close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The Defensive Shotgun

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Glocklvr, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Glocklvr

Glocklvr

Dec 30, 2010
    Mas it seems like the majority of questions reguarding firearms for self defense involves handguns and the loads to carry in them. What is your opinion on the shotgun for personal protection/home defense. What loads do you recomend for a rural setting where neighbors are not at risk. I am taking a 4 day tactical shotgun course and plan on participating in defensive "tactical" shotgun competitions. I know you are a advocate of IDPA to polish and maintain skills for concealed carry. What about the shotgun.:dunno:

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    For indoor and close range, buckshot is my personal choice. "Saturation effect." Beyond 15-25 yards predictable engagement distance I'd rather have slugs. On ranch or farm, there seems to be a much greater likelihood of needing to take the gun out of the house and perhaps deploy it an unknown distance. I'd prefer a rifle for that, and with a shotgun, would want slugs.

YMMV,
    Mas