close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"The Dark Elf Trilogy" by R.A. Salvatore

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by DonGlock26, Sep 15, 2004.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

If you are a Tolkien/ LOTR fan, you might like this book as much as I did. This is the story of a Good Dark Elf and his struggle to avoid the evil nature of his people. R.A. Salvatore tells a good story and he's written a ton of books, too.

Enjoy,

Don

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

Don't stop with just that trilogy, if you like Drizzt. There are numerous more books with Bruenor, Regis, Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie, and Drizzt, including The Icewind Dale Trilogy. All told, there's probably about 12-15 books featuring him.

3. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I couldn't get into the drizzt books.

4. mhambi

mhambi
    Expand Collapse
    κολασμένος
    1. Project Mayhem

You started without me! ;)

Pretty good books. Makes you think a little about your perceptions of religion, morality, identity.

Good Stuff

mhambi-featuring a 'Drizzt' sig line

5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

I've pretty much read them all. I read a chapter at night before bed. I'm waiting for "The Two Swords" due out in OCT.2004.^5

6. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

Mhambi,

I thought the quote sounded familiar, but couldn't place it. I'm guessing, albeit probably wrong, but it sounds like something from the Legacy/Starless Night series (can't remember series title), or from the new "Thousand Orcs" series. Which one?

7. glockster96

glockster96
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Hee hee hee....mhambi and I already had this discussion via PM.

I have read and own all of the Dark Elf books. I liked them. :)

Fans might also check out "The War of the Spider Queen", also from Wizards of the Coast.

8. wprebeck

wprebeck
    Expand Collapse
    Got quacks?

Just got done with book IV, "Extinction" of the aforementioned series. It was decent enough, although they're getting a bit more...descriptive with things in the new series. What with all the gore, and then the whole girl/girl thing, it's a bit weird.

So, where's the quote from?

;g

9. mhambi

mhambi
    Expand Collapse
    κολασμένος
    1. Project Mayhem

10. Timber Wolf

Timber Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Christ. Warrior

So what's the first book in the series? SO I can narrow down my search.

My library catalog shows 51 items for an R. A. Salvatore, it looks like he (or is it she??) did the book adaptation for SW II: Attack of the Clones. Also, is Salvatore closer to JRRT, or to Terry Brokks' Shannara series??

11. glockster96

glockster96
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Dark Elf Trilogy:

Homeland
    Exile
    Sojourn

Several more after that, if interested I can list them all in order.

12. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

I would rank R.A. Salvatore as MUCH better than Brooks. R.A. Salvatore's speciality is close quarter battle with melee weapons.;f There are well over a dozen of these novels.

The publisher(Wizards of the Coast)combined several of the novels into Trilogies(4). The first Trilogy was called "The Icewind Dale Trilogy". The second Trilogy(The Dark Elf Trilogy)goes back in time to the main character's birth and escape from the Underworld, where his race of evil dark elves(drow) come from. I started with the Dark elf trilogy, and I'm glad I did because, it was in chronological order. Another advantage to buying the trilogies is that they are cheaper and larger than the paperbacks. So, I highly recommend you start with "The Dark Elf Trilogy". Salvatore paints a very "colorful" world engulfed in total darkness. In the Icewind Dale books, the main character "Drizzit" is on the surface dealing with the immediate hate, anyone who sees him, feels towards his race. I hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-9135743-8251005?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Enjoy,

Don

13. Timber Wolf

Timber Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Christ. Warrior

Found 'em, thanks. I asked about Brooks, 'cause a friend of mine from college had liked the Shea Shannara series, and I picked up the first book and trudged my way through it. Didn't like it a whole bunch, defintely not enough to read anymore of Brooks.

14. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

I agree 110%! I think you'll enjoy Salvatore.;c

15. Brasso

Brasso
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Hey DonGlock26,

I went to 6 different book stores today, new and used, and no one had the "Homeland". Think you could email it to me one painstakingly hand-typed chapter at a time. ;f

16. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

Funny you posted here! I saw your "Shannara" thread and I thought about mentioning "The Dark Elf Trilogy".;f

It's a really good series. I'm shocked to hear you can't find one. They are all over the Borders and Barnes&Nobels in Michigan and Florida. Try ordering it through your library or Amazon. I've had nothing but good luck buying used books on-line.

The latest Dritzz(the dark elf) book is due in bookstores on 10-19. It's called "The Two Swords". Ya, I'm a fan.

Good Luck,

Don

17. mrstang01

mrstang01
    Expand Collapse

Also check half.com, I've gotten good deals there.

Michael

18. Brasso

Brasso
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Believe it or not, after checking 3 Books a Million, 1 Barnes and Noble, and 3 used bookstores, I found the thing at WalMart yesterday. I finished it last night. It's a good read, although a bit short. I'll try and find the others today, but I get the feeling that all 3 books could have been put into one.

19. Vic303

Vic303
    Expand Collapse

Check out Dennis McKiernan's works on Mithgar. He's got a dozen or so books out on Mithgar. Well done, and pay gentle homage to LOTR, but stand on their own well.

20. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip! The latest Dark Elf book just hit the market. "The Two Swords" I have to finish a few books, before I'll start reading it.