close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The Latest Wacker

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Ida81, Oct 8, 2012.

1. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Why wasn't he charged something along with armed robbery... displayed weapon and, demanded property? :dunno:

Course it is NEVER a good idea to treat those that make your food badly. Prime candidate to receive "special" sauce on his Big Mac. :whistling:

2. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    People don't comprehend the difference between Demanding Respect and Commanding Respect.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    I think I may head over to Beverly Hills, show my retirement credentials, and demand a free Aston Martin V12 Vanquish because I had just come from 23+ years of policing.

If I am going to go down in history as a whacker, I want to go all the way.

4. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    Good question. The article isn't clear, and I don't know FL law on robbery, but my guess is that he just showed it as part of the "proof" that he was a cop.

In other words, did he display the weapon in a threatening manner?

But this is just a guess.

5. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    What would be the purpose of displaying it (menacing) if not as a threat of force... even as slight as to elude he is a cop when he was not.

It is certainly implied because being the po-po gives special powers.

6. Isn't there a twist in the law that would make it an "armed robbery" even if the weapon was not used, displayed or even mentioned? I remember a thread some time ago where a shoplifter was charged with armed robbery because he had his CCW gun on him during the theft.

P.S. For the record, I think in this case an armed robbery charge would be appropriate.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  7. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    I see the point both of you are making.

For the CCW guy, some states make a "strong-arm" robbery into armed robbery by the mere presence of a gun, even if it isn't used or mentioned in the robbery.

Again, I think it is going to boil down to the reason for displaying the weapon. Since it looks like he just said "see this is my badge and gun" that may not be enough to qualify for robbery.

It looks like the cops called it that way.

But they could have been wrong, and the article could have omitted facts or even gotten them wrong.

8. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

Oct 30, 2011
    Oklahoma, USA
    Wait wait wait... you mean, all I have to do to get free McD's is break leather?

Wtf, and I've been paying full price all these years...

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

9. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Experience says the prosecutor called it that way.

My money will be on that he was arrested on that charge to get him off the streets, and buy a little time to put together a robbery charge.

10. He was outed because every real cop knows that a badge is only good for a coffee at the local stop and rob.

11. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Many times, not even that. Around here, it's the single digit wave.

12. Should have started on something more believable, and hit Dunkin Donuts.

13. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    In WI, if you enter a house unarmed, then steal a gun, it just became armed burglary, so yes, even being in possession without using it would still count.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I like it. Truth.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

15. Think it was the blue Glock that tipped off the restaurant folks? :supergrin:

16. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Might have been the AK pistol sprayed orange. :whistling:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012