Glock Talk banner

The glock 30: Obsolete?

11K views 64 replies 40 participants last post by  BMiracletx 
#1 ·
Ok, not obsolete, but after the winner glock put out with the 30s, why would anybody want to buy the 30?

If you want a .45 for targets and plinking, you're probably buying a 21. If you want one to conceal, you're likely going for the 36 or the the 30s.

Are there any of you who still want a 30 now that the 30s has been introduced?

#3 ·
I dunno... personally I keep thinking why would anyone want a 30s! I love my 30sf and its been 100% reliable. If any Glock can be called a turd, its probably the thin slide 36. So putting the 36 slide on a 30 frame I think would still be finicky. My thought is the 30 has always been reliable. The thin slide 36 has been a problem for a lot of people. When the 45GAPs first came out they had thin slides, then Glock went to a thicker slide to improve reliability. Now they are trying another thin slide again? Didn't they learn with the 36 and initial 45GAPs?

Some people have had problems with reliability already with their 30s, the 36 is still hit or miss (although mine has been 100%), but the 30 is still rock solid.

I don't foresee the 30 going anyone soon.

#4 ·
To quote an old sage, guns are meant to be comforting, not comfortable. As one who wore a full duty belt for many years (20+), four ounces and a tenth of an inch is not the end of the world. I tried the G36 slide on the G30 frame and was not impressed. I am quite comfortable with my G30 as my plainclothes sidearm with a 13 round mag as a backup.

#5 ·
To quote an old sage, guns are meant to be comforting, not comfortable. As one who wore a full duty belt for many years (20+), four ounces and a tenth of an inch is not the end of the world. I tried the G36 slide on the G30 frame and was not impressed. I am quite comfortable with my G30 as my plainclothes sidearm with a 13 round mag as a backup.
Well said. I tried my 36 slide on my 30sf and wasn't impressed. But, for others if they like the feel and weight then great. But its not worth it to me to buy one when I can just do the 30/36 hybrid... but why? I like my 30sf. If I want smaller I go to a 26/27/33/39.

#6 · (Edited)
The G30S isn't an option in our household. Both of our Gen3 G30SF pistols will be upgraded to G30 Gen4 because we require support for caliber conversions we already own, and another in the planning stage, for woods protection and sport.

Below is what I've written comparing the G30 and G30S taken from the post linked in my signature line below.

The widths of the pistol grip and slide are important factors for concealed carry. If your body type and/or wardrobe is suited for only a slim pistol this could be an issue. Consider the recently released Gen3 G30S 45ACP pistol if a slimmer slide is better suited for your needs and preference. The G30S is a Gen3 G30SF (10+1) frame topped with the slimmer, lighter slide of the G36 pistol and a G36 barrel with smaller outside diameter. The width of the G30S slide at 1.004" ± 0.002" is 1/8" less than the G30 slide (1.126" ± 0.002"). However, the width of the G30S grip at the widest point is the same as all other G30 models (1.28 inch), thus only a modest improvement in concealability can be expected. The G30S weighs 3.53 oz. less than the G30 Gen4, which is ~10.5% less overall with a full mag, and many will like that the most about the G30S. A holster designed for a G30 pistol appears to be the surest bet to fit the G30S. Holsters designed for a G19/G23 are hit or miss in properly fitting the G30S from early reports. On the other hand, some owners report the G30S will fit the occasional holster suitable for a G36 or even a G26. Buyer beware, try them before buying.

The consensus opinion from early reviewers of the G30S is the new pistol has more perceived recoil and muzzle flip than the Gen3 G30/G30SF or Gen4 G30. It is noticeable, especially with +P ammo, but still comfortable to shoot. This is no surprise considering the G30S upper is 3.5 oz. lighter and slide velocity is higher. Some expert shooters, in tests of the G30S of hundreds of rounds fired, have noted that the G30S is an accurate pistol but not the equal of the G30/G30SF or requires more effort to shoot as well.

In contrast to the G30S, the Gen3 G30/G30SF and Gen4 G30 with the thicker, heavier slide are the best option (the only option in my opinion) if you have any plans or desire to convert your pistol to .460 Rowland, .40 Super, 10mm Auto or other high-energy pistol calibers for woods protection or sport. Aftermarket conversion barrels commercially available for the Gen3 G30/G30SF and Gen4 G30 are not interchangeable with the G30S barrel.

It's highly doubtful that the G30S, with a much lighter slide, will be a comfortable and safe pistol to shoot .45 Super ammo. The G30S is designed for 45ACP +P (23K psi) and that's the end of the road. I fear for the brave/reckless G30S owner who shoots .45 Super (28K psi) in the G30S factory barrel and slide. I'm anxious enough as it is shooting 45 Super in the G30 factory barrel. The heavier G30 slide and aftermarket barrels are on the ragged edge of sufficient mass to make high-energy caliber conversion feasible, safe and reasonable to shoot comfortably. Even with the heavier slide and barrel, some G30 conversions need a compensator for added mass at lock-up and recoil attenuation (.460 Rowland and .40 Super). The G30S is a 45ACP pistol exclusively and that's plenty good for the vast majority of people who will buy the G30S.

