close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

The Christian Divorce Rate Myth

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Paul7, May 11, 2012.

1. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

I'm willing to accept the proposition that christain families in general have lower divorce rates. What I'm not willing to accept (without proof) is that this is a desirable outcome. How do we know that it just isn't more people staying in dysfunctional and self destructive relationships out of community / religious pressure?

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

That isn't what these studies found though, according to the link posted. Self-professed Christians actually had higher rates of divorce than the non-religious. It was attendance at a church or other worship service that correlated to lower divorce rates. It would be interesting to see if this held true across other religions also.

3. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

Agreed, the point focuses on committed Christians. Jesus said the claim to be a follower of His alone didn't mean you were one.

4. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

Do they have lower divorce rates because they actually believe, or do they have lower divorce rates because, in a society of believers, there is social pressure to not get divorced?

5. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

The husband and wife aside, divorce is bad for children:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1993/04/dan-quayle-was-right/7015/#

6. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

That doesn't answer the question I asked. It also ignores that there are specific situations in which parents staying together is bad for the children.

#7 void *, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

I have been married 13 years. I am not going anywhere. Divorce is not part of our belief system unless it is based upon marital infedility. My wife and I do not cheat on one another, and are content with each other.

For our own personal relationship we took it a step further. We have agreed that we are mated for life. That means if one or the other dies we have chosen not to remarry.

8. ponders

ponders
    Expand Collapse

i am this way too if she dies i WONT remarry. marriage card is punched ONE and DONE but when i brought up the subject with her she said that if i died she would remarry and it made me feel like i got sick to my stomach:puking:

still VERY BURNT over that fact:steamed:

whatever tho its her life when im gone and if she dosent care enough for me to remain mine when im gone its her perogitive:whistling:

9. Alizard

Alizard
    Expand Collapse

Goat358 likes this.
  10. Paul7

Paul7
    Expand Collapse
    New Guy

The question was irrelevant. The study found committed Christians get divorced left, it didn't say why.

Cite?

11. steveksux

steveksux
    Expand Collapse
    Massive Member

This is true... On average, its dangerous to slam on the brakes and swerve into another lane. Not so much when you round a curve and there's a car stalled in your lane. Its dangerous to extrapolate the average or median and attempt to apply it to all situations. Are children really better off raised by a married couple where the husband beats the wife regularly? That's where little wife beaters come from. How about cases of incest?

Also like to point this out... I think if you do some statistics on vegans, you'll find they tend to eat less meat than the general population also.

I'm not sure its remarkable that the more fervent believers that divorce is wrong have less divorces... Makes sense to me, and I believe it. Solid statistics, it sounds like.

Where people get into trouble using statistics is often the conclusions they draw based on the statistics, the "why" if you will. Statistics only covers the "what".

Randy

12. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

#13 void *, May 13, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  13. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

From the article,

It's OK to deceive people in the name of Christ.

14. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

That's selfish.

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, we don't have room in our marriage for you.

16. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

You and your wife want to control each other even after you're dead. Talk about control freaks. It's none of my business what my wife does after I die. I hope she does whatever she needs to do to recover and be happy with the rest of her life.

17. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but you are operating under a completely different set of assumptions. You assume you die and that is it. We plan on spending eternity with each other.

We are not control freaks, rather we are trying to extend our love beyond just this earth.

18. muscogee

muscogee
    Expand Collapse

Is that scriptural? Didn't Jesus say there was no man and no woman in Heaven, or something like that? So you won't be married in Heaven.

#19 muscogee, May 13, 2012
  19. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

The particular issue you are referring to is multiple marriages of a widowed woman. Heaven is one thing. That is 1,000 years. The New Earth on the other hand, if it is restored to its original intent, it would be very logical to extrapolate that we would be told be fruitful and multiply once again. So, we won't find out what is actually going to happen until things come about, we are just trying to do the best we can, to see if we are loyal only to one another that we might be able to continue our marriage in the New Earth.

#20 Kingarthurhk, May 13, 2012