close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Dinner Thread.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RagnarDanneskjold, Sep 1, 2013.

1. RagnarDanneskjold

RagnarDanneskjold Senior Pirate

Jul 8, 2013
    Behind the Tofu Curtain
    So, I'm a bachelor cooking for himself. I do it well, but my repertoire is somewhat limited. Tonight I'm doing pork chops and mashed potatoes, cooking twice as much as I need and throwing the leftovers in Pyrex for a "nuke-it-night" when I come home too late to cook.

I'm curious what other GTer's are having, and see a thread for some favorite, easy, recipes and food combos. Humor is very welcome, but I am looking for ideas to expand the dozen or so meals I cook regularly.

Also, tonight's meal will be accompanied by a $4 Cab. I'm trying. Starving-student budget wine selections to accompany the meals are likewise welcome.

ETA: If you're having something good, please include How to Make It!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    I had a grilled pizza with pepperoni, sausage, onion, and anchovy.

Founders All Day IPA

3. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Aug 9, 2008
    Kansas
    OAT okie approved thread.

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    Steak tacos for me.
    They were:eat:

5. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 GTDS Platinum Member

Good salad, split a good, small, frozen pizza with the wife.

It's an off day for her, I gotta work tomorrow.

6. RagnarDanneskjold

Jul 8, 2013
    Behind the Tofu Curtain
    Hey, those both sound good, mind including some "how-to-make-'em" stuff?

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Tnderloin filet baked potato and some green beans

8. G30SF/F-250

You going to tag this thread?

9. RagnarDanneskjold

Jul 8, 2013
    Behind the Tofu Curtain
    Wow. That's actually the nicest thing anyone's said to me since I've been on GT. I was too late to meet the mayor, but you can judge the size of a man pretty well from the size of the hole he leaves when he's gone.

10. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    Well I cheated a little, I went by a local pizza place on the way home from the football game and bought some dough. Then I just started a hot fire in the grill, made the pizza the normal way you would make it and then grilled it on the covered grill.

It sounds far harder than it is, once you trust that putting a raw pizza on a smoking hot grill will work, it is easy.

11. G30SF/F-250

If that's the nicest thing you have heard on GT, you have been posting in the wrong places.:wavey:

12. RagnarDanneskjold

Jul 8, 2013
    Behind the Tofu Curtain
    Nice, thanks! (Who was playing?)

13. RagnarDanneskjold

Jul 8, 2013
    Behind the Tofu Curtain
    People have said some nice things since I've been here, in fact, nice has been the rule, rather than the exception. This was still an extremely nice thing to read.

14. 2bgop

2bgop

Dec 5, 2006
    In the SEC
    Murray St. vs Missouri

15. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA

I do tacos in a small cast iron pan.

Smear some beans on a corn tortilla, a bit of cheese, meat, chopped onion, jalapeños toss in the hot pan.
    When cheese is melted well put on plate and garnish with radish slices, tomato and avocado.
    Throw another in pan and wolf down the hot one:eat:

I often make batches of pre cooked meat that I use for nachos, tacos or my rice and beans with veggies breakfast.

Also tasty with flour tortillas.

I also do shrimp, fish and OMG SOOO YUMMY:wow: bacon tacos

16. G30SF/F-250

Mag is a great guy. We all feel lucky when he replies to our threads.:wavey:

17. RagnarDanneskjold

Jul 8, 2013
    Behind the Tofu Curtain
    Deleted

18. RagnarDanneskjold

Jul 8, 2013
    Behind the Tofu Curtain
    How do you do the steak for your steak tacos? Marinade? Dry-rub? I haven't tried doing shrimp tacos, myself, usually eat shrimp by themselves, with some sauce... Would love to make my own shrimp burritos, though...

19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    I'm a bachelor but also a reformed 'hack' chef from my days before the Army. I don't own a microwave but know how to cook one night a week to eat well & health for the rest of the week, mostly Italian pasta stuff. I do boil-bag like everything at Olive Garden along with fresh veggies.

Tomorrow however is an exception as I''ll be cooking Sicilian for a lovely woman with a fresh cherry tomato (from the garden) & caper pasta with some grilled fresh albacore (not Italian but i it's Very short season in these parts), sauteed spinach, a loaf of Pugliese and some good bread along with a decent Red Blend.

20. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Moderator

Jan 1, 1970
    Get a crock pot. It is hard to screw up a pot of pinto beans.

Couple tips: soak the uncooked beans overnight, with the water level about three times higher than the uncooked beans. They will swell a bunch.

DO NOT use the water you soaked the beans in to cook them. Dump the water, rinse the beans and use fresh water. I like to use chicken broth as well as water, for the flavor. A few ounces of ham will also enhance the flavor.

Lots of ways to spice them and everyone here will give you a different take on what to use. For a very tasty, but dead simple way to spice the beans, buy a bottle of Fiesta Brand Extra Fancy Pinto Bean Seasoning and follow the directions on the bottle.

I cook the beans on low for about seven hours.

Another great tip: Reynolds ( as in Reynolds Wrap) makes disposable crock pot liner bags. They are cheap and save a lot of time on cleanup. Washing a crock pot after it has been cooking all day is a flaming PITA.

There are about a million things that can be done with leftover pinto beans. It is an inexpensive, nutritious and easy to prepare food. It should be a staple for any sensible bachelor. Eric