close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The necessity of taking first aid classes

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by bdcochran, Apr 11, 2012.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Today, it happened unexpectedly. Al, age 90, fell off the exercycle next to me at the YMCA. He had lost consciousness and I caught him as he fell.

A quick evaluation that he was breathing and I went into action, directing multiple people to call 911 and others to lay him down on the floor.

The 5-6 minutes it took for the paramedics to arrive seemed like a half hour.

I gave the paramedics a detailed description of what Al had been doing and what I observed. Apparently, he had done this before.

I knew what to do because I am periodically retaking first aid and CPR classes.

I knew the lady on the third exercycle. She commented that she froze up because she didn't know what to do. Don't be that kind of person! Take the classes. The person you save may be a family member.:wavey:

2. Also take a First Aid for gunshot/trauma wounds class. The life you save may be your own. :cool:

3. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Word! Good save, my man. God bless ya for that. A CPR class is on my 'to do' list.

BTW, hat's off to the 90 year old working out at the gym, too.

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    That's one good thing I got out of four years as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

Lot of First Aid, both self-aid and buddy-aid. And Combat Lifesavers Courses.

Good on you for knowing what to do!

5. racerford

racerford

Apr 22, 2003
    DFW area
    I have taken several basic first aid courses over the years, including one for children when we were having a baby. Not much had changed over te years. Apparently I need to take a refresher again because a lot of things seemed to have changed in the last 5 years. Have they changed the position of any important organs?

I now understand I need to throw out all my alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, and the towelette versions as well. I should be carrying premixed soap (what kind of soap specifically? Lava, Ivory, Irish Spring, Dawn, Lye soap, Palmolive????) in an irrigation bottle.

Maybe I should take EMT training.

I believe taking first aid training is important. So is having supplies on hand. I know a number of people that are medically trained (nurses, doctors, EMTs, paramedics, dentists, etc) and I have more supplies and regularly carry more than any of the formally medically trained (more than a few basic classes) people I know.

6. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Feb 8, 2007
    Texas
    You are absolutely right. I got certified in Red Cross CPR last year and then early this year ended up using what I learned to help save my wife's life after she collapsed in our car with sudden cardiac death.

CPR/AED and the Red Cross First Aid course are all extremely valuable knowledge. It is not difficult to learn and there is plenty of repetition so you will remember it forever. All it takes is one Saturday for the CPR/AED course. I always thought it would be an honor to save a stranger's life. I never expected it would be a loved one. I am so glad I took the course.

Steve

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Just goes to show you it doesn't pay to work out.... ;)

8. Amen, brother!

I had a professor pass out on me while she was lecturing in front of 80 students. I rushed down there and had her laying properly while directing the rest of the class who got up to see what happened. She was resuscitated in short order but nobody knew what to do other than me who had the basic academy training on First Aid/CPR.

9. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    First aid skills are just as important as shooting skills.

10. Kieller

Kieller

May 18, 2007
    Kansas City
    Nice work BD. I'm also a firm believer in training and medical is one that should be on the forefront.

I am recertifying next week for CPR and basic first aid though my companies emergency response team. It's nice when its on the company dime :supergrin:

11. W.E.G.

W.E.G.

Sep 20, 2005
    all over Virginia
    I'm a strong advocate that people should take training (CPR, etc.)

But, let's look at the present case.
    Patient was unconscious, but breathing.
    I trust that everybody knows you don't do CPR on a patient who is breathing on his own.

The episode could have been any one of a multitude of things, to which the persons present could have offered no assistance other than to place the patient in a supine position, and call 911.

Unless you are a licensed paramedic, you are going to do little in a first aid situation other than:
    • call 911
    • perform CPR if the patient is not breathing, and has no pulse
    • apply direct pressure to bleeding
    • place patient in supine position
    • keep patient warm
    • cool patient if overheated
    • clear airway if obstructed

Fantastic scenarios of extreme measures in remote locations notwithstanding.

12. $20 says most people will use their first aid skills before they will use their shooting skills in real life.

13. Creatism

Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    As a paramedic I can honestly say I wish more people were like the op! Take the class, go over scenarios just like you do with your dry fire practice.
    In a CPR situation think about it like this. Basic BASIC CPR on a witnessed mi that is initiated with 1-2 min of the heart stoping has something like an 80% chance of walking out of the hospital. If you wait the 5-10 min for us to get there and figure out what's going on it can be 15+ min of no circulation. At that point the patents chances drop to 10% or worse.
    What I'm saying is YOU can make a huge difference in someone's life by doing something simple like CPR.

I hope this makes sense I just got off work and am still waking up!

Typed from my iPhone.

14. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Good catch. :wavey:

On the 'froze up' thing, exactly right; no substitute for training/conditioning/practice. There's an old saying along the lines of, "In an emergency, a person doesn't rise the level of their ability, they default to the level of their training."

There's no good substitute for actually 'doing' it - whatever "it" is; even if it's just a simulated, "going thru the motions" version of doing it. First-aid, shooting, changing a diaper, whatever - you don't want your first hands-on experience to be when things are critical or out of control.

15. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    You done good. 90 years old and on a bike? God bless him! As you pointed out, panic is a result of not knowing what to do. Thoroughly agree that CPR and first aid training should be high on everybody's list of things to do.

As a career ER/Trauma nurse, I can assure you that all bleeding stops...........eventually.

sdsnet, nice Bonanza!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  16. When you're right, bdcochran, you're right. I haven't renewed in... could it be fifteen years already?? I'll sign up to take that class again. Thanks for reminding me.

17. You can send me $20 anytime.. or for that matter about $120.

But over time, based on your $20 scenerio.. I am about even.

18. Military and police aren't part of the sample population because they are in the profession that uses weapons but for civilian folk who live the sheeple life or whatnot, it would be true.

19. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA

Your right I'd rather practice on co-workers(especially the ones I don't like)then family members,and get paid to do it.:whistling:

20. Kieller

Kieller

May 18, 2007
    Kansas City
    Bob's not breathing? shucks...

:supergrin: