Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

The call finaly came!

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Central Texan, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Central Texan

Central Texan AmericanSoldier

Dec 27, 2002
    My Section SGT called me last week while I was on the road (just got back home) and said to pack up, we're deploying! We are headed to NE Iraq but that's all the info I know so far about where we'll be.
    I report to Ft Hood tomorrow (20 Dec. 04) and I believe we are expecting to deploy March or April. From what I'm being told we should be getting the new ACU's instead of DCU's. Either way it doesnt realy matter to me, I'm just glad to finaly be going!
  2. MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    Good luck!

You and the others are in my prayers :)

3. Cagey

Sep 1, 2003
    New Jersey
    Best of luck and come back home safe. You'll be in our thoughts every day.
  4. GlockinHood

Sep 29, 2003
    Good luck brother. Godspeed.

5. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

Mar 1, 2002
    RFD South Georgia
    Watch your six. Stay safe. GODSPEED TEXAN.
  6. Don 'ol52

Don 'ol52

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks for your service friend and please come back alive and in one piece.
  7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Oct 27, 2003
    Renegade State
    What they said.
    BTW, people should take note of the last sentence in your initial post. That's what keeps me optimistic about America and Americans.
    Thanks for what you're doing. Keep in touch.
  8. Central Texan

Dec 27, 2002
    Believe me, there's a LOT more who feel the same as me, they just dont get as much exposure. Guess soldiers who want to do their job doesnt appeal as much as a whiney no-backbone reservist/guardsman who only joined for free school.

I recieved some more info this past week. We are planning on being boots on the ground in late Feb. I also learned where we will be stationed but I'm not sure if I'm suppose to say yet or not, but it's in the north central area of Iraq.
    I also learned that we will be living in actual rooms, not tents like I was thinking. There will be high speed internet access in each 2 man room, so if I'm able to get a hold of a lap top I'll be able to report in more often. I like the idea of being able to use instant messanger to keep in touch with friends and family each night instead of waiting in line for the phones.

Oh yea, I also found out that I've been assigned a SAW!!! HOOAH!!
  9. adaptable

Dec 17, 2004
    College Park, MD
    Hey now, don't hate on all reservists because of the "one weekend a month, my ass" guys. Some of us joined to get some and we're ready to go.

Good luck out there. Oorah!
  10. Wow, wish we had HS internet in our room, hell i wish we had a room, this is my 2nd time here in less than 2 years, were in a parking garage that leaks, its awsome, it flooded with sewage earlier before we arrived. Its all good it definatly beats sleeping in a ditch.

If its your first time over here, bring plenty of socks, and use some anti perperant on your feet, it will keep em from getting so damn wet. Also buy some cheap wrap around clear saftey glasses, and buy a couple pairs, so if you break em it you have another pair.

Your going to find out alot of the local natinals, have a altered sense of reality.

DONT GET COMPLACENT, always look like a predator and not prey, dont lower your eyes to any arab. When the local use alot of hand guestures and exesive amount of movement with there hands, its a form of yelling at you, dont let em do it.

Dont let the kids get to you especially the 8-15 year old range, weve had them throw grenades at us, and also they are used for observation. Oh if you get to your FOB and theres a bunch stupid rules just fallow em.

Oh expect things to change 2 times every five minutes for awhile.

Oh and dont expect to get what they have been telling you, it could happend or it could not happen.
  11. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Jul 19, 2003
    FT Campbell
    You aren't a gun bunny are you?

If you don't have a 3 MegaPixel or better camera already get one. Even if you only have access to the NET via an MWR tent you can get some good pics back. Keep your head down and don't let anybody w/o old glory on their sleeve outta your sight.;)

I guarantee by the time you get back you will never curse a cloudy/rainy day for the rest of your life:cool:
  12. Bonk

Bonk Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    Good luck, and come back in one piece.

13. erikd65

Sep 26, 2004
    Spokane, Washington
    Keep OPSEC in mind when posting pictures....
  14. kfoley

kfoley Break glass

Feb 2, 2004
    Godspeed soldier ;? Stay safe.
  15. On the whole camera thing, bring one just dont take pictures of stuff you shouldnt be doing or shouldnt be taking pictures of. Its pretty much to protect your self. Oh bring your self a usb memory stick too, they come in handy especially if your not allowed to hook digital camreas the the MWR computers (ours your not allowed to)you can usally use a memory stick.
  16. Central Texan

Dec 27, 2002
    No no no no no, I dont hate reservists, I AM a reservist. I just cant stand the ones that give the rest of us a bad rap.

"You aren't a gun bunny are you?"
    Sorry, I havent been in the military too long and havent heard that term yet. So not being sure what it refers to I cant realy answer that question.

Thank yall for all the tips and advice. Keep it rollin in if yall got any more!

Thanks again for all the well wishes and possitive feed back.
  17. ebigfish

ebigfish FinsUp! FinsUp!

Feb 28, 2003
    God bless you and keep you safe, Central Texan, and thank you for your service.
  18. dad11345

Dec 18, 2002
    Murfreesboro, Tn
    God Bless you and yours and come back safe. Use your training to give your foe every opportunity to give their lives for their cause.

Be careful about how much info you give about were your being deployed to in Irag and when your boots will be on the ground there.
    New in country may make your unit a target in itself.
  19. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Jul 19, 2003
    FT Campbell
    You used the term "section chief" which is generally associated with gunbunnies(artillerymen). There are no SGT's, SSG's and SFC's we have chiefs, gunny, and smoke - we also don't say hooa!, we say "check".;)