the barter economy has begun

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by boone10, Jan 16, 2013.

1. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

Someone in my state recently listed a pistol (that I was interested in) for $500 on Armslist--overpriced even in this current frenzy. I contacted him to offer a cash/ammo deal. Strangely, he quickly responded that an ALL ammo/no cash deal would be fine. I made an offer of a few bricks of .22, but someone "outbricked me" and got the gun.

At the gun show last weekend, I saw ammo of all flavors being traded/bartered for several different items of value. If this isn't the beginning of the "barter economy" that most of us thought could happen, its a damn good "dress rehearsal".

Intelligent people seem to be choosing gold, silver, and even brass over paper right now. Sad thing is, to be truly prepared, we MUST hold onto a certain amount of "paper" simply because it still IS the currency of today. How much longer? Who knows? I guess the trick is to hold onto some of everything OR you better be damn good at timing the collapse.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 boone10, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Silver Barter? The Okie Corral Jan 6, 2014
    Alcohol for barter Survival/Preparedness Forum Nov 3, 2013
    Cigarettes as barter Survival/Preparedness Forum Sep 23, 2013
    Storing Whisky for future barter Survival/Preparedness Forum Jun 26, 2013
    Bartering observation Survival/Preparedness Forum Jan 19, 2013

3. kirgi08

kirgi08 Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

It's never ended,it goes on all over the US.'08.

4. Probably trading simply because they don't have cash.

Cash is still good (for now). If you don't think so, send whatever you have to me!

5. R_W

R_W

Or trading for things you can't buy right now. Like guns or ammo.

6. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

I need to stock up on malted barley. Three weeks later I'll have something valuable to trade.

7. Strippers and blow, these 2 commodities never go outta style...

8. it's not a suprise. You couldn't find a case fo 223 even if you were willing to pay $5,000 for 1k rounds. It's a supply demand thing. Ammo, mags and assault rifles are going to be in very high demand. It's less about the price and more about the availability.. or lack there of.. You had something he either couldn't get, didn't want to try to hunt down, or thought the trade was fair. Not a bad gig. One of the reasons I got some extra g17 mags a few weeks ago when a store locally had them in stock. I can't wait to see what the madhouse is at the next gun show.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I guess you can store blow, but storing strippers might present some problems.:whistling:

10. How many cases do you want at 5k/each?

I'll make it happen.

11. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

What are you talking about? They store great in my freezer. :supergrin::rofl:

12. I see that bartering happening more and more online. Its a good deal if you bought something cheap and dont want to sell it but wouldnt mind trading it for something you wanted.

13. Speaking of I have a barter offer for two ar 30 round mags. He is giving me choice of parsons precision, tapco, windham weaponry, or colt metal mags. What should I pick for resale value?

14. That is absolute no-brainer (if you are not joking)

COLT

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Stop trying to rip people off. What's wrong with you?:steamed:

I'll do a case for $4k each.:whistling:

Only the heads.:wavey:

The rest of the body is too hard to stuff in a regular family sized fridge.:faint:

16. I've got a case of green tip available to the first $3,500....see if we can drive these prices DOWN.

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You have apparently never heard of Gunbroker.

www.gunbroker.com

If you think that $5k couldn't get 1k rounds of .223 (at any point) you were most certainly 'doing it wrong'

Hell, you probably could have staked out a local gun store for an hour or less and found somebody willing to do that

#17 Warp, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  18. I barter all the time. So does everyone else i know.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

If you are in a relationship with someone, or if you are married, you definitely are bartering.

20. Last week, I traded a Brett Favre and Peyton Manning autographed helmet for 60 pounds of prime Porterhouses and Primerib roasts.

Last night, I paid a locksmith with ammo for services.