On the positive side of a larger G30/G30SF slide, the width of the standard slide (1-1/8 inch) is a perfect match for the Trijicon RMR red dot sight mounted on a milled slide. It's a truly awesome combination with tall, suppressor night sights for co-witness backup iron sights. This configuration is becoming increasingly popular for daily CCW use.​

#8 ·
faced with this choice I went with the G30 Gen4...

...although I haven't heard of teething problems with the G30S I felt the perceived reduced recoil, reliability and accuracy bonus of the thicker slide was worth the extra thickness and slight weight disadvantage...

#9 ·
Hello All:
I have had my G30S for a couple of weeks now with over 250 rounds down range. It has been 100% reliable and accurate too. Also own a G30 which is also accurate and reliable. However, the "SF" frame and the "thin" slide of the G30S really do make a big difference in concealability (at least it does for me). I just got a "Gould and Goodrich" model B890-G30 holster for my G30S. It hides very well. This is now my EDC. "To each his own." Good luck and good shooting.
VR

#11 · (Edited)
I used to own a G30. By putting a Wolff 19# recoil spring in it it was good to go with 45 Super. I would not advise using 45 Super at all in the 36 or 30s, there is just not enough slide mass IMO. Also the G30 feels pretty much the same to me shooting standard 45 or +P, I really don't like shooting +ps out of my 36. Nowadays when I shoot +Ps out of a compact 45 it is my USPc 45, my G36 is too uncomfortable with +Ps and my Ultra CDP II is not suited for +P at all. Glock would be showing very bad judgment getting rid of the G30 IMO.

In fact if I ever wanted a fat grip small Glock 45 again (not likely but it could happen) it would be a 30 not the 30s just because the 30 can handle hot loads all day everyday.

#13 ·
<=== intrigued by the G30S, but doesn't see a need to personally switch. I'm a G30SF owner and love that gun!!! I've shot the FrankenGlock (36/30) on my SF frame. It worked, but, I don't see a need.... I for one, would've been more impressed had Glock tried to shave some mm's from the actual poly frame as well.

I think the the slide thickness is a positive attribute for this Lil Bulldog! It just feels inherently more accurate and deals with recoil dampening better IMHO. I don't think many of us guys who are 30SF Fans will make a "switch" per se....

#15 ·
The 30S having the lighter slide and same RSA as the 30, I'm guessing is going to make it a popular subcompact "gamer gun". i.e. think MajorSub at GSSF shooting .45acp minor PF reloads (I know...it just sounds wrong...but people do it). Just as the 21 is more tolerant of weakly loaded ammo than the 30, I suspect the 30S will be too.

#17 ·
The 30S having the lighter slide and same RSA as the 30, I'm guessing is going to make it a popular subcompact "gamer gun". i.e. think MajorSub at GSSF shooting .45acp minor PF reloads (I know...it just sounds wrong...but people do it). Just as the 21 is more tolerant of weakly loaded ammo than the 30, I suspect the 30S will be too.
I always thought this was an anomaly. You would think that with the lighter slide of the 36 and 30s that the RSA would be increased in weight to prevent battering... but nope. I think that is what makes them more snappy. I stiffer spring by a pound or two might reduce the snap.

#19 ·
I always thought this was an anomaly. You would think that with the lighter slide of the 36 and 30s that the RSA would be increased in weight to prevent battering... but nope. I think that is what makes them more snappy. I stiffer spring by a pound or two might reduce the snap.
I use a 19# Wolff non captive set up on my 36. It wasn't bad with the factory spring though. It is remarkably easy on recoil for being a 23.2* ounce 45. I can't help but wonder what the 21.5 ounce XDs feels like.

*Empty with mag inserted.

#22 ·
I agree... the thinner slide and still having a fat frame will add little to concealability.

The ONLY perceived beneift that I can see is the 3 oz weight saving. Me? I would prefer the shootability and reliability of the 30sf.
I think the G30S does conceal better... & the 3.5 oz. less weight feels much better to me. I am using a slide holster made for a G36 & standard frame Glocks that I had used for a G26. I also put the G30S in the Nemesis pocket holster that I had used for the G26 & it fits in the pocket of my summer shorts OK. The G30SF/G30S frame is not much wider than a G19, etc., except at the grip. You might be interested in this thread I started a few days back:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1472180

I have a new G30SF and a new G30S... I love them both & would hate to part with either. If I had to give up one, I would have to keep the G30SF.

I added a heavier RSA (Wolff 19# vs. the standard 17#) to my G30S. That seems to soften the recoil feel a little. Even with the stiffer spring, Buffalo Bore 230 gr FMJFN +P rounds were landing about 10 feet behind me (at 5 o'clock). With that spring, the gun still functioned fine with some light reloads (225 gr); they dropped at my feet, but never failed to eject.

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.