close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The Chief Justice's Gambit

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by CAcop, Jun 29, 2012.

1. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    That IS very interesting. Did Roberts snooker the left side of the bench?

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    Takes grasping at straws to a whole 'nother level.

5. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie
    Not bad under the circumstances. It only took the GOP less than 18 hours to come up with this rather strained spin. Will this wizardly 'long view' "chess" rationalization have legs or will they need to come up with something better in the coming days?

6. Mister_Beefy

Mister_Beefy Legal & Proper

Apr 19, 2011
    "we'll see" says the old man, as he cleans his rifle.

7. The Machinist

The Machinist No Compromise

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    This is twice, I've seen Roberts' betrayal of the Constitution and the American people likened to a game of chess. This is how you rationalize yesterday's attack on your freedom? Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe this level of sycophancy. It's beyond disgusting.

Do you people even realize that by siding with Roberts, you're also siding with the progressive stooges he's in league with? Who in the hell do you think you're fooling?

8. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    Interesting food for thought...The article might be instrumental as a devil's advocate and counterbalance against the overwhelmingly negative opinions coming out on Roberts from conservatives.

I'm not saying I believe the article -- but it doesn't hurt to view events from various areas outside the box to see how things play out.

9. DOC44

DOC44

Jan 10, 2004
    in my recliner

Thought about that yesterday.... as I was grasping at straws.

Doc44

10. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

Roberts said we have the freedom to make stupid choices.

Superman isn't coming along to fix them.

We will have to do that ourselves.....

11. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Evidently, Americans have been making those choices liberally for some time now [word choice not an accident].

12. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Yeah, spinning this pile of crap into gold strands is just not working for me. It's a very disappointing verdict, and now we know for sure that Roberts is another Kennedy, not a Scalia.

That being said, the sigline hasn't changed. I'm still for avoiding more disasters insread if encouraging them. There are no good choices this time around, except for the obvious choice of selecting the most conservative legislators you can find.

For all those Texans out there, Ted Cruz and the Tea Party need your help on 31 July. Don't abstain.

13. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

I'll be there ! ... :thumbsup:

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003

Actually, we don't know that. The man is at the pinnacle of his career, answerable only to his conscience and history. He gave us Heller and MacDonald and Citizen's United.

When someone like that does something like this, it's proper to dig deeper.

15. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    What Roberts did is the very definition of legislating from the bench. I don't know a single conservative who approves of judges writing--or as in this case re-writing--our laws. It is wrong when liberals do it, and it is wrong when so-called conservatives do it.

16. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    Your Texas sentence, does it have to have to do with Cruz wanting to opt out of Obamacare?

I ask because the article specifically mentioned Obamacare's collapse if TX opts out.

Like I've said in other threads I think Obama won the battle but lost the war. Many wars actually.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. Roberts' job isn't to play political games. He could have simply said that there is nothing in the Constitution that allows a law which forces any citizen to buy any thing. Instead he called this coercive healthcare law a tax, which it really isn't, and opened a Pandora's box we'll be dealing with for years to come.

18. Philo Beddoe

Philo Beddoe

Aug 27, 2010
    Alas, it begins to come into focus.

For the entirety of my 32-years in the construction business, I have marvelled at the intricate, patient game of chess that the old money families always play. The newbies, like me, scamper about busily making deals and and working feverishly to take care of next month's anmd next year's obligations and plans. But the old money doesn't need money for next month or next year, and thus they have the luxury of thinking much further out, and make much more money as a result.

I've watched the game the 2 biggest owners of real estate play in this area. They buy up farmland out southwest of town for $250/acre. They buy it by the sections. Then they quietly get their family members on school boards, on city councils, in mayoralships. Then they begin moving the town in the direct of their farmland, which they will sell for $10/sq. ft., pocketing a handsome profit of roughly $455,000 per acre.

It may have taken 15-20 years for this to happen, but that's how the old/smart money plays the game. We scrap for the pennies, and they position themselves for the tens of millions.

It appears that Justice Roberts may have been thinking further ahead than most of us can comprehend.

19. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
  20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    You're definitely paying attention. That's exactly how its played.