close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Mighty Mosin-Nagant!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Joshua M. Smith, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith
    Expand Collapse
    Shootist

Hello,

I've not seen threads here recently on the Mosin-Nagant. They used to be here quite a bit.

After owning several different carbines, some black, some semi-black (a cherry Camp 45 comes to mind; got rid of it to a collector because I kept wanting to SHOOT it!), I have come back to the first rifle I owned, a Mosin-Nagant.

In Indiana, we cannot use rifle-caliber rifles for deer hunting, so I was raised mostly on slug guns and .22 rimfires. I always kept a shotgun around for defense.

Now, I've lived in the country for most of my 33 years. I was born in the country, and except for college, haven't left. I like stepping out the back door to shoot.

The Mosin-Nagant is capable, correctly set-up, of 1.5 to 1MOA groups, with sub-MOA groups not being uncommon.

I find it very efficient at knocking over whatever I need to knock over, and, having figured out "sticky bolt syndrome", I can work it as fast as a lefty can work a bolt action, and faster than I can work most bolt actions as, reaching over, I encounter a straight bolt instead of a bent bolt.

Though I prefer one handgun or another for home defense because it leaves one hand free, the Mosin-Nagant would be formidable, not for its rate of fire, but for its bayonet. I think anyone who has ever been in the martial arts (and most people who have not) can appreciate a long, pointy object on the end of a heavy wooden pole.

I do have plans to build a .223 precision bolt action that will match my Savage rimfire target/"squirrel sniper" rifle, and I will build a companion AR to the bolt rifle. However, the main battle rifle, I feel, will always have a place in my home, whether the rifle in question is a Mosin-Nagant, M1A or Garand, or even old Japanese Arisakas and German Mausers.

What say you? Do we still have folks here who enjoy old school, and utilize them for pest control purposes?

Josh

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jakebrake

jakebrake
    Expand Collapse
    cracker

as the proud papa pf a 91/30 and an m53, i love them! the "doom" sound alone is worth the price of admission and chiropractic care! ammunition is dirt cheap, the rifles are dirt cheap, they are just downright fun.

pest control? in my meighborhood. we have squirrels. that would be a bit of overkill.

bought an argentine mauser 7.65 for $125 with 50 rounds.

the old and cheap are way too much fun to pass up. now, do any of your arisakas have the crysanthimum (or however it's spelled)?

3. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

People don't post about Mosins here because this is the Black Rifle Forum, dedicated to the AR platform. However, there have been a few excellent threads about Mosins in the General Firearms Forum, and I'm sure that if you started a thread there (or got this one moved by the mods), you'd find that there are many who share your keen interest in that fine old warhorse.

#3 M&P15T, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  4. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Is this a joke?

The nagant is not a black rifle so it does not belong in this forum.

The idea of one for home defense is dumb. The idea of the bayonet for home defense is dumber still. Humanity has reached a new low.

And don't insult martial artists like this.

#4 WayaX, Apr 26, 2011
  5. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

Easy.....I'm sure it was just an over-sight.

Nothin' to get riled about.:supergrin:

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Repost in general firearms or the mil-surp page

7. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Even in general firearms the idea of a long bolt action rifle with bayonet attached is just stupid.

Threads can be moved, stupidity cannot.

8. MadMonkey

MadMonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Spershul Furces

[​IMG]

9. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

Oh for Chrisssake!:rofl::rofl:

10. DieselNut

DieselNut
    Expand Collapse

Ever wonder why you hardly see a mosin post on the black rifle forum? Maybe that's because its :offtopic:

I do like them though. Actually thinking about picking up 2 91/30s myself. Try it on the milsurp thread, you'd probably have better luck. :wavey:

11. raven11

raven11
    Expand Collapse

Fixed!

[​IMG]

12. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

The best part is that a thread posted incorrectly, raising the incredible ire of a poster or three, is getting the most and fastest replies of any thread in this forum in weeks!:rofl::rofl:

13. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

Dear Lord, please tell me this is a joke, right? I mean, this is just someone funnin' on Nutnfancy, right?:rofl:

14. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP
    Expand Collapse
    Inactive/Banned

Tell me about it. An hour ago it had 3 replies not it's over 12. What must we do for some excitement around here.

15. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

If one really wanted to get this joint hopping, you could start a thread about the most incredible new AR on the market. It would need to be described as the ultimate, the pinnacle of AR evolution, nay revoultion, and represent a new Gold Medal standard AR wise.

Then link a video about an AirSoft AR.:rofl:

#15 M&P15T, Apr 26, 2011
  16. raven11

raven11
    Expand Collapse

#16 raven11, Apr 26, 2011
  17. MadMonkey

MadMonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Spershul Furces

Not a black rifle?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okey doke...:embarassed:

#17 MadMonkey, Apr 26, 2011
  18. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith
    Expand Collapse
    Shootist

So your contention is that the Mosin-Nagant is somehow less effective than when it was introduced, or when it helped to turn the Nazis from Russia? If so, how?

As for it not being a black rifle, I can see your point. However, with all the modifications available, people make it into a black rifle, so I posted this here. Most C&R fora tend to focus on the history, not utility. It was a judgement call, and with Ruger and Savage making bolt-action black scout-type rifles now, I felt the posting in here to be justified.

Josh

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Wrong forum, horrible choice for HD, done.

20. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

Well any gun where you have to beat the bolt open "Like a Russian mail order bride" Isn't wurth spit! Hell my Mauser K98 runs like a well oiled stripper! And its an all "Black rifle"!:supergrin: