close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

The Bailout Of The US Postal Service Begins...........

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by snerd, Apr 26, 2012.

1. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
  2. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Well, well, well, it looks like the republicans effort to reward ups and fedex by putting the USPS out of business is running into trouble. Excellent. This is the precise sort of government interference to which no business should be subjected. In this case, the requirement that the USPS fully fund pension requirements 70 years into the future even for persons not yet even born who the USPS will one day employ is simply stupid. It is required of no other business. It only reflects efforts of the republicans to destroy the USPS because it is one of if not the largest union memberships in the U.S. Another factor would have to be the large number of African-Americans who are members of the postal workers union. It's just stupid politics. Removing this completely unjustified legislation designed only to damage the interest of postal workers and the public is a idea whose time has come.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    We won't be putting the USPS out of business anytime soon, not unless there is a constitutional convention in the works. It's mandated by Art 1 Sec 8 Clause 7.

It's also allowed to run at a defict if I remember correctly.

4. All true, but the Constitution does not define how it is to be run. It could be reduced to a agency that subcontracts all of its work to FEDEX/UPS.

5. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Very true.

6. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    That's an expensive stamp.

7. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    All true, but the Constitution does not define how it is to be run. It could be reduced to a agency that subcontracts all of its work to FEDEX/UPS.

Why?

8. rpadgett2

rpadgett2

Feb 14, 2005
    Florida
    They should let them downsize. Let the people that still use the Post Office pay more for the service. I don't want to subsidize a service I don't use.

9. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

Where would government be if everyone felt like that ? .....:whistling:

10. rpadgett2

rpadgett2

Feb 14, 2005
    Florida
    Better off??

We're not talking about an essential service here like SS or medicare. It's the post office. This is a political move because no one want people to lose jobs in their state.

11. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Oct 10, 2007
    A government agency is the closest thing to eternal life.

It is a shame it has been run into the ground as I like the USPS and it is one government agency I can personally see accomplish something useful.

12. Unions and libs are the ones messing with capitalism, if they are a failing buisiness let them figure it out or turn the lights out. as for pensions, tax dollars don't belong there

13. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    If that the case should we get rid of your local PD or since you don't use them? I agree there is a lot of bloat in the PO to trim but they do provide a service the nation overall needs.

14. Syclone538

Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    "The Congress shall have power to ... To establish post offices and post roads; ... "

It does not say Congress shall establish post offices and post roads. It says they have the power to, not that they have to use that power.

15. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Hum... let me fix this for you.... "I don't use the Coast Guard. I don't use the National Park Service. I don't use the Veterans Hospitals. I don't use the National Weather Service. I don't use NASA. I don't use the U.S. Geological Survey or its products. I don't use the various farm programs. I don't use any of the nuclear programs of the fed. govt. All of these and many other fed. govt. agencies/institutions do absolutely nothing for me. So... let's close them all down. Those that use them or need them... let them pay the full cost. I don't want to subsidize a service I don't use." Now... that's much better!!!

16. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Hold on there! The PD is "different." You've got to compare programs that are mutually disliked... not these and other ones that provide income, employment, etc. to the ones who want to do away with the USPS because of their fear of the Postal Workers union.

17. syntaxerrorsix

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    That's probably the worst argument I've heard so far.

18. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Essential? It is Constitutionally mandated in the same way the armed forces are mandated. To pretend otherwise is simply a exercise in fantasy. If the USPS is not needed, then exactly the same case can be made for the military... etc. After all, if everything is to be done at the cheapest possible cost, and with an eye to doing whatever will destroy a legitimate postal workers union, then exactly the very same logic would say to eliminate the various military services along with all of the obviously unneeded based, equipment, etc. Why any need for such armed services could be much cheaper provided by hiring mercenaries. Of course... some would protest... at the potential lak of effectiveness... and of course the loss of jobs, etc.

19. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Capitalism is only a economic system. That is all. It is one of several. I personally think that it is the most effective. But, unrestrained capitalism ... no. If that fries someone's grits, they'll just have to develop a new taste.

The USPS is entirely self-supporting. It is not funded with tax dollars. Those who think otherwise are simply ignorant of the facts.

As to pensions... let all the little boys who think requiring a business to fully fund generations of payments in a 10 year period just trot over to their own little business (if they run one) and implement that system. What? You think that would damage your business? Hum? Well, maybe that's the reason republicans in a lame-duck session jammed this through... to damage the USPS and attack the Postal Workers Union. After all... the republicans needed to pay off those campaign contributions from UPS, FedEx, etc. And... the republicans likely don't expect to drive off to many votes since union members stereotypically are expected to vote demokrat.

20. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Guess this is about like the military. The fed. govt. has the power to establish it? But they don't necessarily have to use that power? Or... maybe the founding fathers wrote these little bits into the Constitution with the natural expectation that these little bits would be actually put into place. Yep! That rational sure does make sense. In fact, it makes very good sense.