keep that mindset at every call, every stop, and every shift.

Stay safe guys (and gals)

8. I agree with your point on the weak hand draw for Taser deployment and I do carry mine that way. I believe that Taser is now recommending weak hand draw for deployment as well. I've also been thinking about going to the Safariland 775 triple mag pouch, just haven't done it yet.

9. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I forgot to mention that the Force Science Institute folks are also recommending weak hand draw (not cross draw) following their analysis of the BART shooting.

10. deleted

#1330 Schaffer, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  11. I think this will be the final version for a while. Adding the taser required some adjustment and readjustment. I really like the Safariland Slimline mag pouch and wearing it on my gun side makes for some very quick and more natural feeling reloads, IMO. It also allowed me to keep my back clear and my light and radio in he same positions.

Now if the department will just get our 6360's out to us I can add my Surefire X300 to my G22...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367871480.938159.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

12. Here's mine.

Attached Files:

13. plp

plp

Wow, hats off to all of you and major props. I have a work belt for my trade, thankfully when in the vehicle I get to take mine off and set behind the seat. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to carry all that gear the entire shift. Mine weighs in right at 18 lbs., and after many years have trimmed it down to that, lots of stuff I carried in my 20's I consider unnecessary today. It is still in the vehicle, justifies a trip back to the truck should I need it rather than EDC for the weight advantage. Then again, I'm not a first responder and my time is not at the premium yours is.

The practical observation I've made (purely my own opinion) is the youngsters carry way too much gear, the old hands trim it down to the necessities. I know a game warden that keeps his duty belt to 6 lbs, no cuffs, about 20 zip ties in lieu of, and a 24 lb combo Camalbac/gear backpack. All the essentials (radio, weapon, mags, zip ties) on the belt, all the first aid/latex gloves/taser/backup/cell phone/H2O on the backpack.

He is 62, about 5'10', maybe 165 lbs max, can and does a 20 mile patrol, on average, daily.

#1333 plp, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  14. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Newbie question, so excuse me if it sounds well...newbish.
    I'm looking for a way to save some weight on my belt and maybe distribute it across the larger area of my body (my hips are hurting now).
    I carry the handcuffs, flashlight, OC, baton, radio, keys, Glock 22 and two magazines. Cheap agency issued belt.
    I was thinking about this belt:
    http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2828.php
    and some lightweight version of the handcuffs and baton.
    If there is any other trick that You care to share - I would be more than happy to learn that.
    I'm wearing the internal vest, so most of the suspender systems are not going to work.

15. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

That belt is what I am going to replace my worn out Accumold with.

These cuffs:

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum8968.php

This baton:

http://www.milestactical.com/ASPAI.html

16. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Thank You.
    Yeah, I can definitely save some weight on these items.
    I'm also thinking about Safariland Model 72 - double magazine pouch with handcuff holder.
    This way I may save the space on my belt (size 34) and just some weight as well (or so I'm assuming, since there will be no handcuffs pouch to deal with).

17. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

May be a good idea. Keep in mind it sticks out far and will cause the pouch to dip down over time.

18. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    CLM
    1. The JBT's

Not over a straight stick lol but that doesn't sound like an option up in canuckikstan. Nor is it lightweight!

I ordered one of their little pocket investigator 16" clip on ASPs for my sap pocket in case I leave my table leg in the car on a hot call amd need to whack the hell out of something/one.

19. Oh, true. I didn't even notice it was Nestor that you were replying to! Whenever Mrs. Lndshark and I are visiting her homeland, I see ASP's and Autolocks on everyone's belts. Good back scratchers they be!

No pics yet but I copied your set-up once again. Rocking the single open-top cuff case next to my belt buckle...suh-weet! Light, small, and easy to access. I'm keeping my second set on my vest, Cheeze-style. My back is happier, too.

Counting down the days 'till we switch to G-22's (not my first choice but better than the XD-Fouty. Already got my WML-compatible 6285 ready to rock!