Glock Talk banner

The classic, iconic 9mm pistols - What are they?

15K views 89 replies 33 participants last post by  bac1023 
#1 ·
I thought this would be a fun exercise, but its surely one for debate. I'm going to break it down into two tiers or levels based on just how iconic I think they are. I'm not talking about the highest quality guns (though most of these are very high quality pistols) nor am I talking about the most accurate (though some of these are indeed very accurate). I'm simply talking true icons in the world of 9mm autos. This list is what I came up with after some careful thought. Of course, its only my opinion. :cool:

The first tier for me is a very short list. These are 9mms that have been involved in major wars and have are still very popular today for various functions or just nostalgia. In the case of the Hi-Power, its still in production today.

Luger (several manufacturers)
Walther P38 (or another manufacturer)
Browning/FN Hi-Power

A case could certainly be made for the Mauser Broomhandle. However, to me, it just doesn't have the popularity today to put it into this category. I'm sure others feel its on the same level as the other three. If so, put it in your list below. To me, the Hi-Power is the all time classic of 9mm pistols, but some would say the Luger is since the round was designed for the pistol. :)

For me, the second tier has a few more pistols in it. Most of these are modern classics that are still being produced today.

Here are my choices in no particular order.

CZ 75
Beretta 92
Sig Sauer P226
Sig P210
Smith & Wesson 39
Glock 17

I know there are other classic Sig Sauer 9mms. In fact, the P220 and P225 predate the P226. However, it was only the P226 that became the true icon, in my opinion. I was thinking of including the FB Radom 35, but, like the Broomhandle, I don't feel it has the popularity today to justify it.

So, like it or not, that's my list. Here is a picture of them together. On the third row, I put a few honorable mentions. Within their tier, the guns are in no particular order.

First tier: Browning Hi-Power, Luger, Walther P38

Second Tier: Smith & Wesson 39, Beretta 92, Sig P210, CZ 75 (yes, I need an original), Sig Sauer P226 - Missing: Glock 17

Honerable mentions: HK P7M8, Star Model B, FB Radom 35 - Missing: Broomhandle

As you can see, only nine pistols made my list, with a few more that I thought were close. I think too many selections lessons the impact and these are the models that I feel deserve to be recognized.

What do you think I'm missing? What would you add or delete? What's on your list? :dunno:

See less See more
#52 ·
The Mauser may not be around any more but it's even more recognizable than the Luger.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
But the mauser was originally chambered for the .30 mauser, so I really don't consider it an iconic 9mm.

While the Ruger p series are popular I don't see them as iconic either. If you are going to include the Ruger you need to include the Tec-9 as well.

I like Bac's list the way it is.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

#53 ·
Well the Ruger may not be iconic, I do believe it deserves a place in history. Is the first truly affordable reliable modern 9 millimeter semi-automatic pistol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#54 · (Edited)
When one states iconic that doesn't necessarily means it sold a ton so I'll add the HK P7M8... Unique, once you see one you won't forget it and a great shooter since the fixed barrel makes it accurate.

Only downsides are not a range gun to quickly fire a ton of rounds since it gets hot and needing to clean the gas system every once in a while.

#58 ·
I would honestly put the CZ 75 top tier iconic worldwide. I think that pistol is as good, or better than any pistol ever made. The others have a bit of a head start against the CZ 75 as far as the western world is concerned!
I'm not up on CZs, what is different about it? What has feature does it have to move it to iconic? Guy I shoot with has one that sheared the barrel lug in a match and he cut a groove in his fingers when they slip across the rear sight trying to clear what he thought was a jam.

Never shot his but love the way it feels and looks.

#61 ·
I can't find any fault with your list, but I would elevate the HK PSP/P7M8 up a notch for a complete top 10.

#65 · (Edited)
First polymer handgun. A game changer, therefore a classic.
That doesn't equal classic or iconic in my eyes.

So many people, even gun people, have never even heard of it. Iconic pistols and classic are pistols that people easily identify, even non gun people.

I'll give you innovative and collectable, but not iconic.

Just my opinion, of course.

#67 ·
Luger P08
Walther P38
Browning Hi-Power
SIG P210
Glock 17
If I was forced to trim my list down to just five, that's probably what I would choose.

The only difference may be swapping out the P210 for the S&W 39. Tough choice. The P210 is a legend that's been around since the middle of the last century. Its a military pistol that's incredibly well built with accuracy to rival any modern target pistol today. However, the 39 was basically the first double action service pistol and was immensely popular for decades. Plus, it's been around almost as long as the P210. Like I said, that's a real tough choice.

#68 ·
Yeah, I thought about that when I made the list. It's a very high quality, innovative, and accurate pistol. To me, it's not as iconic as the others though. Its close.
Yep, subjectivity makes life more interesting. I'd be interested in your takes on the classic iconics of various other rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.