Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

The Cellar Dwellers (Gun Manufactures)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DaBurna, Apr 15, 2012.

1. DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    *No particular order*
    -Insert a Brand

These names seem to be continuously mentioned by people as to inherent design flaws, poor quality control, and poor materials.

I know ANYTHING man-made is subject to breakage and malfunction. However, reliability seems, and rightfully so is a major component of Brand Loyalty. Economics teaches us, "There is no supply where there is no demand." Wit that being said, are there a large contengency of gun consumers who will settle for less-than adequate function from these manufacturers?

Oftentimes, you do indeed get what you pay for. I don't have bookoos of discretionary income to buy a lot of the guns I think are cool. I'm fine with saving up, trading up, etc. to get into a quality firearms that I'm comfortable enough saying that the gun should be reliable.

How do these cats (pun intended) keep living another day to
    pull a "P.T. Barnum" on the next poor sap? That poor sap is often:
    -1st time purchaser
    -hasn't done prior research before making a purchase
    -can't pony up the ca$h to get a reputable manufacturer

I know that being cash strapped can severely hamper your ability to fund a "decently reliable platform", and I'd myself carry a Highpoint if I just HAD TO.... Believe you me, I'd be looking to upgrade as soon as my resources allowed such! Hey, in these times even a "Cellar Dweller" pistol is better than carrying rocks in your pocket for protection!:tongueout:
  2. wlkjr

Apr 9, 2012
    I handled a couple of Hi Points and didn't care for them. Looked cheap. I have 2 Kel Tecs and aren't impressed with them. Love the size and feel of the PF9 but it has feeding and ejection issues. May just be ammo related on it.

3. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    I wouldn't put KelTec or Taurus in that company. Never are top notch, but better than those other three.

I actualy want a KelTec PMR 30.
  4. I'd buy another KelTec before anything by Kahr or even Charter Arms.
  5. Sendarr

May 12, 2004
    Is use keltec. Never owned the others so no opinion

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  6. Sendarr

May 12, 2004
    I want most of the keltec lineup lol. A pmr30, su22, Su16c, KSG and maybe a plr22 for fun. The 22s with a can would be fun, and the keltec barrels come threaded

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  7. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    The wife and I have 3 Highpoint carbines and never a bobble from them. We also have 4 Taurus autos and one revolver with no problems. However, with both brands I was aware of the reputations and chose to "gamble" since the "jobs" of each were already covered by other guns. The reliability and accuracy of both brands was a pleasant "win" at the gaming tables. My wife has even taken one of the Taurus autos as her carry gun, and I just picked up a holster for the revolver to use as a "trail gun".
  8. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I agree. What I can't stand are those that either can't afford or have never had anything better than the lesser brands. I love how they will sit there and tell you that their el-cheepo gun is as good or better than a much better made one.

Then they go on to say that they would never own the better brand because they are junk, or not as accurate, ect. :upeyes:

(I guess they need to justify not being able to have, or not ever having one.:upeyes:)

You have got to love those that bash because they can't acquire. :supergrin:
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  9. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004

Happens all the time here :sad:
  10. arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Some of us are too busy with other endeavors to whack off to brand names. When you focus on one brand, or a group of brands, you start to lose objectivity when assessing a gun. Everyone's needs are not the same.
  11. Poor sap here that owns a Kel Tec and is very happy with it. Haven't owned the other brands so I will say nothing about them. I forgot! Have a stainless Taurus 85 snub. Had it over 20 years now an it's been a good one.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I agree.

I agree.
  13. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    I have seen gunshop salesmen pushing cheap guns on people who couldn't afford higher quality ones... Like high points and whatnot. That's why low quality gun companies have not all gone out of business.
  14. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Life is too short to own cheap, shoddily-built, badly-designed firearms.
  15. hsprincipal

Nov 19, 2011

I love my Kahr CW45 and CW9. Good quality at an affordable price. They aren't Glocks, Sigs, Walthers, S&W M&Ps, but they work and are solid little workhorses. Don't knock'em til you try'em. Just my .02 cents.
  16. clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    Having had both a PT1911 and a Kimber, I found my PT far more reliable. I can't say the PT was more accurate, though, as I was never able to get more than 3 or 4 rounds per magazine through the Kimber without a malfunction. But the PT is accurate enough. But the Kimber was prettier. I will give it that.
  17. ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you happen to find one grab it! It may be the most fun pistol i ever fired or owned. You'll love it!
  18. Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    I want one of those Kel-Tec RFBs, the .308 bullpup that uses FAL mags :)
  19. Crappy manufacturers? OK, I'll add a few to the list

Bond Arms
    SIG (Ok, just kidding)
    Charter Arms
  20. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

That brings up an interesting point. Kimber had a run where things didn't go so well. My old Kimber has worked just fine and my wife's new kimber works fine. The early S&W 59s had some problems but the "third generations' are encountring a new desirability. isn't it possible that we could extend a little slack to other makers? After all, if you just write off "Taurus" on name, you are writing off the 92 which is made on the original Beretta equipment and has IMO a superior safety.