Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The "I Survived" Program on BIO TV

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by MTPD, Jun 23, 2010.

  1. MTPD


    Nov 9, 2005
    This is an interesting program on the BIO channel (#266 on direct TV) involving Docu-Drama's of real-life "survival" situations, including feed-back and explanations from the victims themselves. Not all are shooting-related situations, but many are.

    One I watched last night involved a female prison guard who was taken prisoner by two convicts. She and a male guard were handcuffed and leg-ironed and held prisoner in a guard tower for a week!!!

    The first or second night the female guard got her handcuffs off while the convicts were asleep and could have accessed a loaded AR-15 and shot the convicts, but the male guard didn't want her to do it for some unknown reason, so she put her handcuffs back on and went back to being an unresisting sheep.

    The result? She was raped multiple times and both her and the male guard were threatened with execution multiple times. A SWAT team had been present the entire time but never did a thing to rescue the guards except for trying to trade food for favors. Near the end it was a toss-up as to whether it was going to be a murder-suicide or a surrender. It only ended up a surrender because a relative of one convict convinced him at the last minute to give up.

    What do you think (1) of the female guard's failure to shoot the convicts when she had the chance, (2) the male guard's advice not to do it, and (3) SWAT's failure to take a more aggressive pro-active role?

    In other words, what do you think of the mindset and tactics of those involved, and what would you have done?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Bado


    Apr 22, 2007
    I wonder why they did not drug them when they sent the food up.

  3. MTPD


    Nov 9, 2005
    That's exactly what I asked my wife while we were watching the program!!! :dunno:
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. Riz58


    Jan 13, 2006
    4 Corners NM
    I enjoy "I Survived" as well. Partly to see what these folks did right, what they did wrong, to understand the criminal mind or emergency circumstances better, and raise my awareness level.

    In response to the original question, yes, she should have grabbed the gun and ended the situation right there. The only reason I could think of not acting is the reluctance of most of us to take another human life. Apparently the male guard thought these guys could be talked down. The poor lady suffered greatly for that slip of judgment.

    Why did she not at least grab the gun and cuff one of the prisoners? I did not watch the show, but I dang sure would not have put myself back in a helpless position on purpose!

    I see the reluctance to attack an aggressor in most of these circumstances. We have programed people to believe that if they cooperate, nothing bad will happen to them. That may be correct 80 to 90% of the time, but the consequences of the other 10% are so grave that I have come to the conclusion that I will not wait to find out if I have the opportunity to act. I am not a mind-reader, and I do not understand what the decision-making process of a sociopath may be, and I am not willing to risk my life or others on my uneducated guess.

    This situation demonstrates that even prison guards may not have prepared themselves mentally to deal with the situations they may be called upon to face.
  5. tx787


    Feb 11, 2010
    Probably afraid they'd get sued or that the attackers would make the prisoners test the food first.
  6. JW1178


    Jul 17, 2009
    Don't be a victim and fight back like hell every chance you get, that would have been a much better idea than to re-handcuff yourself.

    I saw another episode of that show where the kidnapper left the gun right next to the victim while he went looking for her daughter, what did she do? She threw the gun out the window. As a result, her daughter ended up being killed by the psycho.


    I don't know how many episodes of "I Survived" where the person having a gun would have saved them a whole lot of trama.

    Good show though, I love it, but I missed that episode the OP is talking about.
  7. MTPD


    Nov 9, 2005
    I didn't see the episode you mentioned where the mother threw the gun out the window instaed of using it on the BG, but it sounds like typical "sheep-think", aka "learned-helplessness"!