close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The Joker

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by maxsnafu, Jul 23, 2012.

1. maxsnafu

maxsnafu

Dec 29, 2006
  2. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Which makes me wonder again, if the entire concept of "innocent by reason of insanity" is an unreasonable concept. Insanity should be an aggravating factor, not a mitigating one. As a society, sympathy has trumped practicality. Incarceration is best used to keep those unable to work and play well with others away from the rest. A person who does not have the mental circuit breakers to prevent them from acting violently against innocent third parties should be locked up much longer because of that, not coddled by the system.

3. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

Apr 23, 2010
    +1000, dead on!

4. maxsnafu

maxsnafu

Dec 29, 2006
    Where were Holmes' parents in all this? Were they totally unaware that their little boy was deranged?

The Columbine killers amassed a huge cache of guns under the noses of their disengaged parents. Jared Loughner's parents knew he was nuts and did nothing.

Do the parents in any of these cases deserve any blame for foisting their murderous progeny upon an unsuspecting public?

5. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    In this case, the parents were living in a separate state.

Holmes is 100% culpable. So far, the worst question I have seen so far was some idiot wondering why the 6 year old was at a midnight showing, as if she went there herself, somehow implying it was her or her parents fault. I'm sure her parents are comforted by that question being asked.

It's times like these that the constitution becomes a little pesky. We will spend millions on trying this turd. They should release him into a locked auditorium, and allow family members to go in voluntarily with a declaration of legal and civil immunity for anything they say or do to him.

But you have to take the good with the bad in any human created system, for better or worse.

6. It is not unusual to question the parenting skills (or lack thereof) of a person that thinks it is a good idea to take a 6 year old to an R-rated movie at midnight on a weekday.

If we actually had more questioning of bad parenting....we would not end up with young adults that shoot up public places...think about it.

Today? Forget it. You cannot say anything about anyone's parenting style...anything goes. Who are we to judge, say anything or try to set some sort of norms for our society...right?

- brickboy240

7. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    I thought TDKR was PG-13?
    I know still older than six, but a pretty big difference I would think.

8. Maybe it was PG-13 but still...does a 6 year old need to be in a movie with that subject matter at midnight on a weekday?

If we cannot question that...why bother trying to question how these young people get to the point where they gun down many people in a fit of rage like this.

- brickboy240

9. The Butcher of Aurora is "innocent" since the very nature of his act is insane, i.e., no sane person would do this.

10. maxsnafu

maxsnafu

Dec 29, 2006
    Then free him immediately.

11. That's not the result of an 'innocent by insanity' judgment.

12. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    I'll grant you that. I would never take my kid to see that movie at that age. I'd wait for it on Blu-ray if I couldn't get a sitter, because that's what responsible parents do.

13. You don't have to be a total evangelical moral crusader to think that maybe a movie that shows tons of killing, violence and swearing is not the best thing for a child of age 6.

...do you?

-brickboy240

14. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

Was that rhetorical?

the evidence is that some of the posters on this forum seems to imply they think it is wrong to try and keep a 6-year old child from their right to see simulated brain matter splattered on a wall.

15. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    I agreed with you. I would not have taken my kid.
    I think a lot of parents today don't realize that kids mean you have to sacrifice a lot.

Case in point, I went to see season of the witch and there was a guy and gal there with what had to be no more than a 5 year old. I just shook my head.

16. We missed a lot of movies and skipped out on some of our favorite restaurants when our daughter was very small. Again...part of being a parent and putting your child's needs ahead of your own.

Many parents of today can't or won't do this so we get kids that shoot their classmates and don't know how to act in public.

- brickboy240

17. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    And that's the biggest crime you can think of that night?

:faint:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  18. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Sometimes, words are used incorrectly.

The last thing I would ever use to describe this guy is innocent. It may not be pure, it may not be righteous, but this guy sure seems to be a rabid dog that simply needs to be put down.

19. Kentak

Kentak

Jan 8, 2006
    Central Ohio
    The real image is more disturbing than the photoshopped one.

[​IMG]

20. Kentak

Kentak

Jan 8, 2006
    Central Ohio
    My sense is that the answer is no--in most cases. I personally knew a fine, Christian couple who raised an adopted son in a solid, loving family-oriented home. As a young adult, he brutally murdered his girlfriend. Although an extreme example, we all probably know good parents whose kids have gone astray. Kids are, after all, individual beings with free will--not marionettes controlled by their parents--and parents shouldn't want them to be.